1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dysfunctional Marksman Class on Maple Legends

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by toxiclife, Aug 23, 2015.

1. toxiclife

toxiclife Red Snail

Jul 19, 2015
    Male
    5:54 PM
    Lalli
    Marksman
    Dreamers
    Hello all ~

I would like to share my thoughts and suggestions on the Marksman Class of Maple legends. I started on this server not long ago because of the low rates and the nostalgic game play. I thought it would be swell to once again experience the grind of my favorite job and re-experience the magic of getting 4th job (before big bang), so I created a character named Lalli and grinded (no leech) my way to 4th job. Shortly after achieving Marksman, I began to notice problems with the class on this server. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so please bear with me when I say that there are some definite bugs/settings-problems which have a detrimental impact on training. Without these problems fixed or tweaked, training as a 4th job player isn't a challenge... it's a joke.

~~~~~~
    #1 - Snipe isn't a 1-hit K.O to non-boss mobs -

This is very important because it complicates grinding. On gms while training, a marksman typically will gather the mobs up into a cluster and shoot rounds of pierce ( piercing arrow, the bread and butter of a grinding marksman). Hypothetically speaking, after the first shot a few of the mobs die and begin to respawn. Now, if a mob spawns right next to you or even on top of you, then you (being a squishy archer = low hp) need to deal with it immediately. On gms, Snipe was there to take care of stray sheep. Quick and easy, 1 hit K.O , and then back to the mob cluster. Some mobs such as guardians at the Crimsonwood Keep have more than 99k hp and are not insta-killed even though they are not bosses, and I also understand that the much awaited Temple of Time ( ToT) will have mobs that boast high hp higher than 100k. This definitely cripples Marksman Gameplay.

I'm not sure if Snipe when maxed on this server is 99k every 5 seconds or 99k every 15 seconds. <-- someone clarify

At this point in the server, If snipe 30 was 99k dmg every 5 seconds that would be fine... but if it's 99k dmg every 15 seconds that is not okay. Snipe is a constant damage ultimate skill even with perfect equips it would do the same damage.

At 99k dmg every 15 seconds, 4 shots per minute would yield 400k dmg per minute and that is a joke in the endgame.
    At 99k dmg every 5 seconds, 12 shots per minute would yield 1.2mill dmg per minute and this is more realistic considering the fact that its constant and it can't get better with stronger equips. Other attacker classes will do much more than 1.2mill dmg per minute with their ultimates/ 4th job skills.
    ~~~~~~.
    #2 Pierce has a minimum range.

Right here, this is hands-down is horrendous. Pierce takes about 5 seconds to charge up, during that time I have to jump and dodge enemy attacks. If by chance, a mob spawns in or the mobs are very close up this attack FAILS. I either shoot a mortal blow, or i end up hitting 1's with a noob bow whack. Please get rid of the minimum range, waiting for it to charge up is good enough. It is especially annoying at Himes when they move so fast.
    ~~~~~~
    #3 Inability to heal when charging-up Pierce.

So not only does my main attacking skill take a chunk of time to charge up, and has a likely chance to fail from minimum range, it also prevents me from healing. This is probably the greatest problem, because of an Archer's low hp and the charge up time + minimum range. I will say that pet hp works, but it isn't sustainable. I mean, I will survive 2-hits on stronger monsters like Skelegons and Newties, but anymore than that and I die. If I switch to higher healing potions, I don't break even. When I played on gms, I was able to heal and charge and it was essential to training.

~~~~~~
    #4 Jump-Shot Pierce

This isn't a big problem, but it was very satisfying to jump-shot pierce in the past. It added to a marksman's style and evasive tactics while training in various locations.
    ~~~~~~

Please take these suggestions seriously. I know there's like 0-3 marksman population on this server, but they still matter to the diversity of this server :) I primarily came back to maple for this class again and if it's too much of a bother then there are other games, hobbies, priorities that come before Maple. Please be respectful of other's opinions in the comments section. Thanks for reading :) ! SlimeXD

• Like Like x 6
  2. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    2:54 AM
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    I feel for you. Off all the jobs/classes available, Marksman was the last to cross the 4th job threshold. To see the number of extra issues, some I hadn't even heard of...

#1 Snipe being not 1-hit-KO had been brought up before by Samus. It was a good post and you've definitely summed it up how she had figured it out how it does not 1-hit-KO. I agree with you on this point that it's out of place for it not being so. As even at lvl 10 it still has a cooldown of more then a minute or 2. I think at lvl 30 it has a cooldown of 10-15 seconds on this version. So I can imagine it hits hard that if/when ToT comes out, snipe will not be as it was.

#2 The minimum range thing has always been a part of Archers and to a lesser degree Thieves. It's part of their playstyle. Most likely why Mortal Blow is part of the skills repertoire of both 3th job Archers. I can truly imagine how annoying it is. I've gotten my occasional frustration with mobs spawning right ontop of me too. So I agree that with the 5 second charge added to it. It's far harsher for Marksman to run into this issue then a Bowmaster ever will. I'm not certain if this could be fixed. But if it could, I agree with you here that this needs to change.

#3 Another issue I agree on, however, to fix this is a lot harder. I've found Maplestory to be squeemish at best handling multiple keyboard inputs. Me using hurricane and not able to open buddy list while holding the hurricane button for example. Although for me it's an inconvenience. For you it's life threatening. As, I can imagine, perfect positioning sometimes requires to run through a mob. Are you able to jump while charging?

