1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Card Collection Challenge

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wensleydale, Nov 7, 2023.

1. jung1e

jung1e Mixed Golem

Oct 12, 2017
    3:24 PM
    Whatever you think is more fun!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christoph

Christoph Red Snail

Dec 14, 2023
    6:24 PM
    Christoph
    Islander, Beginner
    RainbowSt
    So Uhh Here We Go!!..

[Day One]

So a little backstory of me... I've only really ever played an islander so I haven't really played on the main island much! But why not try a different challenge! SOOO I'd like to welcome Cardson!

Choose to be an Archer and I'm ready to start my long Journey!

And my day one progress!

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Wensleydale Orange Mushroom

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Return to the Challenge

Hope y'all have had a good holiday season! I've decided to return to the challenge after a little break. Having reached Kerning, I turned my attention to the Kerning Subway. My targets for the day were Bubbling and Stirge. Luckily both these mobs proved to be not much of a challenge (unlike those pesky Lupins :boo:) and I was able to ease back into card collecting!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stats
    soon^tm

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Starting a bit late, but why not. Rolled an I/L, and after a long delay (started the character months ago before getting distracted) the first map is done. It took probably 3.5h and I got 4 duplicate cards (red snails).

I'm a bit iffy on the legitimacy of using donor shop / vote cash chairs based on the current rule set, but ngl it's the only thing that made the first map viable as a mage with no pot source. The rules do state event chairs are valid to purchase so I would assume this falls under the same rule.

upload_2024-2-4_20-5-14.png

One potential change to the ruleset might be to allow users to chose between starting at the town of their first job advancement or Lith, which would allow users to do the early potion quests and purchase relevant gear from NPCs. This could lead to some jobs having a slight advantage or disadvantage, but that's already the case, e.g., warriors getting first job mob skills, etc.. This is just a potential suggestion in order to make the challenge more approachable to new users (even if interest seems to have waned).

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  5. Charles

Charles Brown Teddy

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Ga
    Oooo this is neat.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    YOU CANNOT TRUMP THE STUMP!
    Trying to brute force the stump cards before going for world tour cards was probably a mistake. Managed to hit 4/5 after what feels like 7h+ of semi delirious grinding (over three days), however now that I'm committed, the next stump could be it. Or maybe the next one. Or the next... Hitting level 22 off of stumps, slimes, and snails reminds me of a certain south park episode, I just hope I get the last one before my 2nd job advancement.
    upload_2024-2-6_20-22-21.png
    On the bright side, I've gotten a total of three overall dex 10%s from red snails which has / will go a long way towards pot sufficiency, though only one has sold so far. My alleged hoarding tendencies tell me I should save my 3 rare and 8 common gach, but my need for pot money might win out in the end. (Not pictured, another 96 green snail shells).

I haven't been great at grabbing screenshots, but here's number 3 and 4 of the stump set.
    upload_2024-2-6_20-29-15.png

upload_2024-2-6_20-30-12.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Stumped? More like pumped!
    The stump wall was finished, and it only took another 2 or 3 hours...
    upload_2024-2-7_20-1-1.png
    upload_2024-2-7_20-2-36.png
    With the stump wall chopped down, it was time to take a vacation. Cherry trees surrounded me as I took a break to kill a trio of mushrooms (of the orange, green, and blue variety). While I did spend an hour or so there, they only dropped two cards, both orange mushies. However, the green mushies did drop two zecos, which, while not useful for my class, do NPC for 90k each.

No items of actual use for my class have dropped so far so I'm rocking dropped beginner clothes, seeing as a luckless mage can't exactly wear normal mage gear. I can only dream of getting a dio chan sword once I make my way to the forest of animals to replace my beginner wand, since the idea of getting to showa for a paintbrush is a pipe dream right now.
    upload_2024-2-7_20-8-33.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Welcome to the challenge! When originally planning the challenge, we thought having everyone start at Lith Harbor was about as fair as we could make it. Especially since some town starting points are so much more advantageous than others (ex. Perion and stumps). Best of luck on your card collecting journey! It's both incredibly frustrating and very rewarding.

I finally ended up upgrading my computer hardware after months of declining performance. So i'll be back to the challenge soon^tm

• Like Like x 2
  9. Charles

Charles Brown Teddy

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Ga
    Meh I always at least join every time a new challenge arises, why change it up now. I'll see y'all soon and edit this post with the ign if anyone would like to buddy once I create it :).

