1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of MapleLegends Economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Akhenaton, May 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZachBot

ZachBot Blue Snail

Nov 21, 2021
    Male
    8:17 PM
    This thread easily has some of the most insane room temp IQ, smooth brain, lukewarm takes I have ever read. Everyone's shitting on Ryan while there are players sitting on 40k coins, while there are players who along with their guild have ALREADY shown that they can completely fuck the ML market a.e a few months ago with coin prices (no names being mentioned, no shade being thrown). With there being multiple people other than Ryan who mass buy 30% scrolls and mark them up for 3x Ryan's rates. Like legit just farm the shit yourself if you are uncomfortable paying the price it's set at. Its. That. Simple.

This message is specifically for the amazing OP hiding behind a burner account <3

For pieces of time: As Blen said, It. Is. A. Luxury.
    If you are buying pieces of time, you are already capable of bossing and most likely have a mage or some sort of attacker. There are 3 options
    1. Literally farm them yourself and stop being lazy and bitching about it on the fourms, yelling into an empty void, and harassing a player that is playing the game as it was intended.
    2. Boss/Sell leech and make meso yourself.
    3. Get good and stop being insecure about mushroom game.

Nothing that Ryan is doing is ToS.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    2:17 AM
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    absolutely legendary post my man

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    My point is that less than four days after they returned to 5m after being jacked up to 10m, they returned to 10m again as the mercher bought up even more bow 30s to further monopolize and consolidate the market. Only this time the seller now indicated they have at least 154 bow 30s (dated December 1, 2022), controlling over 90% of the bow 30s market. Since then, almost 6 months ago, the minimum and average prices have continued to rise and rise. I estimate that they'll continue to rise until the min/avg price reaches 10m and the mercher can liquidate their stock for a full 2x profit. How long will these prices remain irrational? I think they could probably continue for at least another 6 months and maybe even into 2024. That is my point. I think it is obvious to anyone without rose-tinted glasses that this is what is occurring.
    I would prefer if you bought out the bow 30s and tried to merch them for 20m each. That would REALLY drive the point home.
    "And yes, as I said in the OwlRepo Note, analyzing the prices of ML items over time is inherently going to be flawed no matter what you try to do or what method you use. There is only so much publicly available data that can be analyzed and drawn from. Even with Owlrepo, we don't know how much of an item is selling and at what price it is selling for. If you have a better way to accurately analyze price indexes over time in ML please feel free to share it."
    Yes, recently you are selling only 59 bow 30s, but I can imagine you probably have at least 3x that if not more to consolidate your hold on the market and artificially drive up prices
    We'll my attacker account is BM so the artificially inflated prices of bow 30s do directly impact me and my enjoyability of the game. Pardon me if that sounds selfish but I think people who intend to actually use scrolls on items is a more efficient distribution of the market-economy than having them sit in someone's inventory who has previously said they have no intention of ever self-scrolling anything.
    Thank you for finally taking the chance to move the conversation forward. This is the next part of the discussion and regardless of whether there is a viable solution or not I think it is something that needs to be considered and discussed.
    Buying things at inflated prices that are not reflective of their real value does impact me. I am losing money if I purchased them by virtue of it being artificially inflated.
    Yes and watching meso number/attack range go up in mushroom game is also something most people would consider realistically useless. People have their own goals and judging other people's perception of what is fun and stepping on other peoples toes to get there doesn't seem like the right way to build community. Jewelry and luxury cars are for the most part completely useless in real life and yet they are billion dollar industries.
    I'm just pointing out the bow 30s and the PoTs because they seem to be the most obvious examples to me, with the bow 30s being particularly impactful to me. I am open to discussing the other avenues of gaming the mushroom game economy if you want to do that.
    My forum name is literally my BM name. My bishop name is WiseWalnut. I am not hiding anything, and I'm not even sure what good having a burner does or how it diminishes my arguments. This is my first post in the forum because I am predominately a lurker, however the situation has gotten to the point where I felt that it needed to be addressed.
    If you took the time to even read the first post, you would see that I agree that none of this is against ToS.
    I know this is an inflammatory post but could you at least pretend to have this discussion with some respect for other people playing the game without patronizing and belittling? It would be appreciated

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    5:17 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    What's the "correct" price of Bow 30s?

5. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    I think that's a difficult question and there is never one answer since the market does fluctuate based on actual demand and actual supply. But I think that bow prices have not been reflective of actual demand and supply since at least March 2023. Realistically if I had to guess, right now they are probably actually worth somewhere between 5-6m.

6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Your error is in assuming goods have a static market price. If people are buying bow30s at 9m, their market price is 9m. If people want to sell them at 5m, 10m, or 20m, that's their right -- as it is the right for the buyers to not participate in buying. The only 'problem' here is that these merchers were more diligent in accumulating scrolls at a discount than you were. You both had equal opportunity to buy them at whatever prices they were before.

