1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to have zero update testing downtime [LegendsTespia]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Invictus, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    10:41 PM
    Invictus
    Priest
    It's actually really simple, just run another server for testing stuff, hire extra 10 people to test stuff with the GameMasters, this way you can test content and confirm that it's bug-less whilst having the main server running, this way when it's time to update, everything is finished with no pressure...
    Players will play
    GMs won't have deadline problems, ETA complaints or any nightmares whilst sleeping.
    Nobody loses sleep, everybody wins.

I hereby also volunteer to test unlimited content whenever I can if this gets implemented, I've served as a GM and content tester before in game, I don't mind testing content for you guys in the future so we can speed up the process.

2. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    4:41 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    I am pretty sure this was suggested by LatteLatte after the big HT fail drama happened. Something about a Tespia server as well.
    Edit: yup, here it is

3. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    4:41 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Tespia isn't free. effort for running tespia may over effort for nowadays.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    Invictus
    Priest
    I didn't see any thread on that, oh well, I think that with the past 2 days in mind we have a confirmation hopefully.

5. OP
    OP
    Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    Invictus
    Priest
    Tespia doesn't have to run 24/7, just once in a while to test stuff when they are coded to the best possible without testing.

6. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    means, 2 servers. = $$$ + double effort to maintain servers.
    if you wanna run tespia with only 1 server, while tespia is running, RIP live server. and it has no difference with now.

instead of it, while maintaining, recruiting "testers" to aid GMs, I think this would be better. instaed of just testing everything by GMs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    9:41 PM
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    I have no idea what is smart to do here. Though I believe in the gm's in this server. They surely know about this (I think). When they choose to not use it I support them 100% :p. Once per month 2 days downtime I can handle for sure.

8. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    If you say so...Kappa

• Like Like x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    Invictus
    Priest
    you appear to be not so good with math, if they run the testing they're doing right now on another server for let's say 4 days, that's not even double the money, they need one channel, they run it for 8 hours per day or so for 4 days, not 24/7, they have considerable flexibility, they can sit back and take breaks, running a tespia is IDEAL....
    Heck they can even run a tespia server allowing all players to test with them with the updated WZ files, but I think running an extra tespia server for a fraction of the time adds no considerable costs.
    People who could be joining in would donate more to the server, I don't think anyone has donated for the past 48 hours.

10. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    There is no ETA Kappa

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    ehh...... you may think 4 days per a month may add 4/30 of recent effort but it's not true......
    think about - setting new server host, preparing wholy new localhost, repacking whole client for "every changes" day by day, it's not economical.

ps. I majored math in uni Kappa

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  12. OP
    OP
    Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    Invictus
    Priest
    Calculate how to do 99998 instead of 99999 then XD

How many days do you estimate a tespia server setup to take ?

13. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    [​IMG]

CozieCozie

• Like Like x 10
  14. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    No sarcasm plz. that 99999 ban isn't fun for me and it'll be fixed in this rev.

Kim and Navi changes things day by day and after they confirm all is working fine, they release it to us.
    if they had to release once they change something it'll slower progress also, and that's not good for us too

think about this in view of service provider, not user. I know you're tired for this long maintenance and so do I.
    Just wanna say tespia can't solve this problem. even KMS (had nearly 5m player pool) tespia couldn't do it's work well.
    I'm pretty doubtful that it'll work it's function well in this small player pool (200+)

15. beamcasting

beamcasting Capt. Latanica

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    New york America
    3:41 PM
    yiko (banned)
    Bishop
    Hogwarts
    dude this games free so not everything is gonna be online 100% of the time besides legends doesnt have too much money for it and theyd rather spend there money on more important things

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nave

Nave Horny Mushroom

May 9, 2015
    Zane
    Reformed
    [​IMG]

17. LunchBox

LunchBox Brown Teddy

Apr 26, 2015
    Female
    Deep Blue C
    Lunch
    Spearman
    Destined
    You still need a window for maintenance for when you actually do the upgrade, but yeah - bug testing and fixes should be done behind the scenes in a testing environment, and not live... Live testing is grade school stuff. Very bad.

• Like Like x 2
  18. OP
    OP
    Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    Invictus
    Priest
    Welcome back, I love your Embedder <3 helps a lot with multiclienting!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    It would be interesting if someone could clarify why testing needs to be done on the online server in the first place. Other than player interaction shouldn't offline testing work too?

20. OP
    OP
    Invictus

Invictus Chronos

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Lonely planet
    Invictus
    Priest
    GPQ requires online testing, but yeah ,they could test ToT and many other stuff offline, and if they had tespia running for a couple of days, they could do anything.
    Tespia would greatly improve the experience of both players and staff, less stress and complaints for both parties....

They could even run a testing server on hamachi if they wanna do so for free LMFAO XD