1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Anti-Leech System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aquarium, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    1:14 PM
    Nikki
    Assassin
    I'm nowhere near the level required for effective leeching, nor do I plan to be for a long time. Yet I still do care about this topic because I want to play a balanced and fair game absent of inequalities that may have game breaking ability. This is what the feedback/suggestions section is for. It is not for you stifling ideas by insulting what you perceive to be the reason for others opinions.

This argument tactic used in the quoted post is on the 2nd level of the hierarchy. "attacks the characteristic or authority of the writer without addressing the substance of the argument."

2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    12:14 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    It's your wrong assumption. I'm not going to buy leeches, and I'm not going to sell them.

And yeah. What's wrong with making improvements? I'm getting real tired of these arguments from people like you who just constantly say, if you would want X changed, why did you come to this server? Maybe because I like 99% of the rest of it? I swear, it ought to go in Kimberly's category of banned comments along the lines of, "If you don't like it, just leave."

Huh, you came here specifically because you could do that? How many servers actually make dual-client illegal? How many actually go through the trouble of disabling it? Seems to me if that's all you wanted, you could have gone many other places, yourself.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    2:14 AM
    This triangle thing that Nikki posted is a really effective tool for making the forums a better place. I urge everyone to take a look and try to avoid committing the fallacies listed in the bottom 4 layers so as to create a warm environment for healthy discussion without all the unnecessary drama and fighting.

The top is where you want to be at, but 2nd and 3rd layers are acceptable since not everyone is a master debater. But the rest below that is disruptive and doesn't contribute to the discussion, plus it gets emotions heated for nothing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    2:14 PM
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop
    As I get tired of these constant leech complaints. I am not trying to attack you, bash you, or be a jerk. I am just honestly confused on why people(not just you specifically) complain about something that you knew existed before you came.

Improvements are one thing, but trying to change the way a large amount of players enjoy playing their own characters is completely different.

I'm not sure on other servers rules, this is the only server I've played outside of GMS. It isn't the only reason I came, but it did play a part in my decision. I knew I could put in the time and effort to make my own bishop, and leech myself whenever I wanted without relying on anyone else.

5. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    Which you could still do even if the leeching rate is changed to something a bit less game breaking, possibly 75/25 or 80/20. However, you still came into this thread hurling insults in an attempt to stifle conversation and get what you want rather than present any sort of argument for your case other than 'this is why I came here'

Little bit selfish. We're collectively trying to recreate a balanced, nostalgic server that fits as many needs as possible while removing possible game breaking mechanics present as early as v62. I thought that was what the feedback/suggestions section was for? Suggesting changes that could/would improve the server.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Just one thing sticks out at me. When players leech, they aren't enjoying the experience, and they certainly aren't playing. Come to think of it, I wouldn't say the leechers (particularly mages with mapwide skills) enjoy the leeching process either. Hell, the clerics who stand on a staircase and just spam heal all day certainly don't enjoy it, and the botters aren't playing either. :D

7. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop
    You say it's game breaking, I respectfully disagree. I am simply saying my feelings.

why are you trying to tell me what I do or don't enjoy? I enjoy playing the game. Leeching and all. I am both the leecher and leechee. I enjoy it.

8. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:14 PM
    Moderator Post
    The problem with this topic is that it shares similar if not the same issues as the Bishop topic. People were bashing Bishops because HS/Leeching is OP and now people bash in this topic because HS/Leeching is OP, so we have right now the same arguments yet again like the other topic, but this time its not directly about Bishops but about Leeching... FROM BISHOPS.

There's actually a few things I had in mind during Open Beta when the "Bonus EXP for Party" got implemented and one of them was kinda like if a leecher didn't kill a mob for x minutes he/she is considered an "afk" user and gains less EXP than a normal party user, thus enforces more Party play than rope hang leech. I am still kinda for that idea because I personally believe HS is incredible overpowered for AFK leeching as well, because it gains -more- exp for BOTH the Bishop and the AFKER that needs absolutely nothing to do in order to give the Bishop or him/herself more EXP.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    Agree. If people want to participate in a boring, no fun way of playing the game than I definitely encourage them to do so, because that is their time to spend. However, when the inequalities created from that 'boring function' start effecting the games balance in a real way.. i'd like to see them nerfed.

