1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

We need a brainstorm thread to make the island more active.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Liprings, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    1:53 AM
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    Bro you are getting way off track.

My logic does not imply the island should be 1x as I have clearly joined a 2x server for a reason. However adding things like bosses is silly as it's not what being an islander is about. We WANT to hit pigs and mushrooms for the rest of our foreseeable island-future. I did not contradict myself - you respond to imaginary things that you assume I was implying - but wasn't.

Stop bringing up examples off-island, irrelevant.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    11:53 AM
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    I never tried it during the event. I must have misread then. When you said:
    You cannot trade/loot drops in event maps like Happyville, nor GM-hosted events like Jump Quests.
    Made me think that trade/loot drops meaning you couldn't drop at all. IDK why I thought this. pretty bored of being on the forums.

3. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    This is not irrelevant. This is very relevant. If you're saying certain things shouldn't exist, and certain things should exist, then you're contradicting yourself... You have to go "off track" to prove a point. You're logic is an opinion.

I am not off track anyway, I am protecting the fact my idea was to bring more people to have a point in playing/making Islanders which is literally what this thread is trying to do.

I try to help people like you and you just shun my ideas right out of the window because you don't agree with me. Do you even know how to brainstorm ideas? You can't even admit that it would bring more Islanders to Maple Island.

This wasn't even directed towards you, I didn't quote you in it... This was directed to Lionheart... Just wondering if you even read the post I quoted meaning why would you respond to it like I was even talking to you?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  4. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    Of course it's an opinion, I never said otherwise.

I understand what you were trying to do, and I said earlier that your ideas basically change the core functionality of being an islander. Instead we become baby-offlanders. LOL.
    If I wanna get a bunch of jobless people to kill mushmom we can make permanent beginners and do that off-island.

Islanders should not have bosses.

Edit: Your suggestion is on par with "We should get more people to play paladin, so lets give them genesis!" ... Yeah, more people now play paladin - but you've drastically changed what makes a paladin a paladin.. If people want genesis - make a bishop! If islanders want bosses, make an offlander! (I know, super far fetched - but I feel it's necessary for you to understand my point, as you seem to keep dismissing it).

• Like Like x 7
  5. TRM

TRM Mushmom

Apr 13, 2015
    Male
    SlimShady
    Bowmaster
    Lame
    I made an islander, got it to lvl 18-19 and haven't touched it since. But I think maple island should be left as is. Isn't the purpose of playing an islander is to give yourself a challenge by only leveling off of pigs snails mushrooms etc? Adding stronger monsters, higher level equips (excluding the maple weapons and roses that originally dropped from island mobs in GMS), and bosses will ruin what is supposed to be "nostalgic and challenging".

• Like Like x 5
  6. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    Thought the point of an Islander was to stay away from all of the other classes besides beginners. I thought that was the concept, to get things on your own instead of buying stuff from the community. Besides, you're probably not going to be bossing with certain bosses like Zombie Mushmom, since I think you'd probably get ksed by an ACTUAL CLASS. I mean, I'm not going to lie... If I seen a beginner attacking Zombie Mushmom, then I would kill it/ besides, you can get leeched by being an offlander which throws off the difficulty you have when leveling on the actual Island. Adding bosses enhance leveling on Maple Island, it doesn't throw it out of the window like being able to leech would.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    The point is to limit yourself to what is on the island only. Adding new bosses or monsters defeats that point.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    Do you know what the point of this thread is? The point of this thread (I'll say it again), is to make the Island more active. The point of this thread is not to discuss what you think an Islander should be (You guys brought the discussion off topic, I did not [again]). Keeping Maple Island the EXACT same, isn't going to bring anymore Islanders to the Island. I do believe someone said that Islanders on other servers have more things to do, which literally just proves my point.

9. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    5:53 PM
    I think we could break Shanks' boat down. That would keep people there.

• Like Like x 15
  10. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    I kept calling it Victoria Island here too and nobody noticed... Had to read this a second time and then I thought, Best. Idea. Ever. But truthfully, I don't think it would make the Island extremely active since most people would run out of things to do there and quit.

11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:53 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    lol, there is a thing called "opposition". Some people are against adding or changing anything on maple island. These people also have the right to express their opinion, and they have backed up their reasoning with arguments like what it means to actually be an islander. You have to at least give them credit for saying something to support their decisions.

