1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple - Why is it so Male-Dominated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KOSEM, Aug 14, 2015.

Why do you think there are more Male players than Female ones on Maple?

1. Because Maple has a gameplay or general features that attract male playerbase more than female.

2. Because most girls dont like MMORPG's in general.

3. Because most girls dont like to play video games in general.

4. Because most girls find Maple to be too complicated/difficult to understand.

5. Because girls actually play Maple, but quit after a short time and thats why we dont see them again.

6. Because girls arent aware of the existence of private servers.

7. Because girls think that private servers are dangerous or might contain malware.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    3:00 PM
    Hi everyone. You see, atleast from my years of experience of playing this game, I have, mostly, come across mostly Male gender players. The players seem to be mostly male, with very few real(in real life) females playing. And whats even worse, a lot of times, there are people who try to appear or pretend to be girls by playing on a female character, but in reality there is(most of the time) a guy behind that cute and cuddly female character. Moreover, these guys also try to talk like girls, by using girl common phrases and abbreviations, as well as the crystal clear excitement in the words that girls are normally associated with, such as "Hiii xDDDD", etc.

Now, I have two main questions that come to mind:

1. Why is Maple so Male-Dominated?

and

2. Why does players who are male in real life decide to appear to be or pretend to be and/or behave like a girl by starting a female character?

I'm not the kind of guy to worry so much about things like these. To be more accurate, I am more intrigued than worried. Its very interesting to see certain people talking and acting like a girl, when there is a guy behind the computer screen. I really dont get what they're doing it for, other than to,maybe, see what it "feels like" to be a girl or how others treat a girl.

But really, who falls for that these days? Most of us are aware that many players with female characters aren't really female in their real lives. There are very few real female Maplers out there, and its quite intriguing to see that.

I'd like to hear the community's thoughts, and discuss about why do you think Maple has much more male players than female ones, as well as what is your general view on male players who pretend to be female by starting a female character.

Thanks,

Kosem

Edit - Poll Added.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    MapleStory is male-dominated because gaming in general is male-dominated. Compared to other games, MapleStory has plenty of female players.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    It is supported in quite some studies and statistics which show there are actually more female players then male, if only by a small margin. However, the distribution of this demographic is the key.

The largest portion of females play games such as farmville or the clicker games on mobile, they use their mobile for social activities so it's easy to add a game or two on that. They don't go out of their to get a computer to play a specific game. Where as the male demographic is primarily situated in those games, MMO's and the like.

Gaming actually doesn't discriminate in gender. It's just females stick to their mobile devices and males are willing to pay more for game consoles and computers to get the games meant for those.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    9:00 AM
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    2. Why does players who are male in real life decide to appear to be or pretend to be and/or behave like a girl by starting a female character?

I know multiple people that play girl characters in multiple games but are male IRL and for the most part when I've asked there answer was usually "I like the clothing options better", "it's something different", or " I get free stuff if I act like a girl". As sad as that last one is if you pretend to be a girl and talk to the right people they will give you free stuff and be extra nice to you. There's no 1 reason, people do what they want.ee

Also your poll seems to be pretty one-sided.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Redwine

Redwine Capt. Latanica

Apr 20, 2015
    USA
    Redwine
    CIRCUS
    In the spectrum of mmorpgs, maple has a ton of girls.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    Yeah, I meant online computer and console gaming (PC/PS/Xbox), not mobile games...

"Because girls think that private servers are dangerous or might contain malware." Server owner: Kimberly Kappa

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spooky

Spooky Brown Teddy

Mar 27, 2015
    2:00 PM
    Girls are a myth
    I'd really appreciate it if you'd delete this misleading thread

• Like Like x 6
  8. Henesys

Henesys Slime

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Henesys Hunting Ground I
    8:00 AM
    Henesys
    Bowmaster
    1. The thirst.
    2. The thirst from thirsters. Kappa

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tamai

Tamai Slime

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    Outer Space
    Zanarkand
    Priest
    I've wondered about #1 for awhile, but maybe it's not necessarily about being male/female, just a preference of what you're into/like to do. Some people get really into maple and well, some don't. I've had friends who played maple but then found other MMO's, that they liked more but just never clicked with me.

As for #2, I feel like some boys be dressing like a hot mess, but hey sometimes you just wanna look cute. Girls get really cutesy clothes/customizations no shame in your game LOL.

Also. @poll: "Maybe guys aren't meeting very many girls on here"

10. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    @Marty@Marty Kappa

• Like Like x 3
  11. Emmi

Emmi Red Snail

Jul 7, 2015
    Female
    On top of a rock.
    Emmi
    Dragon Knight
    Royalty
    Why dis thread?
    I am #Girl
    BYE FELICIAS.
    Girls play Maple....maybe they just don't want to play Maple with you :p
    Also this---v

• Like Like x 1
  12. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    I don't really know why. I often wish it wasn't so male-dominated. I envy old GMS "all girl" guilds. #Dreams

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aquarium

Aquarium Selkie Jr.

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Aquarium
    Spearman
    sexist.

14. Worry

Worry Dark Stone Golem

Aug 4, 2015
    Female
    Middle of Nowhere
    7:00 AM
    Helga
    Spearman
    Halcyon
    1. Gaming in general is male dominated.

2. Some people might like to look at a girl when they have too stare at these characters for hours on end.

( of course some people's just want free stuff )

15. npfenix1

npfenix1 Brown Teddy

May 18, 2015
    Male
    Under the bridge.
    4:00 PM
    *LURKING*
    Marauder
    Yeah, I personally think games just appeal to guys more.

There was literally no girls from the college I graduated that played games "often" on their free time.
    Sure, they did play them but it was very rare and often only happened in sleepovers or parties.
    Most of them used the time for studying, hanging outside with guys/friends or hobbies.
    (Source: I have a sister my age and I used to hang around in parties, got to know people, etc. Then I found out about internet Kappa)

But, I think it's getting more common these days since computers are just so useful in your everyday life.
    I would personally love more grills to play games just because they are usually more composed/rage less.
    I remember there was surprisingly many grills in eMS.

TL;DR
    Guys are lazy while girls do something productive. Jk.

16. Worry

Worry Dark Stone Golem

Aug 4, 2015
    Female
    Middle of Nowhere
    7:00 AM
    Helga
    Spearman
    Halcyon
    Can confirm, very productive. ( avg 6 hours on each day )

• Like Like x 1
  17. 3DegreeChill

3DegreeChill Master Chronos

Apr 18, 2015
    8:00 AM
    Felicia
    Priest
    Majestic
    because its funny to be a black girl on a game. duhh
    byefelicia.

18. Glycys

Glycys Chronos

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Glycys
    Bishop
    Horizon
    Because there are no girls on the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    What is sexist about my post? You never heard of those guilds?

Edit: Also, your comment reinforces my reasons for preferring the environment of an all girl guild. I don't have a problem with guys in general, but there always seems to be at least one that is offensive, antagonistic, or otherwise lacking tact. My experiences in girl guilds has been mostly positive and friendly. Very few rude, racist, poor taste talking and jokes.

I do still have a lot of male friends especially on my BL and in prior guilds.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    I highly doubt there was ever a guild that considered itself "all-girl" and every single member in it were actually real females in their lives. I play since I'm 13, and I have seen players who were so sneaky and intelligent that they appeared to be a girl in every aspect. The way of talking, reacting, attitude, phrasing of words, whatever. Yet, who can guarantee 100% that they are real girls in their life? The only way to find out would be to literally meet them face to face in real life.

There are female players. I'm not saying there arent. But there are also so many fakes around, that really, you never know for sure who's behind the computer screen anymore.

• Like Like x 1