1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The current state of this server and its issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Autoassemble, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    12:45 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    That sounds boring and tedious... something perfect for devising a program that converts the old script structures into the new structures. At least that's what I'm getting from what is said. Might be possible too.

But yeah, I understand. ^^ Mistakes certainly do happen in these situations.

2. Losj

Losj Capt. Latanica

Apr 28, 2015
    8:45 PM
    Dark Knight
    Project
    It is mistake after mistake the last few months. Remember Zakum? Still to this day it is not working how it should. Now Horntail is the same shit all over again. Zakum has been an issue 4 months now? Party members getting kicked out ect. I am getting really tired of this. On top of that Kimberly seems to be picking specific portions of the main post to respond to while ignoring others.

I think it is time for Navi to get some people working and testing end game content who actually "know" how things are supposed to be working instead of whats going on now. I am not saying people are not working hard to fix issues but they just don't know enough about the game. After what happened yesterday I am sure of that.

3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I am going say this for second time but your posts and demands are extremely disrespectful. All you've been doing for months is beg non-stop for ToT and a lot of other features and if things don't go the way you want go you go all rampage on a free to play server.

There's a bigger Private Server around now that has recently hired a PAID developer to get their stuff done and they are now around for 2 years and have much less working than we do. We are now up for 5 months and everyone expects everything to work. I am glad this server became big, don't get me wrong, but because this server became so big people got to end-game so quickly which was not coded yet, or re-coded rather. The mentioned server didn't have end game bosses working either when they were 5 months old. Heck, it probably took them 1 and half years if I remember correctly.

Now you want us to fix Zakum, Horntail, and ToT all at same time. But no, people are also requesting for events! This is just not do-able with 1 developer that does it for FREE on his FREE TIME, for YOU GUYS. Even I am working all day on my new project and I don't even play on my legit. I do this all for you guys and we are working as hard as we can.

I know its frustrating that these issues happen but this is expected in a Private Server, really. We could really implement a lot of things easily in much less time, but it won't be GMS-like, it will be custom, and it will be very buggy in end. We want our to present a high-quality server so we use GMS-like packets and this just takes longer than doing it the lazy way like 95% of the servers out there, especially v0.62 servers.

And once again, there aren't many developers around that know how to find packet structures. Yes, they may be able to code, but they cannot add/implement things the way we do. I've already mentioned 2 times now that after this big revision update there will be someone that help us out.

Back when I played in other servers I was always bashing on GM's too because of they slacked, but I didn't know back then how hard and difficult everything is. If you knew how it all goes you most likely would understand how much we are working behind the scenes (which you may not see as a user). You can ask Sam_VoshSam_Vosh probably since she was longest around in staff so she know how it goes, even though she's currently (rightfully) disappointed at how the run went. She knows how much we work behind the scene.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 14
  4. Redwine

Redwine Capt. Latanica

Apr 20, 2015
    USA
    2:45 PM
    Redwine
    CIRCUS
    you don't have to play here 24/7. get a fucking life buddy

• Like Like x 2
  5. Losj

Losj Capt. Latanica

Apr 28, 2015
    Dark Knight
    Project
    You said to me either via Skype or in game (not sure) ToT is ''Done". This was a month ago. The only thing that is not working was the first map to transform into a dragon. Even all the quests were done.
    The only thing I am saying. Next time if you change something test it before you release it. If it does not work don't open it and get everyone there hopes up. I and many others wasted a lot of time on Horntail yesterday for something you knew was not working if you would have tested it.

6. Marty

Marty Headless Horseman

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Broken
    Shadower
    Horizon
    You're saying that staff doesn't know how the game is supposed to work... You think they are under the impression a malfunctioning NPC is fine? You're calling out staff without knowing both sides and expecting way too much for a relatively new server with a single, unpaid developer. I'm not sure if you ever saw Royals 5 months after the wipe or launch, but it was a complete disaster. If you think Navi or any other staff member here is slacking, then your standards are too high, because compared to them, this server has an incredibly active and good staff. Also, just as an example, it took above mentioned server a fucking year to get HT up and running, and it's still not as good as it is here right now, because, as KimberlyKimberly said, it's custom and therefore buggy. Honestly, the effort you put into HT is nowhere near what we put into HT on Royals and we didn't complain as much. Just learn to be patient and even the tiniest bit of understanding.

As for testing... I agree there should be very specific people around to help with bug testing, but as a tester you have access to new content before others and therefore possess knowledge that others don't and if given out, it can lead to more trouble than waiting longer for things to work at last. Trust is a big issue here.

Edit: Just to be clear, I agree with some/most of what was said by the OP. There could've been at least a notice by staff that things may not work as intended or some prior testing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Redwine

Redwine Capt. Latanica

Apr 20, 2015
    USA
    Redwine
    CIRCUS
    You and your buddies wasted, what, maybe 2-3 hours each?