Constantly being rude and obnoxious and trying to shut down people's opinions with petty arguments doesn't help your cause and only makes you look more immature.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    "shut down people's opinions with petty arguments" - This is the definition of what you guys are doing to me LOL.

You don't even have an Islander and you're arguing with me about my ideas of the thread. You don't even have a valid reason as to why bosses shouldn't be added. The only thing you can say is because an Islander loses it's purpose as an Islander? I ask how, and I don't get a good reason. To me, an Islander is an Islander as long as it's a Beginner on Maple Island without being able to see the other classes or trade with the other classes off of the island. You can talk to them in guild/whisper/bl, but that's as far as it goes. Adding content to the island does not remove the fact that they are still on Maple Island and are the only ones able to access the content. I want you to challenge me on this. Then I want you to tell me more people wouldn't make Islanders. offlanders, are not Islanders because they can get leeched from people who aren't offlanders and have access to mostly EVERYTHING that a regular class has.

When you say Adding content (aka Bosses) to Maple Island is taking away from an Islander, it's about as dumb as saying: putting a collar on a dog doesn't make the dog a dog anymore because it's wearing a collar...
    It's like saying dressing up your dog takes away from the fact your dog is no longer a dog.
    If this is the case it's about as dumb as saying adding/changing content in the normal Maplestory game makes the game lose ALL OF THE NOSTALGIA. <--- this is literally what you ARE saying. It sounds so stupid since the majority of the game is unaffected.

What you guys are arguing has NOTHING to do with the thread. It deals with your opinions and I did not reject what you think, I'm only explaining that I'm certain more islanders would be made for my opinion. The point of this thread was to make the Island more active. Leaving things alone will NOT make the Island more active. Anyone who argues with me about adding new things to make the Island more active would make Maple Island less active, is pretty dumb (imo). I've played Maplestory long enough to realize that every single time there's something new added to the game, there's a spike in the player base. Even after the big bang patch, they literally had to add several new servers to keep up with the population. Why is this? New content. It changed how the game is played severely. The game took much more thought with the percentages involved (I understand how it works, but I still played up until level 206 on my Hero).

Rude and Obnoxious? I think you mean being honest. I didn't know honesty meant rude and obnoxious. It's Ignorant people who shun my ideas without considering them that make me seem to be rude and obnoxious.

13. ChiefBandit

ChiefBandit Slimy

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    6:53 PM
    Mother
    Warrior
    Synergy
    I dont want to argue about this topic but I just want to know something.
    If the purpose of the thread is to discuss a way to make the island more active,
    can some1 explain why we need to make it more active?

Also on another note, the island is not going to suddenlly change just because some1 opened a thread about it, IF it will change, before that, one of the GMs will probablly open a thread about it and make a poll to see what the majority of the players (and probablly mostly islanders themselves) think about it (even then no matter what the decision is, it might not take place at all).
    So i just want to let the islanders know that nothing will suddenlly change and if you think that just because some1 opened a thread about it, it will change, you can relax and stop arguing because its likelly to not happen anyways seeing how the server being the server up until now.

Im not saying that it cant change, if most of the players and islanders want a change AND the staff agrees to it AND its even possible to change it (it might not be possible at all), plus it has to be somewhat v62 content because the server is a v62 private server. Then there can be a change.

Sorry about grammar and etc.

I dont want to argue about this thread so this is probablly my last post in this thread.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BlurryFace

BlurryFace Mixed Golem

Dec 8, 2015
    Female
    Netherlands
    5:53 PM
    Shoo
    Marauder
    GoedVerhaal
    I gave up on my islander bc I had no one to interact with :-(. As Gi mentioned somewhere earlier, it would be cool if islanders could hang out in FM too, just for social reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Liprings

Liprings Mushmom

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    10:53 AM
    Tonk
    Islander
    As the #1 islander on the server, I wanted this to be a brainstorm thread where we could come up with cool ideas on how to increase the population of islanders.
    As of now Islanders are allowed to go to GM events, but can't really do much else.
    I don't want this to be a fight about whats right/wrong.
    I just thought if we all put our heads together, we could come up with something ingenious no-one had thought of yet that could be implemented.
    You may say this is pointless, but maplelegends did include an Islander rankings tab for a reason, they obviously care about their islander community.
    Honestly, it doesn't affect my gameplay in any way, we all have dreams, and MapleLegends although nostalgic, is it's own thing, Maplestory is nostalgic to different people to different people.
    But, I'm also creating new memories.

