1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Future for Non-leeching Oddjobs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Pixel, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    6:40 AM
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    I was thinking about this, as i was talking to a few perma beginners

How hard it is to tell the difference of beginners in the rankings, while Islanders are easy to tell apart since they dont leave Victoria Island

There's many beginners and other odd job classes that while many don't pursue recognition , do deserve it and in LeechStory is hard to know, who's legit doing it the hard way and who is piggybacking from their bishop.

Here's a few suggestions regarding this topic, and feel free to discuss or dismiss them if too complex/dumb.

1.- Add a binding command for odd jobs and giving them ranking

Beginners before leaving Maple Island have the option to use the command @//IronBeginner
    Which will make them qualify for perma beginner ranking once they leave victoria
    However they will no longer obtain exp from any party members and it can't be disabled from then on

While this affect beginners during PQ , it would also make the PQ route not as ''free'' still helpful but make it a biiiiit slower, and no this isnt the nerf of the century but is a little price to pay to stand out

2.- Add Beginners to EPQ.

With the recents buffs to PQs i feel like Beginners would benefit from having it there, now i dont know the full extent if this can really be coded in, so this is just mostly like a wishlist for Santa Kimmy

And ...if every class has a helmet of one of the people
    Who would Beginners use?
    idk either a kimmy hat or lazy lazy tess with a cash outfit of the level 10 pirate
    [​IMG] stand1_0.png

Edit:Apparaently it's a thing already, so crossed out (tho consider the Tess even tho apple is funny)

3.- About Oddjobs,
    Naming every oddjob feels like a hard task to do,
    I was thinking once, the ironbeginner command was put, and if they job advance, a window would appear, from admin or kimmy that let them pick

Either pick one of the few common oddjobs of their type, or disable the ironbeginner option (and being unable to use it again since they're no longer in maple island anymore)

E.G. Player advances to Magician , despite being in the ironbeginner command

Grendel: Wait a minute, you made a contract that keeps you from job advancing , explain yourself
    -I wanted to be a STR Mage! (Okay, but a reminder you're required to have 20 INT and NO MORE otherwise you'll be removed from the rankings)
    -I wanted to be a Perma Magician! (Okay , but if you job advance you'll be disqualified)
    -I wanted to be a Magelet! (Okay, but you're required to have 20 INT and no more etc etc)
    -I made a mistake, i just want to explore! (Fair enough, we taken you off the list, go and enjoy your adventures!)

(Not that the system would be coded inthe job advance NPC but basically the job advance reminding them that breaking their own rules would instantly kick them from rankings)

Of course there would be a few things hard to monitor, like Dagger warriors , which can put str and stuff.. But that's the overall idea,

4.- What about previous Beginners

This is probably the biggest issue, and i think is just like a bit of work, which i wouldnt want to ask from the GMs, but it would bring fairness

That any current Perma beginner/Odd job , can submit their application to be recognized as a legit non-leech beginner/oddjob

''But how do we verify that they didn't leech''
    I mean...is on their leveling log, we know it exists, that people can see where their level up history was

So it would be clear if Beginner150, has had Ulu leech from 90-150 or GS leech or Wraith Or WR and WS,

Obviously spots where beginners can't really grind themselves

Instead if most of their history is like
    ''PPQ, OPQ, KPQ'' it would qualify , since they didnt quite leech from a mage but just PQ'd or grind

It would help incentivize the whole oddjob/non-islander beginners, to play a more relaxing way and receive their clout of not being leeched on their struggling journey

Idk what do you think

• Like Like x 2
  2. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    1:40 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Beginners can already do EPQ, they get the apple suit when they do.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    They do? I thought it was disabled, seen beginners in all PQs (yes in ML) but EPQ i thought it wasnt a thing

4. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    1:40 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    Well im happy about that, i sit corrected

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    7:40 AM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    This seems like it would be much better served by a community leaderboard than by the game/server. It's a lot of dev work for a very small subset of the community, and they can't account for every single kind of Oddjob and all their edge cases.

Also if people want to leech their Beginner to 200 then they should be perfectly allowed to do that- I always found it a bit odd how ironically strict the community rules are for going "off meta".

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cowbelle

Cowbelle Mushmom

Jul 11, 2020
    Female
    4:40 AM
    Cowbelle
    Beginner
    Homies
    Completely agree. I would much rather this type of dev work go towards something that would benefit the majority of the playerbase. Oddjobs/permabeginners are a job that, for the majority of the cases, should not have any changes that would incentivize a player to choose this class. We are intentionally playing classes as they should /not/ be played.

On separate rankings and leechstory:
    There was a thread I will link here that actually had a good discussion on rankings and recognition. I will shamelessly repost my thoughts below:
    I personally admire how inviting the oddjob community is. I think that, firstly, that can be attributed to people like deerdeer, SlimeSlime, and others who are some of the most incredibly welcoming people I have ever met.. But this is also one of the only scenarios in MapleStory that seeing someone of your "class" is a good enough reason to add them into your buddy list. It would be a shame to start dividing ourselves and stirring up drama of who is legit vs. non legit, and making decisions on what makes someone in the "in" crowd vs. not. I would hate for someone to hear how awesome the oddjob community is to then immediately feel "lesser-than" because they leeched 21-30 instead of KPQed, for example.

And finally, on recognition:
    I wrote this a couple months ago and I already have a differing opinion, hehe. I am no longer frustrated when I see someone pass me that leeched their way up (heck, a friend created ReplaceBelle and has soared past my level in no time!) because I've come to realize that their accomplishments have no effect on my recognition or journey. I saw my friends were just as excited for me to hit my next level goal, even if I had dropped 10 spots in the rankings. I still have quite hard rules for myself (I don't leech on my beginner) but if I decided to modify those some day in the future, it wouldn't take away from the hard work I've put in so far and the happiness my friends have felt for me, and I hope that the oddjob community would still be as warm and welcoming as they are now.

AND HONESTLY, leeching a beginner is its own form of masochism. All of that time could be spent leeching an attacker or "true" class -- and yet they choosee to leech a beginner which will have /literally/ no value. If someone gets to 200 through leeching.. props to them, honestly. It's kinda nuts... the same kind of nuts that we all are for making a beginner anyways. I love it!

Anyways, hopping off my soapbox, but I feel as if keeping us all in the same mixing pot is the best way forward.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    2:40 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    100% agree with FeeedFeeed and CowbelleCowbelle 's every point

FoxShy

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    9:40 PM
    A player's 'Level History' only tells you where you last levelled your character. It's inaccurate to rely on this to know if someone has or has not leeched.

Lower-levelled characters can also turn in ETC items to the Orbis Exchange. That's comparable to leeching. It just isn't done whilst in a party.

10. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    4:40 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    There's nothing wrong with leeching a beginner or an oddjob, this is leechstory after all.