Kim and Navi (and other staff) have put in thousands of hours of their free time into the server for our pleasure. Have some respect and put a filter on what you say next time.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    1:45 PM
    I hope this will be the last time I post on this topic.

I want to reiterate that I apologize for the buggy run and I acknowledge the hours you wasted trying to organize and execute this run. However, like Kim and other people have stated, we're a relatively young server and the server runs on a completely voluntary staff. We spend a great deal of our free-time working to improve the server and this can't be understated (at least from my perspective).

However, if it wasn't for you guys, we wouldn't be here; therefore, I'm extremely appreciative that you guys have supported us through what I consider to be a darker time period. Regardless, in the end, we are ultimately a private server and our services are free. I don't wish for there to be any misconceptions --the staff is grateful for the player-base that has manifested these past few months. We are working hard and will continue to work hard to make sure we can provide everyone with the best experience we can.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I just have 2 more cents to add to the discussion:

1) When you test things, you ought to always test it on the live server in addition to the test server. In fact, might just be a superstition, but there is probably a difference testing things on a GM account compared to testing on a normal account.

2) The next update has been promised and promised with no ETA and few sneak peaks for fear that content will be 'stolen'. The simple solution is not posting the raw images of your new content. Posting screenshots is much harder to rip. And text descriptions of things. How much harm could that do? I should also point out that once the update is released, those lazy servers will be able to steal your content anyway.

3) In regards to the the next rev and who knows when it will come out: it does still seem like you have a lot of work needing to be done and you need the help now.It could be 4-6 more months before this next rev comes out. I don't know, but we haven't been told any estimates! And even from my programming experience, I know you estimate things, and then RL happens and things go wrong, and it takes much longer than anticipated.It just doesn't make any sense to want to wait to get help after you complete a huge/important project.

Even someone that doesn't know all your packet structure or difficult things could still help out by scripting NPCs and such for events. It's simple! Navi works on the important stuff, you have an underling work on the less important priority stuff like events... but in making an event, it still helps keep the playerbase happy.

edit: 4) I also remember suggesting we could at least send out a patch containing things made so far: in particular, the new cosmetics to the cash shop. Yet this hasn't come to fruition yet either...

10. OP
    OP
    Autoassemble

Autoassemble Selkie Jr.

Apr 14, 2015
    Male
    7:45 PM
    iDummie
    Thief
    As this thread is now turning into personal attacks etc I also would like to reiterate the main point of this thread.
    I understand that the staff is doing their absolute best to supply the community with the best possible server and they hate when things doesn't work as they should.
    I understand the staff is doing all this without really getting any payment, and I respect the fact that they have limited amounts of time and can therefore only do so much, but I also expect to have the same respect going out towards the players as well.
    I know that this is a fairly new server and that things are progressing fast and that this server is making good content at a faster pace than most other server.
    ALL I ask is to know as a player that when the content is actually available to use, that it will work to a reasonable degree.

I will say it again, rushing content because people want to access it and then to end up in situations like this horntail run is far worse than delaying it to ensure that it is fully functional.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    Just for the sake of responding, I am aware of some content not working as it should, and I still have a long list of content that I need to work on. I have personally had a to-do list stickynoted on my laptop for months and it includes the following content that is not yet up to my expectations:
    • Spindle/Coupon Codes for iTCG
    • Guild PQ
    • Guilds/Alliances
    • Amoria content (Weddings, PQ)
    • Zakum/Horntail
    • Happyville content
    • Server Side Wz Content
    I absolutely do know how the end game content is supposed to work and I know there are bugs with it (that I am in the process of working on btw). I have no idea where you saw or who told you that either Zakum or Horntail were completely fixed because I have been saying since the beta that it is still a WIP (work in-progress). If you see any content that is not GMS-working, consider it still something I intend to work on and fix (see some of the quest issues that were reported in May that I only now have properly figured out how to fix so it is 100% GMS).

That being said, I certainly could have mentioned something at the creation of the HT run thread, but it was my every intention to have it fixed before the run occurred. I will say that I did not edit any of the event frameworks, meaning I only edited the NPC. Because the first run went fine without any issues with the event itself, aside from the re-entry exploit, I assumed it would be do-able without the problems that did end up occurring.

Just a little background on what happened on my end of things - I told Catalyst early this past week that I would have the Horntail re-entry exploit fixed, because to be quite honest it is a simple fix and would not take much of my time. This past Monday was Labor Day (U.S holiday), and I spent much of it fixing some content for you guys (which you will see in the coming revision). Unfortunately, because of the holiday, I had extra work on the other days for my job (this coming week is nationwide manager meetings and I had a lot of things to do and ended up working 11-12 hour days Tuesday-Friday). Because I am not going to throw my staff under the bus and make it look like they're lying, I worked on the NPC script Saturday morning (along with some other content). Of course I tested this locally and the entry was working fine, so I pushed the update to the live server.

