1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Remove the event point cap

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Soblet, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    7:31 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    HELLO,

During events each character is only allowed a certain amount of rewards for a specific timeframe. This event we have a weekly reset for the coupons and we had similar restrictions on previous events (daily raffle etc.).

I believe this system mainly keeps new players from being able to put as much effort into grinding an event as our more established friends have the option to do. To me it does not seem to accomplish much more than this.

Therefore I'd like to see the caps on event points/coupons/whatever removed.

I'd love to hear your thoughts just please don't mention shads ty.

GG no rematches.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    1:31 PM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Legends is so mule focused I don't see a point in having any restrictions when you just max out and move to the next character.

I'd personally like to see the rewards become a lot harder to obtain for items that hold a value & move away from the current meta of just doing these events with as many characters as possible to make the most meso within the event period.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    1:31 PM
    I usually dont actually laugh out loud on things I read, but this made me do so in the subway.

Errr and back to topic, I think the main reason is not meso but to put limit on the number of APR. So maybe get rid of raffle limit but keep the 30 APR limit?

Also maybe consider increasing the limit instead. If each character can do 100 tickets, then marginal benefit of having more character decreases rapidly since time is also a constraint.

Overall tho, I think this is an awesome event, I want to re-emphasize.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    10:31 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Event would be omega broken if it could be farmed endlessly. It might not seem like it to a lot of players right now, but tower clears can be done in a fairly short amount of time already, and everyone who grinds it out will inevitably get better and better at it.

Edit:
    I think I missed the main point. The event is already omega broken for established players with many characters, so removing cap would be an equalizer for that. On second thought, it would be more fair to new players to remove cap while older players would still have the same incentives to grind on one or many.

Hmm.

On one hand, I do think it's fair to have an upper hand for being an established player -- it's natural and gives incentive for newer players to stick around longer to eventually get into that same position. On the other, if there is too much of a large gap between established and new players, the newer players could feel slighted.

Tricky, tricky stuff.

Edit2:
    Final thought, I think the event is better left in its current weekly capped format. It's easy for us to get excited about event season, but we should remember that there is the rest of the Maple world out there we can still play. We still haven't seen the Pixel Puff Daddy yet because of how many people hyped about the event PQs, but I reckon once people reach their weekly cap or get burned out from tower climbing, they'll slowly go back to their usual routines of grinding it out in the game. A limitless event might keep captive the server population in Balina for much longer, and it'd further exacerbate the unhealthy dichotomy of event-season Legends vs non-event Legends.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Aren’t you worried about potential abuse of uncapped point farming by multishadowers?

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I'm more worried about multiratto.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    An understandable concern

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I personally think the event is good as it is, I can't play on my mac but I do have a low level "hidden" character that I do play on my pc.

The point limits were well thought out to avoid turbo-smurfing the event for goodies, or "event muling" how the cool kids call it.

9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Point limits are the literal cause of event muling. Without point limits, there’s no incentive to do stuff on multiple characters as you can just do it on one.

Not saying that degen on one character is better since that leads to burn out, but uncapped event currency would instantly end event muling.

10. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    Paladin
    Funk
    Hmm... This must be a logical fallacy since cap good, mule bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    2:31 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Since in the event, status, level, gear, buffs, mules dont matter (ok, low char level get less stuff) but literally anyone can do it.You who are the goat of the PQs, do you know if it's worth it for the low levels to farm because in the intervals of the event?

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  12. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Between the character limits and the maple weapons dropping from PQs I must conclude that the intention was to encourage people to roll more characters.

13. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    Point distribution is always one of the biggest discussions we have, when it comes to event planning.

It's true that a point cap makes multiple characters more appealing, but in my opinion, no point cap is harder to get right. Without a cap, the options to keep prizes influx in check are limited to either making reward rates (either raffles, or chance to obtain non-raffle prizes, depending on how the event is, and so on) low enough for high playtime to not be excessively profitable, or hiding rewards behind time-consuming tasks. Or behind global events, like Puff Daddy.

Additionally, no cap increases the risk of player burnout, as the incentive to keep farming the event for as long as possible has no blocks.

If there are ideas about potential point system changes, though, we're always interested to know them. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Bossing points when

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    The burnout point doesn't really fly imo as people susceptible to burnout can and will (and have) create(d) mules to keep on farming the event endlessly in the current system. This suggestion would simply remove the need for making more alts and make for a fairer playing field between new and established players during events.

Regardless thank you for entertaining other ideas.

16. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    8:31 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    I personally don't mind the weekly cap for events on currencies that are used for APR/Raffle as you're given a choice between the two and cap a character's value. Sure, you can just do it on mules for more raffles, but having the option to go all-in or take it slow is nice for a person like myself who burns out fairly fast.

If it's possible my only wish is an evergreen non-event point system with a daily cap on how much you can make in a day for cosmetics or APRs or whatever seems appropriate. It could be appropriate if some older parts of the game we're reworked (PQs/GPQ) or for newer pieces of content.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    2:31 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I remember something similar in crossade, I think with some adjustments it's great

18. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Personally, I don’t think it’s within the staff’s responsibility to monitor and control player’s burnout and high play times. I do like the fact that staff show concern for its player base. But players should be responsible for their own actions. It’s sort of falls under the same area, smoking is “bad”

19. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    3:31 AM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    Personally I don't like limits cause I dislike muling and love burning out.
    But I also want to say that I despise repeating daily tasks, although weekly ones are fine in a month-long event. I feel like it makes any game more addictive and less enjoyable, so I am very glad that in this current event everything resets weekly and not daily.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    What if rates had diminishing returns behind regular softcaps? Like for every 10 raffles per character, the rate decreases a given amount. This would keep muling raffles the most profitable, reign in outliers in terms of long hours/large amount of raffles, and still allow people to keep playing one character without a hard cap. These rates could reset weekly as well.