1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Change AFK Check on Ultimate

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Doguu, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    2:29 AM
    I/L Wizard
    I know this has long since been changed but is there any chance this can be increased from 5 to around 10 for QoL? I understand disincentivizing AFK/multi-client cheesing but as an I/L I've proc'd this quite a few times trying to fight against spawns for small platform positions on Oblivion 5 to more safely attack Lyka out of seduce range then continue grinding the map normally. I'm not an expert on the 'AFK check' but it definitely still procs even when you're actively making finer movements. I've been knocked away, teleported twice to get back to regain position and it cancelled my attack after having done all of that before as well. In that instance my character barely 'walked' so maybe the teleports didn't count as active movement to prevent the check and I repositioned in relatively the same spot but that's just a guess since I have no idea how the system works.

Fighting for those platforms is like a warzone because 2/3 of them have spawns directly on top of them and the other has a spawn covering the left side of the platform so only the right side is safe and it's even not safe when the mob spawns immediately moving right so it makes you make fine movements a decent bit but for some reason these movements aren't picked up by the AFK check system. It's also a very strange decision to make it this low since if I get only 3 safe spawns in a row (2-hit ko) where the guardian doesn't come towards me it means after the 5th attack, I should be cognizant I have to actively mitigate this check and give up good timing on the spawns (they spawn shortly after 2-hits, so I have less time to brace for the next spawn if I have to actively mitigate this check this frequently).

To also give an idea how involved the gameplay is I often use mysterious candy since there's a lot of movement going on and it lets me jump to platforms with 1 instead of 2 jumps. 5 casts feels extremely overbearing in what I would definitely consider enjoyable and active gameplay so I figured addressing this was important. I can make a guess what types of gameplays this is trying to prevent/incentivize granted I don't know all of them, but they're going to play that way anyway and just work around this system regardless of if the check is every 1 cast or 100 casts so I'd definitely say there should be a different solution for that, that doesn't break the flow of normal gameplay loops like this.

This is my only experience with it but I could imagine some other gameplay scenarios like if you're a lower level 4th job mage and you 3-hit ko, you could even proc the afk check clearing 1 wave, getting a good respawn of many enemies on top of you (even in unsafe positions), and trying to 3-hit ko them only a 2nd time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:29 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    dk farmers rejoice

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    that was exactly what I thought of when I said "I can make a guess" since I've passed by the helm dex farms before lol

4. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    11:29 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    This would be an insane quality of life to multi farmers. I could probably farm with an extra 2 clients if i could shuffle less often.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    8:29 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Agreed with Akash, even as someone who barely spends his time multiclienting, this would make a lot of strategies just comfortable enough to even do them lazily.

You can easily avoid the afk check by walking about 1-2 'character widths' and casting another skill, then walking back. (I don't even think casting another skill is necessary, I just do it to alt tab without jumping)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    I completely agree and I'm guessing that was one of the points of the change to 5 casts but I think it's a bad change if fairly regular gameplay is affected as well.

Good to know for the time being but if regular gameplay sees mitigation of AFK checks as necessary that is awful design. I'm sure this was an easy solution to whatever issue they were addressing compared to creating a new system or whatever the alternatives would be, but I think they've severely underestimated how little 5 casts is and have made anti-AFK movements a part of non-AFK gameplay on accident.

7. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    V62 maple is ancient and definitely was not designed with the repercussions of multiclienting in mind. As far as I'm concerned, staff nerfed multimaging somewhat effectively with the only negative impact being that it is occasionally tedious to keep a mage stationary for more than 50 seconds. Avoiding the afk check takes very little effort and does not have a negative impact on 'normal' gameplay imho.

In your example, it wouldn't be particularly difficult to avoid the afk check if you're just conscious about how it works and how to prevent it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    It might not be difficult to avoid but it does force a change the flow to the gameplay that should not exist. It shouldn't matter how small of a territory you're trying to cast on, if you're moving around dodging enemies, engaged in gameplay, the amount of times you run into this should approximately be 0.