This is such a shit take. Ironically, you don't even know what Ryan wants to do with his stockpile of goods. What if I told you that he has a BM too? Is he now justified in his hoarding? Is any type of merching considered immoral since the goal is profit? Rules for thee, none for me, yeah?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    I never said that goods have a static market price. Rather, I am saying that the bow 30s for example are not reflective of real forces of supply and demand. They are artificially inflated. Demand can increase and decrease as the meta changes and updates come and people do different things. But there really hasn't been anything to indicate that the bow 30 prices should rise as much as they are within the past few months.
    Also, ryan has literally said in his ama post: "Those who know me, know I barely ever scroll myself. I believe scrolling and gambling is a scam and I don't partake."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    What makes them worth that much?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    Actual supply and demand

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Could you elaborate further?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    They've been previously between 4-6m with a max of 6m, min of around 3-4m for the past two years according to owl repo, sometimes even as low as 3m though. But somehow within 6 months the minimum price has miraculously jumped up by 2m to a minimum of 6m, and the maximum price by 4m from 6m to 10m within the past 6 months. So, I believe they are right now around the same actual price as they were in early November 2022 (5-6m).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    It's interesting how weapon scroll prices fluctuate with balance changes and meta changes. As time has gone on, I've only ever seen items like Crossbow for Att and Gun for Att go down in price. Many endgame players specifically create, level, and gear characters for nothing except Pink Bean, and recent Balance Changes have edged Corsairs out of the meta. I'm not sure why Marksmen continue to lose popularity over time; perhaps it is the lack of Buccs.

Regardless, we live in an era where Mages, Nightlords, and archers, especially, for whatever reason, Bowmasters, are king, with Buccs also enjoying a level of popularity. This is all reflected in the weapon scroll prices for Wands, Claws, and Bows. What's particularly interesting is recent Balance Changes to add scrolls to drop tables they previously did not exist on. Whereas Nightghosts is a popular farming spot for low level and unfunded characters maintaining a steady supply of Claw 30s and Death Teddies serves the same for Wands, Bows do not have a popular farming spot. Nobody levels characters or farms money at Reindeers and Blue Wyverns, leading to an inconsistent supply, mostly from CWKPQ and whatever Gachas people happen to be farming. If Bowmasters were as popular as Night Lords, I wouldn't be surprised for the scroll availability to drop down to less than 1 page on Owl; as is, the only reason Bow 30s manage to remain so low is the fact that BMs are eclipsed in popularity by NLs by quite a significant margin, and there is already a healthy supply of already scrolled Bows that circulate.

You say you "believe" they should be worth the same price, but who's really to say? If the price was actually inflated, you would see more people go out of their way to farm Bow 30s to make money on an inflated good, but this is not the case. The reality of the situation is that the supply for Bow 30s is incredibly poor relative to other class weapons, whereas the popularity of the class itself is quite high. The price is whatever people will buy it for, and if people are willing to shell out 6.5m or more for a Bow 30, then unfortunately you've just been priced out. There's so many factors that go into what makes a price that pinning it on one person's actions like they're some kind of god-like being is laughable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Miraculously, people found more mesos to pay for the items they want.

You should lead a boycott.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    9:17 PM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    This is a issue that only exists in your head by thinking you know the real value of something.
    You're losing more time and money by not putting effort in increasing the value you can generate than you lose by the price fluctuation of the item.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    I think the real "issue" is that people want to progress without quitting their job

I say "issue" because you don't actually need to ws a perf weapon for example but the game kinda starts sucking when there's a massive time sink wall akin to a full-time job to make any reasonable progress on ur char (in a reasonable timeframe)

Feels like this thread comes from a lot of frustration from being outpriced by people who play 20+ hrs a week

Unless Kimberly-jong un starts redistributing wealth casuals needs to realise what kind of progress is realistic for them

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. fandilin

fandilin Blue Snail

Jun 30, 2022
    I think MapleLegends is already rather "communist", in that no one can control the means of production; any player is allowed to farm whatever they want and compete in the market. The only kind of content in which poor players experience a barrier is scrolling certain categories of items (e.g., claw, wands, bows), but this is a natural and unpreventable feature of this type of game where the same mechanic is used to upgrade an item whether the goal is a perfect item or a low tier item. As a result, however, completed items that are considered "failed" by the wealthiest scrollers are heavily discounted relative to their cost of production. You can take advantage of that and simply buy the completed items on the market rather than trying scroll them yourself. When you scroll, you have to compete with the wealthiest that use the very same scrolls. This is the reality for your Bow 30s, and it's why I recommend to anyone who isn't wealthy to not scroll at all, for most items.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    I wonder what would happen if the change to Gach was reverted, so Monsters doesn't drop Gach like before

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    requesting staff lock the thread due to harassment towards me..

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  19. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    I think starting the discussion on possible solutions is important

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    This is not about you or even me. If it's not player X manipulating the market, it will be player Z manipulating the market.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.