#4 I'm not familiar with the Marksman playstyle, do you mean by jump-shooting that you jump and midair shoot the piercing arrow?

3. Samus

Samus Dark Stone Golem

May 15, 2015
    Female
    8:54 PM
    Samus
    Marksman
    +1 this.
    I know we're not NLs, bishops, or bowmasters, but marksmen matter too :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    toxiclife

toxiclife Red Snail

Jul 19, 2015
    Male
    Lalli
    Marksman
    Dreamers
    @Sam_Vosh@Sam_Vosh , in #4 when i refer to jump-shot. I mean charging up the shot and jumping and shooting in mid-air, and you can charge in the air and on ladders but as soon as you release the shot and you are not on the ground the skill fails. In addition I would like to add that even the knockback from getting hit by attacks can cancel pierce if released while being knocked back.

5. Samus

Samus Dark Stone Golem

May 15, 2015
    Female
    Samus
    Marksman
    Well this was a nice thread but i guess no one cares about marksmen still
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    I agree that marksman need a buff

7. Neko

Neko Wolfspider

Dec 26, 2014
    Neko / Inumimi lvl 6x BM
    Bishop
    Project <3
    Buff them, everyone is doing bm's cuz mm's sucks atm (x

• Like Like x 1
  8. beamcasting

beamcasting Capt. Latanica

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    New york America
    yiko (banned)
    Bishop
    Hogwarts
  9. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    6:54 PM
    Paladin
    BibleThump

• Like Like x 1
  10. Losj

Losj Capt. Latanica

Apr 28, 2015
    Dark Knight
    Project
    Agree that it should 1shot all monsters you shoot. For bossing it is a bit more complicated then throwing out a number based on the cooldown. This skill is part of your rotation and will add up to the total amount of damage. There are no Marksmans atm in the position to get accurate readings on this so I hope you have motivation enough to be the first one :)

The deadzone for all ranged classes is a good thing (my opinion). It makes you have to maneuver around and forces you to think slightly more then other classes like warrior ect. who can rush into mobs and go bonkers. I get it that it can be frustrating sometimes but you have plenty of tools to avoid this issue. For example you can dragons breath a group of mobs freeze it charge it w/out any issue and you will most likely (given the skill is high enough lvl) 1shot them or close to. Marksman is really unique and a lot more fun them Bowmasters if it comes down to grinding / playstyle.

Sadly we all have to deal with this but it has always been like this (on EMS).

I don't really care about this too much.

Overall good topic but try to use the tools you have to your advantage. There are many classes who have issues. Marksman is one of those.
    I play a Dark Knight myself and for me on the early levels with low level Berserk ect. was not an easy grind either. Eventually you get better gear and will grind a lot smoother and easier. My damage can not compete with Night Lords but one thing is for sure, I really enjoy my class!

You still have SE and parties will take you regardless for that. You might not be top damage dealer but everyone who is not a Night Lord has to deal with that. You are far from being a useless class. You have many unique features as a Marksman and have many ways to deal with issues when you are grinding. Like every class gear is a big factor of issues. Once you do more damage you can clear out floors better therefore will not walk into mobs as much. You can manipulate spawn on floors when you grind at certain maps to avoid that issue as well. On top of that not every map is meant to be for you. Newties for example is a great grind spot for Marksman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS4RfbhCmU This guy deals with most issues you bring to light.

To sum things up.
    I think you have good points but try to look at the bigger picture. You are definitely not a bad class. Yes you are out shined by Bowmasters but you have a very unique playstyle and are able to do a good amount of damage even though it will not be top.

You have gotten to this point. Try to get a little further until your skills are higher. I am sure your life will be a lot easier.

11. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Pretty sure all of the things mentioned here are client sided checks and were part of the original v.62 gameplay. I think only the cool down on snipe can be lowered through .wz updates.

I'm not saying they are good, or should be kept for the sake of gMSlike-ness. Certainly some points are valid, but changing them would be near impossible for as far as I know.

12. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    7:54 PM
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    Marksman Lives matter BibleThump -Your Neighborhood Sniper

+juan

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. Salamander

Salamander Timer

Jun 16, 2015
    Male
    10:54 AM
    Salamander
    Dark Knight
    +1 Lalli, I've never played a Marksman but I know that you are the one persistent lone wolf in Dreamers that's always grinding hard and it's such a shame to see that you didn't get what you came back for so I will support you till the very end <3

14. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    I agree that the cooldown should be shortened, but nothing else really seems like a big issue. The Pierce thing is just part of the game, sadly.

15. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Snipe will do up to 199k next rev update. Seeing the client is capped at 99k, visual wise it will show 99k still.

No comments about cooldown changes at this point.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Looked at all other listed issues and unfortunately all of them are client sided and unchangeable. I could not even reduce the time of the charge.

17. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    Paladin
    at least you guys don't get shit talked everyday </3

lyke if u cri erevyteim

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I think the charge time is fine how it is. Piercing arrow can do a HUGE amount of damage to the last mob. And bowman is supposed to be difficult with their close range limitation.

Still, wouldn't you think just throwing a puppet down away from you solves the problem of mobs aggroing on you and swarming? Oh yeah, but puppet is often glitched when another player is on the same map as you, isn't it? :cry:

19. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Moving to accepted, rest of the complains are unfortunately unchangeable for now.