In GMS some people don't use spawn boosters and actively lower their epm because they believe most skill cooldowns were designed around KMS spawn times (non-boosted spawns). They do this solely because that flow of gameplay is more engaging and enjoyable to them. With this the grind is mostly unaffected though, it's just not fun dealing with it and feeling like I should have to guess how many casts I have left before I have to jump off the platform and jump back on since my intention is to maintain that position until an enemy spawn takes it back from me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TermiteLover

TermiteLover Brown Teddy

Nov 8, 2021
    6:29 PM
    Guildless
    Fwiw, I have definitely triggered the ultimate afk check a fair few times while at HT. If a shadower smokes during legs, the limit is easy to reach, and you can easily waste a couple of casts before realising. Would be nice if they could increase the limit in boss instances, but I dont know how feasible that is

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I was just about to comment the same thing. I've hit AFK limit in both Zak and HT, and although it's an uncommon scenario, it's incredibly frustrating when it does happen. I wish BT would've found a different way to address multimage that didn't have as much of an effect on regular gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    "Full map attacks" seem to be hard to balance around, maybe droprates should be lowered though that is also not ideal.

Also while on the topic of AFK check, why doesn't bowmasters hurricane have a 500 cast limit (takes about the same time to reach the 100 attack check as night lords triple throw)? This seems very abuseable considering you can keep hurricane going without even having your client active?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    You definitely need your client active. Even with “AFK” Hurricane, as soon as you tab out it ends immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Ah either way a second machine would workaround this, not having an afk check there is wild.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I will concede a second machine + BM is very powerful in some content.

15. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Isn't BM unlimited attack essentially regulated by pets not using mp pots while hurricaning? I understand a turbo washed bm could then presumably outlast a NL, but just for the sake of argument.

16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Yes, pets will use MP pots only once while holding Hurricane.

17. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    2:29 PM
    I personally feel the 5 cast limit is a pretty good check on mage ultimate without outright implementing a cooldown. It is a minor inconvenience for single client mage that gets compounded the more characters u try to control at one time.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:29 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Not quite. Just build it into the rotation and you're fine. Computer limits are usually hit before scalability becomes a big problem. Was a pretty good change though ^__^

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I feel like the majority of players would struggle to efficiently control as many clients as e.g. you and Akash do. Sure, it's a learned skill like any other, but the average multiclient capability among ML players is probably lower than it may seem.

20. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    I'd rather not look at this from a balancing multiclienters perspective as much as possible, I understand it's an aspect but so is farming by only having a single button held down on a single client and that's the most abuse other players should have to commit to see this. Balancing multiclienters is a dumb discussion point when it comes to "I'd be able to do 2 more clients, it lowers the skill ceiling and makes multiclienting more accessible," Multiclienting is setup dependent, if you have more computers and keyboards it's easier and mitigates half the nerfs they do to multiclienters anyway, there's bigger fish to fry on that discussion but that's up to how the staff wants to run that show.

I look at this more like a bug/QoL perspective for regular gameplay, not intentional AFK check mitigating, multiclienter gameplay. Like I said I didn't even know how to mitigate AFK checks and I don't think that should be an aspect of gameplay shoehorned in as fallout of nerfing/increasing the skill ceiling of multiclienters for people experiencing the game normally, nothing is so overpowered you should hinder gameplay because of it and if it is maybe it should be hardcapped at a set amount of clients or removed. I do think it's an alright idea but it's apparent 5 is very low, holding in triple throw for 100 casts takes much longer (irrelevant skill just fastest cast time I could think of). There's very obvious ways to fix multiclient ultimate AFK, I think this one seemed like the easiest fix using a system already in the game but gone wrong. My argument is 10 seems like a reasonable number to mitigate regular AFK cast attempts.

And before someone says it yes I know 100 casts isn't that hard to reach on regular attack skills but at that point it's actually doing it's job, you haven't moved in like almost a minute at that point, this is like 15 seconds or something. In a perfect world it also doesn't eat your casts even when you're actively making fine movements in a small space too because giving up position over that can be frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1