1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cast Avenger at melee range

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jolly_Walker, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Jolly_Walker

Jolly_Walker Chronos

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    8:59 PM
    JollyWalker
    I/L Arch Mage
    The title says it all. Let hermits and Night Lords cast avenger at melee range.

Night Lords are the worst mobbing class in the game and even with this change I would believe that they will still be the worst. Most if not all Night Lords multiclient with their mage to carry them across all content in the game except at bosses.

This would be a QOL improvement for solo card hunting, questing and farming for Night Lords that dont want to rely on a seperate mage client to do those task.

The only "issue" i can think of is that this makes Night Lords potentially viable to grind at 7F, but even then they would probably get carried by their partner and have weaker eph than all other classes over there.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Creative Creative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    You must have played your NL wrongly.

3. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    2:59 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Get the ninja storm ability and all your problems are gone, my friend

Srsly the only reason NLs suck sometimes is because of the “we need range” thing

4. OP
    OP
    Jolly_Walker

Jolly_Walker Chronos

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    JollyWalker
    I/L Arch Mage
    I have ninja storm at lvl15, it feels like crap tho, Usually find myself needing to cast it 3-4 time to push the mobs away. Maybe at level 30 the success rate is high enough to not feel like crap (I will go try it), but I don't think that skill is that accessible to max since skill points go to TT30, SC30, MW10 first, so earliest you can get it max is lvl153. Pre-153 mobbing ability being crap is still an issue.

Edit: i forgot about shifter, so make that lvl 163

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    3:59 PM
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    I actually thought of writing a thread about it my self.
    I think shadow star (/claw) nerf justify tweak improvements with other skills such as
    1.ninja storm- let it work from LV 1 (like rush/dragon breath and etc ) and increase the distance it pushes within levels..
    2. Improve DMG of avenger - the DMG is actually pathetic right now and another 20% will make it fair
    3. Ninja ambush - I think this skill got the be reworked -
    Option 1) convert it to a passive skill that hits with % of success when mobs got hit by the player (same as Venomous Star)
    Option 2 ) increase the range of it and add attack - current state with 30sb it attacks with 100% DMG which is again.. too weak for grinding.
    4. Kinda off topic - delete shadow meso and replace it with meso guard - yet don't make it as good as it is for shadowers.. but maybe it would be fair if it could tank like 20%of DMG ? Cause this skill rn is not even a meme skill (shadow meso)
    5. Shadow web - increase the range of it and make it at least 90% success. right now u got to almost stand on the mob and spam this skill untill it works... So again pointless..
    6. Melee distance for avenger - make NL able to grind and not rely on leeches - isn't that what we are always trying to achieve (as game inspection) ?? Kinda sad that NL need leech at whatever level.. (cause his only chance to get exp is bossing which is not achievable task for us as working people)
    You may not like everything I said but just keep in mind, NL is the only class that can't train and this state got to change.. this is just some option that came in my mind.. peace OnionSmart

• Creative Creative x 4
  6. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    When everything falls apart flash jump away. Also jump attacking helps since the claw melee range is kinda small (bowman is stupidly big and you will melee a mob from the other corner of the map). And yeah even if you get down a good way to grind around NL still suck and you better boss for exp or leech.

7. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    10:59 PM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    With the best avoid, mobility, and damage (in some bosses), I think there's still a little too much incentive to pick night lords over other ranged jobs in this game. Fixing shadow star was a step in the right direction for balance, but if anything we could still use a nerf. I know night lord is the worst grinder in the game but I still feel like buffing our ability to grind is not warranted right now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    5:59 AM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    no , because it should work on boss maps too D:<

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Jolly_Walker

Jolly_Walker Chronos

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    JollyWalker
    I/L Arch Mage
    The flash jumping away to kill mobs only works if you can clear the mobs before they reach you. In most cases, you need to aggro all the mobs on a platform and lure them to one side, else you are just flash jumping into more mobs. Also, if as much as one mob spawn on top of you, you're screwed and have to reposition again. I can only personally compare with my own I/L (yes i know it's one of the best 3rd job mobbing class in the game), which is able to clear 3x-5x the mobs my NL can using ice strike.

Bowman has arrow rain which has 180% damage, can cast at melee range and covers a large area, Avenger which is also 180% damage can't be casted at melee range and only AOE in a straight line in front.

But yeah, totally agree no matter how much you optimise, you'll still be better off leeching or camping anego.

Update on ninja storm:
    I've got it to lvl30, the success rate is high enough that usually 1 cast and you can go back to damaging mobs. If you are unlucky then you might need 2 casts, but its uncommon. It's a great skill that helps with mobbing. Still it is very inaccessable at needing lvl 163+, and half investing in the skill is pointless at lvl15 its useless.

Something like this is also a good way to improve the QOL of grinding on NL class.

10. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    As mentioned before:
    Night Lord: class with by far the highest single target DPS in the game, which is achieved while standing still, holding a button and barely ever getting hit. High mobility, stable damage, best scaling, meso up buff.
    Cons: poor mobbing and solo grinding ability

seems fair no?