Or at least other methods of training from 75-120 be buffed so that inequality is not so exacerbated. Either one, so long as leeching is no longer the bar none best option after taking into consideration the mesos you have to dump into it, but a luxury option, as intended. Choices are good. And as kim outlined in another post, once players see how fast leeching is during those prime levels, it effectively removes choice as they become to lazy to want to level in the (much less effective) other ways.

I don't just 'say' its game breaking. I outlined why I think it is game breaking in many posts previous to this. 5x more experience per playing hour is simply overpowered. 1.5-2x more, now that is a compromise.

If I could respectfully ask, why don't you think its game breaking?

10. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Right, and I hope maybe you will implement one of these some day. The fact that you gain more exp simply from having another party member on the map was also why I was suggesting modifying HS in the other thread. Because by yourself, you only get a +10% exp bonus, but then with any other person in the party, it becomes +40% or 42%... and even with splitting up exp amongst two people, it works out that somehow you wind up getting more exp for yourself for no reason.

If it took more players to work up to the max exp bonus, it would both lessen leeching's effectiveness and also encourage players to form bigger parties.

Simple logic. If you are leeching, you aren't playing the game. You're either alt-tabbed watching a movie or doing something else, or maybe not even home. Therefore, how can you enjoy doing something if you aren't actually doing it?

• Like Like x 2
  11. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop
    Respectfully I decline answering.

I understand that you don't enjoy it. I do. The same way I can't fathom playing a paladin because I think it's a boring class, some people enjoy them.

Also, I watch movies when I train/pq/quest/etc, I can do both.

It's not logic, it's you not understanding that there are multiple ways to enjoy the same game.

12. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    9:14 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    @Nikki@Nikki @sara@sara
    I am not here take a side in this argument.

I feel like we are overheating. As a fellow player and forum user, I would like to ask you both to try to reply each other with as little.... competition? as possible.
    Do not let this bother you if you disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    The only problem I see with this is that people just won't AFK when they leech or they will come back to their screen after x minutes, move 2 inches down the rope, and AFK again. It'll get rid of AFK leeching, but I think everyone has a problem with leeching in general.

14. Marty

Marty Headless Horseman

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Broken
    Shadower
    Horizon
    As for this: With a 2 people in your party, HS goes from +10% EXP to +50% instantly. Even with the reduced party XP, a Bishop leeching someone gets 120% of the original monster XP with 1 party member and only 110% XP alone; this just seems ridiculous to me, since I think that a Bishop should have to choose between money from leeching and EXP instead of getting both.

I also agree with @Slime@Slime; this discussion is reaching a point where it's just calling each other out to 'win', so to speak... Better to keep it at just arguments brought to the table or additions to previous statements.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Nikki
    Assassin
    ..What? I'm not competing with anyone. I'm refuting points and pointing out that they are based in emotional arguments. Your mediation isn't required nor welcome. Nor was it anywhere near appropriate.

This kind of conversation stifling social manipulation is toxic.

16. sara

sara Horny Mushroom

Apr 24, 2015
    Female
    sara/cuddles
    Bishop
    That's why I declined to reply. ^-^

17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I've noted in the post: have to kill a mob, not move.

• Like Like x 2
  18. tikeri

tikeri King Slime

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    Koho
    Pirate
    Jsqaud
    Can we close this thread it cancerous

• Like Like x 6
  19. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    Sorry just woke up when I commented lol. Still though, they could just kill a mob and AFK/ hop back on the rope again. You get what I'm saying?

I like the idea but I think the time would have to be 5 minutes or less.

20. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    9:14 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Pardon my rudeness, I didn't mean to suggest you're competing with anyone.
    I guess what I meant to say was that...
    This conversation (in my opinion of course) feels very unwelcoming.
    Of course that is only my opinion.

Please,

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1