Also...
    New Idea, we could do mini bosses that drop already Island exclusive items.
    This way no new content item wise would be introduced, but there would be more of a challenge/fun bossing thing to do on an islander.
    (similar to how gms has mini bosses in every map now)

16. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    5:53 AM
    More quests maybe? I know there was JMS exclusive quest called protect lucas's farm and it gave a random colored wg (with the exception of a bwg). Perhaps the level req to start quest could be 20 or so? Cause who in their right mind would level a beginner to lv 20 many times, just to farm colored wgs...

• Like Like x 1
  18. VonBIT

VonBIT Pac Pinky

Dec 22, 2014
    Sharkbait
    Islander
    The Island is still bearable, the main problem with the island being inactive, is the fact that it's inactive. More people = more people.

In my opinion, some things could be changed that would increase the amount of active Islanders.

1) Implement Custom Island Match Card / Omok NPC

Could edit Pio, and make an option to create Match Card Sets / Omok Sets (Orange Mush / Pig), since Pio is the Island item collector. This doesn't really change gameplay, and could give Islanders something to do when they're bored.

2) FM Button / Chat Room Makeover
    This is something that GiGi and I have talked about since when the server was in Open BETA. First off, remove the FM Button, as this is not GMS-like and makes transferring items way easier, and many other "exploits". Replace the FM Button, with a warp to a Chat Room. In the Chat Room, similar to event maps, it is impossible to trade / drop items. Along with that, make it impossible to use any party buffs, and basically impossible to do anything besides talk and use mini-games. Allow anyone to use this Chat Room button, including Islanders.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    10:53 AM
    Nikki
    Assassin
    I was a passionate islander back in the GMS days. I played islander/camper characters in a few different servers and was an active member on z3 (islander's forum.. anyone post their..?)

Islanders are a different breed of mapler. The type of mapler that rejected the P2W aspect before pservers came along and rejecting the P2W aspect became the thing. Maple hipsters, if you will. Islanders were not afraid of change regarding maple island, the monsters it offered, or the items available. Infact, they were oftentimes extremely excited for it. I believe the reason people played islanders in GMS is because of the tight knit community and most importantly level playing field. This is why islanding was alive and well up until the exact date of the MTS systems introduction. It made the playing field unbalanced in a way that could not be fixed. Islanding became P2W for those who betrayed their islanding instincts.

As long as the playing field remains level I am all for the addition of new quests, mini bosses, items, and monsters into maple island. Infact it would probably encourage me to return to my maple roots and create one. As long as the additions keep to 1. the generic maple story theme of Maple Island 2. stay true to the zanyness of islanders

List of things to do to be successful in boosting islander popularity in my opinion, ranked by importance:

1. Introduce items and scrolls for almost all equip types, even if they're useless. Creating OP island items was always of the utmost importance even if the equip didn't garner an advantage. These can be given by quests, mob drops, or boss drops (easy on the +speed though, because that is the only thing that could give islanders a training speed boost and hurt the levelness of the playing field). Give the population we'd like to create something to work towards other than grinding on mushrooms for hours. I assure you the people who are islanding right now will not quit due to this. If they are real old school islanders they will accept change as long as it comes from an even playing field. To those islanders who disagree with this but also want the social aspect we all know and love from islanding to return (imo the social aspect being by far the most important part of islanding), you cannot have it both ways as it has been proven that you are the only ones who like grinding dangerous forest for hours on end without looking forward to anything but the exp bar raising millimeter by millimeter

2. Open up the FM button to islanders (trade/pickup disabled ofc) so they can FMHoe and become somewhat of a social statement, because we all know attention will breed popularity

3. (definitely optional due to hurr no job means no job) create a zany quest line via shanks that will eventually award you with the title 'Islander' rather than beginner

4. introduce cosmetic options to the islander community. Islanders needa be purty too

so ya those are my thoughts

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  20. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    8:53 AM
    NSFW
    Shut up just because i didn't argue doesn't mean i agree with you. And yes i do have an islander.

I didn't argue because it's a stupid idea and we all know it won't get implemented.

Not only are your posts stupid and painful to read, they're contagious. Every other post on this forum becomes even more stupid and more painful to read because of them.

wait wasn't this my idea

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1