EDIT; avenger is 180% base damage, so 270% with shadow partner. Whereas arrow rain is 180%.
    Higher % damage at disadvantage of having to move, also seems fair.

just go look for less mob heavy maps where the class does work well

11. Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    3:59 PM
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    just keep in mind that NL has lower overall WA than archer. so if you compare dmg I bet 270% dmg of nl (180+90) vs 180%of archer - > archer will win.
    never check that though, if someone did, it will be nice to see numbers.
    after that been said, if you cant blast ur skill and FJ side to side to be able to cast your skill, dmg comparation is pointless..

12. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    The only reason most NLs rely on leeching now is NOT because they can't mob, but because of the choices players make for heavy washing with 300-400 INT base.

There is always a way to grind, and not just bossing. Of course bossing sounds more fun and efficient, but that does not take away the option of grinding.
    We tend to overlook class differences when we compare EPH and DPM. Other cleaver classes may have better EPH with mobbing, that is true but it doesn't mean NLs can't train/grind. You can still train, you'll just get a lower EPH compared to classes that are designed to kill multiple mobs more efficiently, but that is just the way it is. Just don't compare between classes as it will mislead your suggestions to make every class master of all trades.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Jolly_Walker

Jolly_Walker Chronos

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    JollyWalker
    I/L Arch Mage
    I really disagree with this statement. Even for a NL with base 4, it is so not worthwile to grind on it unless you are killing a boss, at least for me I cannot find a way to beat a solo 1hit petri self leech ~40m eph, at most can get a EPH of around 25m without being carried by others and at that point self leech at ulu2 as a MU mule is a better option.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. raysinz5

raysinz5 Mr. Anchor

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    8:59 AM
    I/L Mage
    I've been playing NL completely "incorrectly" because I've been grinding up until almost 16x with little bossing. There's actually many viable options pre 4th job for NL grinding besides CDs such as the censor map in shaolin. The mobs don't hit too high and it is very easy to pin and reposition in this map. Most importantly, the nature of the mobs allow you to hit them without punching them every so often. I've grinded here through the "hellish levels" which are 100-120 in just a couple of hours per level. The thing about avenger is the cast time is very quick, so when you actually manage to pin mobs down, you can clear them very quickly. Also, this ability can go through walls, unlike triple throw and lucky seven.

I've personally tried 7F with the valentine's basket early 15x. Without ninja storm, I usually average upper 1X million xp/hr and peaking 20million xp/hr using avenger. Keep in mind I get bonus 1.1x xp due to basket. Half the time, I end up punching mobs/ repositioning because the giants are pretty thicc!

This buff to avenger would drastically improve early game night lords/hermits, which is unnecessary. We can essentially grind at any map such as galloperas without any repercussions when normally we couldn't, or just hold down avenger and take a nap in a flat map. Also, it removes the only skill expression(haha ik NL and skill don't belong in the same sentence) that night lords need, which is reposition.

This being said, one ability that should be buffed is venomous star. At higher levels, mobs get much tankier and you end up using avenger 10+ times just to clear a group of mobs. Extra damage from venomous star could be very beneficial to clear mobs. I think making the success rate 60% or increasing the damage by 1.5x would be pretty helpful. This ability is not maxed until much later, so I think buffing this ability would not be that overpowered.

I think the most appropriate buff to avenger would just be flat out increasing the damage. An increase in 25% damage isn't going to magically make our class a viable grinding class. We just go from the worst grinding class to slightly less worse, but still the worst grinding class, which is okay. Making avenger castable in melee would actually be pretty busted in crowded maps like 7f, which I would not mind of course :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. jusin

jusin Red Snail

Apr 18, 2021
    Male
    jusin
    Thief
    Do you have the exact name of the shaolin map you trained on? I’m very curious to try!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. raysinz5

raysinz5 Mr. Anchor

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    I/L Mage
    shaolin.PNG
    I was a bit more funded than usual, had a 51 att skanda, 4 base int, dexless, coke pills. But if it takes me slightly less than 3 hours to level. You can definitely do it in 4 hrs if you have moderate funds + base int.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    Do they have SE?

18. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    5:59 AM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Avenger as a 3rd job skill is actually better than other ranged classes mobbing considering you have shadow partner. Arrow rain/erruption deal 180% dmg at max level, the same skill damage as avenger. It’s probably mostly accurate to imagine avenger having 270% skill damage in comparison.

Though bowmen get their own OP skills in 4th job that swing the pendulum dramatically in their favor, like SE and Piercing Shot. A minor buff to Avenger is probably warranted for this reason, as NLs don’t really get any fancy new tricks in comparison besides ninja storm, which requires at least 9 levels of SP to be even remotely consistent.

As for the original suggestion though, I disagree that this is the way to buff it, as ninja storm does exist. That skill can use a buff instead to be usable earlier but this suggestion would just destroy a part of the NL toolkit and play style. No bueno

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. day4day

day4day Brown Teddy

Aug 7, 2017
    Male
    9:59 AM
    Beginner
    u had HS mule on those trainings at China: Shaolin Temple Square? or just urself? i'll try to go there with my hermit, i have 120 base int, but i have HS mule and some good equips, i hope it goes well. Ty for the tips!

20. raysinz5

raysinz5 Mr. Anchor

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    I/L Mage
    I didn't use an HS mule. You will eventually get the hang of repositioning/gathering mobs over time. If mobs are stuck behind terrain, use avenger since lucky seven/TT doesn't go through.