EDIT: Let the games begin - buddies appreciated, card hunters are not!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Charles

Charles Brown Teddy

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Ga
    If we gach an item we can use, can we use it immediately? CardHunt is a go.

11. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Mushy Shrine is Fun, Guy
    Made a lot of progress, turns out not being held back by a wall of stumps makes things a lot more enjoyable.

First thing, within about an hour at the mushy map, I was done with all cards for the map but two blue mushy cards. Another half hour or so and that problem sorted itself out. I'm just including better screenshots as including all 13 would clog up the post.
    upload_2024-2-8_22-22-6.png upload_2024-2-8_22-24-1.png

I immediately moved on to the next map, remembering how good crows were to hunt on my previous characters (and their propensity to drop shoe jump 30s). The grind was a bit slow for a single target only level 26ish magician, but it passed quickly enough. I've found most flying enemies are significantly faster than usual for card hunting. Sadly, no shoe jump 30s dropped, but it was a fast enough grind, especially when they drop in pairs like that.

upload_2024-2-8_22-27-57.png

Moving on to the next map, I tried killing the foxes, finding they took a grand total of three hits. That wasn't going to be ideal, however when I went to see the pig situation in thicket around the beach, I quickly realized I was not getting through that without a slightly passable mob skill. At one point I tried farm animals for a bit, and did get a few cards, but ended up going back to foxes and raccoons before long, getting the full set of racoons after a relatively short grind, and even one fox.

upload_2024-2-8_22-31-55.png upload_2024-2-8_22-32-19.png

I know some people have issues with fox cards, but while I do feel bad killing them, I've never really had a major issue with them for card hunting. The biggest thing is traversing the map efficiently, even as a weak magician they were doable, ending up with only 313 tails. I'd wonder if being limited to single attack only spells is helping me here, but flashbacks to 8+ hours of stumps, begging them to drop a card, even resorting to whacking some with my wand to death, makes me think that has little to nothing to do with it. When I was in shanghai trying out farm mobs, I did pick up the shanghai pet food so I could actually use my pet based on someone's suggestion earlier in the thread.

upload_2024-2-8_22-39-33.png upload_2024-2-8_22-38-54.png

At this point I was at 70% of level 29, having gained exp significantly faster due to fighting mobs near my level instead of stumps, snails, and slimes. I had to level. I went to shanghai to finish up, not quite finishing any sets but making progress (2/5 sheep and 4/5 ducks and roosters). But, hitting 30 was more than worth it, though I did fumble and forget to document anything about the 2nd job advancement other than using my legal illegal cab ride to ellina.

upload_2024-2-8_22-43-2.png

upload_2024-2-8_22-44-20.png

Once I was back in lith, I immediately went back to the farm. My only I/L Wizard SP point going straight into MP eater for the occasional saved pot.

The last few sheep cards gave me a bit of trouble but I managed with the help of some timely GM buffs.

upload_2024-2-8_22-46-29.png

While I could have stopped there, there was probably 15 mins of GM buffs left. While traversing the Genin map wasn't ideal normally, doing it with GM buffs helped immensely, managing to get two cards during the buffs, and one last one on a potshot right after the buffs expired. I'll come back here later.

upload_2024-2-8_22-48-28.png upload_2024-2-8_22-48-50.png

I did manage to get just over two mil mesos between NPCed weapons and gear, putting me in a pretty comfortable state meso wise, however I have nothing to spend it on at this time. Well, technically, I could buy a paintbrush that is apparently purchasable outside of ninja castle, but I didn't realize that required 5 str... Considering I can't get a bandanna or anything else any time soon, I guess we're still rocking the beginner wand.

Thanks! Hope to see your posts soon as well! Yea, I agree there's definitely some disadvantages, but it would be a lot more approachable to most users. It might be more of an "easy mode" version for people who don't want to spend eight hours farming stumps...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Charles

Charles Brown Teddy

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Ga
    First and second maps are done for CardHunt...now for stumps :(

That being said, it's pretty fun and I got a pretty decent gach to sell for pots when the time comes!

Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 9.20.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 9.20.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 9.22.24 AM.png

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Just going to say, I really enjoyed the challenge, and the thought experiment was really cool. Thank you for bringing it forward and letting me participate, but I'm going to graduate early. The time investment per card set is just too high to continue long term for me personally. I hope to read other's adventures in the future.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Forever trying to get back into the swing of things. With my computer upgraded, and a bit more motivation for the challenge, I can continue my quest through Victoria Island. Since I've been playing mostly on an old laptop, I don't have my usual amount of screenshots or statistic tracking. Here is the very casual progress I've made in the last month (LOL):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Card collecting in the subway was actually really nice and didn't seem to take too long. It was also great exp compared to some of the other maps so I definitely enjoyed that aspect. I'd also like to point out how satisfying it is that I collected exactly 537 etc for both mobs. That's pretty cool. I also finally tackled Axe Stump. Once again, fuck stumps, all my homies hate stumps. With Axe Stump out of the way I now have access to Ellinia, however I do not plan to go there just yet.

Current goal is to make it in through the swamp and to Sleepywood. I'm finally getting real close to the level 1 monster card ring which would unlock the Orbis ship! Good progress all around :happy:

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Any item that you obtain from the Gachapon can be used! It also unlocks that item to be purchased again in the FM. That includes equipment too, however you'll need to have collected all components of that equip to buy it. Example -> you'd need to collect both a one-hand sword for attack and a Daio Chan Sword before buying a scrolled one on the market

Thanks for giving it a shot! Burn-out is real with this challenge! Especially since the difficulty is so front-loaded

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  16. Charles

Charles Brown Teddy

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Ga

Cool, thanks! I gached a frozen tuna lol and I'm going sliner but since I gached that I'm mostly SK-ing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dr0p

dr0p Slime

Jul 24, 2023
    6:24 AM
    dr0p
    I/L Arch Mage
    Still following this thread, reading every post - good luck to everyone!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Tier 1 Ring!!!

[​IMG]

Continued my progress through the swamp and headed towards Croco. These guys definitely took longer than their weaker Ligator version. I was able to encounter Dyle while farming in the map but unfortunately I lack the accuracy to hit the mini-boss. Dyle and it's card will have to be hunted at a different time. I finished the set and now can move onward towards Sleepywood! I now have access to the Dungeon: Damp Tree-Forest, but Dark Axe Stumps still remain in the way. As all stumps do it's probably going to take a while to complete this set. crymush

[​IMG]

Just because I cannot hit Dyle does not mean I haven't made progress on my accuracy! I was able to get an overall dex 60 scroll to drop from Mano, so i can now buy them in the FM and can scroll my Dragon Robe. Here is the result!

AND FINALLY with my completed Croco set I now have my Tier 1 ring!!!! I'm honestly amazed i've made it this far... and it only took 2 months LOL

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Using the event as a bit of motivation, I made a bit of progress these past few days! For starters, I began farming the etc needed to upgrade the 8-Blessing Ring. I know I won't be able to max it out but I'm hoping to get a few more upgrades.

[​IMG]

I also ventured into the trees of Ellinia to collect Curse Eye cards! Tbh i got a little lost trying to find the map I wanted but eventually made it to Tree Dungeon, Forest Up North IX and collected all 5 Curse Eye cards! Overall, the farming did not take too long as only 227 curse eye tails were needed to complete the card set joymush

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also finally made it to a map that has a Perion background! That feels like huge progress! I took some time to start the grind to collect Dark Axe Stumps at the East Domain of Perion. Unfortunately, i only got one card.
    [​IMG]

Stumps are horrible

20. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    To visualize my progress, here is a map showing what mobs are currently blocking my path towards Perion and Sleepywood (or in general, like Clang).

[​IMG]

Stone Golem -> they are both too strong and have a horrible spawn in Henesys Dungeon Entrance to successfully farm the cards
    Dark Axe Stump -> idk why but Neckson loves to put just a few of these guys (and most stumps) in so many non-perion maps. It makes it pretty challenging to farm them. They are blocking both the path from Kerning and Ellinia to Perion. This would be huge to finally collect the rest of these guys.
    Clang -> Honestly, I gave up on the Florina Beach farm once I collected all the Lupin cards. I only used Florina Beach as a way to further progress on Victoria Island. I don't foresee accuracy issues being a problem with Clang and Tortie in future card collecting.