Note that I choose not to pay for internet in my apartment due to this being only a temporary housing option before I do house stuff, and my only option is Comcast, whom I don't want to get stuck in a long term contract with, since they're a pain in the ass to get out of a contract with. That being said, I uploaded the script to the live server from a location with public wifi, and then left to run errands (this was literally 15 mins before the run). I actually was going to ask the staff to test it beforehand but decided not to since I tested it on localhost and it went fine.

Now, while running errands I was told via Skype about the bugs preventing entry, and then instantly knew that what was probably causing the issue since my localhost source code changed the way some of the scripts were read (not drastic changes). Thus, I edited my scripts from my phone and then remotely used a SSH to deploy my changes. I ended up making 1 typo on my first deploy, saw that there was one more change I forgot about, made it but with one typo, before fully fixing the npc. All in all, this was about a 30 minute process to fix from mobile, and I do take blame for not testing it live.

As for the testing content before release, staff usually does this during any maintenances. This situation was unique only because the source code handling some of the content being fixed was different live vs locally, which will not be an issue once the revision is in effect.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to continuous disrespect, but if it something you were unsatisfied with you should absolutely tell us (whether publically or privately). I take everybody's feedback/criticism very seriously, but changes can't be made if you don't say something.

Regarding transparency, I personally think I have been very transparent. Please elaborate if there are things you'd like to be more transparent. If you follow some posts I make, you can pretty easily see what will be fixed in the next revision. If you want more specifics, I encourage you to ask for details in the thread or PM me.

• Like Like x 13
  12. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    ....you know, I can come off as always negative and never positive a lot of times. I do just want to say that I think you guys have done a great job with the server so far. Even despite these recent issues, I'm never questioning my time spent here. Right off the bat, I knew this server was something special when those bugs I typically have seen on every other private server weren't here. It's only just a matter of time before you squish these ones too.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I don't see rationality for the level of lashing out at the staff in this thread. They seem to have made a few hiccups here and there, but nothing unforgivable. Not to act like this. Yes, progress has slowed down because Navi evolved from coding robot to a full-functioning humanoid a couple months ago, but Kim and Navi have made it clear, and it is obvious, that they are still putting in a lot of time in to Legends.
    This server is still relatively fresh off of the boat. Like Kimberly said, compare the progress here to the progress of every other v62 server in this length of time. Holy shit.
    Just try HT again later. I know it's a bitch to get a character to the point of being able to fight HT, but it's not like they're never gonna take care of it. Whoah.

All I can really say is thank you for still being here while I cured my damn drinking problem through the year, haha...

Comcast really grinds my gears. And my wallet.
    What's wrong with the guilds/alliances?
    I recommend fixing Zak/HT first, out of your to-do list. It would be a good idea to deploy patches for those two, verify that they are no longer malfunctioning with a test party on the live server, and then make an announcement that they are fixed, ASAP. Worry about the other stuff later. I haven't been here much for the last 5 months so I don't know the other reasons why people are so frustrated with you guys, but it seems to me like that would get the most whining out of your ears until you have more time to spend coding. Also, the long-term, loyal, regular players rely on taking down Zak and (attempting) HT for their entertainment here, and we don't wanna lose anyone.
    also, ily

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matt123

Matt123 Snail

Sep 14, 2015
    Male
    7:45 PM
    From personal experience I've found it useful to try and act professional when unexpected server issues occur. You don't see me slagging off MapleLegends when things go wrong on Royals. I'd appreciate if you would do the same and don't, especially with incorrect information. These two quotes are not even very relevant to the thread, the first one when it should have been obvious that AutoAssemble was not enquiring about WZ edits. And the second one is simply a poor taste. You already know how I feel about you claiming that we have "stolen" from you as per our email correspondence the other week. Additionally we have never stated if any of our developers get paid, so I don't know where you got that information from, so it simply looks like you have made it up or are going off rumours to create a stronger comparison with an irrelevant and unprofessional remark.

On a lighter note, I applaud Navi's efforts in how well he's been pushing out bug fixes and development for this server. The players should be proud and appreciate the work he's done so far in such a short space of time.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    We all appreciate the kind words about Navi and all appreciate the hard work he puts into the server.

If you have any issues with what has been said please handled it in private. You're a part of Royals staff (or the owner I don't really know), it'd be wise to take a little of your own advice and be professional.

• Like Like x 7
  16. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    Paladin
    Love you Navi <3

KappaPride

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    This topic will now be locked since the message has been delivered by the OP and its sidetracking way too much.

Matt123Matt123: If any information is incorrect than I apologize. I've based it on your CCplz hiring topic and past events. As of the "stealing" part, I wasn't directing at any server in that regard; it was a general thing. It has happened, anyone can do it again.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.