1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Change AFK Check on Ultimate

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Doguu, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    7:06 PM
    Flamous
    Bishop
    It's only fartsy and Akash that has openly posted about it :angelic:

2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Oh I'm well aware there are heaps more doing it! You can't help stumbling across them in a variety of useful maps ^^

3. CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    8:06 PM
    Thief
    Siege
    afk check every 3rd should be great

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    1:06 PM
    I/L Wizard
    it should be after the 1st and give it a 10 second cast time + a 10min cooldown, solves leeching too, screw those guys who main mages, should've picked a real class

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Speaking as a mage main, I strongly believe that the 5 cast limit does not affect a single client mage their gameplay in any negative way at all. I don't see how changing the cast limit from 5 to 10 will change anything for single client mages. If you're unable to count to 5 during smoke then you surely won't make it to 10 either. All it takes is a single TP and a cast to work around the afk-check.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    10:06 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Sometimes when I (single client) Bish in HT, I try to count in my head things like Gen casts, and casts/seconds until LA Def Up for DH, but I lose track constantly when I'm in VC. There's definitely a good joke here about ML players and being unable to count but in reality, when you're in VC and talking with other people it's incredibly easy to lose track of simple information. Granted, this usually leads to a minor inconvenience at worst, but there definitely is some level of effect on single mage gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    Addressing both of these since while I do somewhat agree with the 2nd there is a bit of a disconnect where I don't think you should have to be overly cognizant and the AFK check is overdoing it's job if you do in traditional gameplay. The amount of casts should be something kept handy if you're intentionally scumming the AFK check but frankly it's run into all too often compared to AFK check on regular skills which I would try to compare this to as I see that as a legitimate functional system preventing bot-like gameplay. You shouldn't be keeping count of casts as some sort of gameplay aspect, you could consider it a "skill check" of some sorts but I don't think most players would enjoy this as an added aspect of gameplay from vanilla. Not including SI in boss runs, most ultimates run into this check within around 15-18 seconds whereas regular abilites although much more variable I'd guess wouldn't run into this much more often than every 40+ seconds. A skilled player can still use raid boss timers to judge when they should probably scum the check if they truly haven't needed to adjust in that larger amount of time and I'd guess setting ultimates to 10 casts wouldn't even meet that 40 second mark for most of them needing to scum after about 30-36 seconds at that point which would be more in-line. Really the only argument I see for 5 casts is nerfing people who intend to bypass the check rhythmically anyway but please don't let that be a reason to affect regular methods of play, at that point just crack down on the abusers some other way.

Incidentally, I do think a positive change that came from the initiative of setting it to 5 casts is this discussion where I believe there should be a parallel in similar *timings* the AFK check halts attacks rather than a blanket 100 casts for even the shortest or longest of cast times, although I truly believe damaging in it's current state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    1:06 AM
    Honestly 10 will make it even easier to lose count than 5.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    10:06 AM
    I would say it does have a very slight negative impact on single-client mage gameplay, but it's more of a mild annoyance.

As far as I can tell, the AFK check monitors the (horizontal?) location of your ultimate casts, so if you have a specific spot you use your ultimate from, such as the very edge of the prehead platform to always catch wyverns, you'll hit the limit even with moving around. Or if you have a very special ultimate spot in HT main body (more relevant to bishes than AMs as far as I'm aware), you have to remember to deviate slightly every now and then. Similarly, if you bounce left-to-right in Zak at the perfect cadence, you can occasionally hit the limit on one side. And then of course the smoke examples.

It's a very small price to pay though in exchange for the intended nerf to multi-magers and multi-roarers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard

Here's an example, I got knocked away from the spot I'm trying to cast from, teleport back and still AFK check kicks in, worth mentioning the mitigation of AFK check is very peculiar and most players like me probably don't know what's happening with this, it's obvious you don't just have to move, you have to completely change your cast patterns. After this I casted a couple more, AFK'd on a ladder nearby for a while, then it only took 3 casts in the same spot to proc the check when I got back as if the first 2 casts were still registered... I intend to cast an ability relatively in the same spot, and often times enemies force me to cast in different places so it wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that it's 5 casts and isn't mitigated by being knocked down, teleporting back, travelling all the way to the ladder on the right, etc. It's pretty ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Yeah if you move around but not actually attack anything from a different position then it still remembers your last casted position. If instead you'd cast from a slightly different position such as a couple pixels to the left on the spot you were standing then it would have been absolutely fine and the counter would be reset.

While I do understand where your issue with this system lies I do believe it to be a necessary evil and once you figure out how it works and how to play around it it won't actually hamper your gameplay as it'll be something you integrate in your gameplay. Hence my comments that it doesn't negatively affect a single client mage as long as one takes the effort to adapt, if you don't want to adapt in the slightest then yes I understand how this Afk check is incredibly annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    When it's a "necessary evil" is this as some nerf to full-screen ultimates themselves or afk/multiclient/etc. other abusers as well? If it's a nerf to ultimates/leeching it doesn't do a very good job as you get much more eph moving around the map and I do this simply to near safely kill Lyka and I'm sure other mages also move around as spawns often clutter in different areas. If the later, all the scenarios people have mentioned in this thread shouldn't suffer the checks as a consequence and intentionally scumming at 10 casts isn't that much different from 5 anyway, but the collateral consequence on others is harsher since the scummer knows what they're getting into anyway. Not to mention it still disproportionately affects ultimates compared to other skills time-wise like I mentioned earlier, it probably takes ~1/3 of the time to get AFK checked on an ultimate from a regular skill. You can adapt sure, but I don't think that's on anyone's list of things they enjoy doing on maple especially when server specific.

Personally, I'll adapt if there's no change. I don't have anything else to add really, I'm just condensing some information since I want this to be my last post on this. At this point all I could really do is go through the effort of adding more examples but I think people know AFK check isn't as simple as "move away and back" to mitigate it now at least, it forces you away from position whether that position is beneficial to you or not. To me this shouldn't exist as it only did in vanilla as a flimsy anti-botting method and the 'added depth' is much more intrusive than it could ever be engaging and interesting.

13. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    It wasn't added against leeching, it was added to combat the scalability of multimage farming. Especially in a time when maps such as ToT had ideal safespots for these farmers it was very easy to scale up as much as you wanted and you'd practically never had to move your mages. The intention was to add an inconvenience to those who scaled up excessively to farm and make it a little bit less AFK.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/october-2022-balance-changes-explained.47418/

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  14. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    I mentioned that along with it, I was just pointing out all of the arguments I could conjure up even if not mentioned. My main position was 10 casts is balanced for regular players w/ other skills having similar afk check timings and if 10 is too easy on multiclient it should be cracked down on in a different way that doesn't change others' experience negatively. Up to staff to decide whether that's logical or not.

15. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    We dont need this. Stay active!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1