1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

We need a brainstorm thread to make the island more active.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Liprings, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    12:39 PM
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    Hell, in Global MapleStory it was possible to teleport to the new maple island. Perm Hyper Teleport Rock... I'm not sure if I can still do it. haven't touched it in a long while.
    lol

2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    10:39 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    lol, like you need to grind to level 30 as a beginner to know what an islander is.... When you explore around all of maple island, after you do all the quests and level up to 10, you get a pretty clear image of what it's like to be an islander: more of the same.

We're against the suggestion because we actually play the game normally, and when we make suggestions, we make it about things a far larger majority of players care about and want, and about things that might actually improve the server and attract more players. We're also against it because what you want seems to be more along the lines of making islanders not really islanders, which defeats the whole purpose of playing an islander to begin with.

Also, you can loot things people drop in happyville. They just have to leave the map first. Overall, just to keep things fair so islanders can't trade other people, and to keep event rewards balanced so they aren't getting items they shouldn't get, it's a whole lot of extra work for the development team to do for a grand total of 10 "active" players who probably only play like 2 hours a week tops on their islanders.

It's a lot simpler to just keep islanders vanilla, thus keeping true to what islanders are supposed to be about, and actually affecting more players positively with the staff's time and resources.

Because honestly? What kind of person plays an islander and no other character? I'm sure even the top 10 islanders have main characters. So... why not just do the events on those characters who got job advancements?

Occam's razor. The simplest, most elegant solution. Do the events on your regular characters, and stop trying to get your islanders in on events.

3. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    Seeing as how people don't understand and can't read, I have to bold words because people seem to skip over certain details or points that I'm making. You would have to be an idiot to think that time = challenging. I could just afk all I want and achieve that "challenge". That's so "hard to do".Getting to a certain level is a challenge. You can make this goal yourself but you achieve nothing physical from it. You can only feel like you accomplished something once you reach that goal. It is true that you may end up competing with other Islanders but regardless, a challenge has to have a goal.

4. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    Hell I don't care about Islanders. I probably wouldn't make an islander if wgs or gfa scrolls did drop. I was suggesting it because it's an idea and I don't think adding bosses would be difficult to do at certain maps or even time consuming... I was only adding to the post since, the post is about how to bring more Islanders to the server or to get more active Islanders...

5. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    2:39 AM
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    This makes my brain hurt a lot.

We do have a goal. To reach X level. The challenging part is doing so on 30 exp per single kill, which equals a lot of time.
    It feels like you're going off on a bit of an unrelated tangent here to be honest. It also sounds like you do not have an islander, so while I respect the fact that you took the time to make some initial suggestions, I do feel that you are getting very defensive over them when actual islanders have come along and stated that they feel it would take away from being an islander.

Islander will be my only character on this server, I have no plans to make anything else.
    There is nothing wrong with putting the NPC on Maple Island as well as wherever else it's going for the duration of the seasonal event.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of you then. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if you got bored and quit or made an actual character before the next event comes around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnonMS

AnonMS Mano

Dec 13, 2015
    11:39 AM
    Anon
    Beginner
    Castaway
    It feels like it is you who does not understand the point of islanders. While yes, it is true the majority of people make islanders to limit the content available to them, but there's a thin line you perceive wrongly here.
    Islandering in gMS was not completely void of any new content. Heck, there existed islanders before roses began to drop, and yet islanders welcomed these new weapons with open arms.
    And another point I will make here is people had no idea what gMS would do next. This is relevant because things could change for the better (Adding Slimes, Stumps, and Pigs to the island) or for worse (Deleting multiple maps) at any time. This is of course not something we have to worry about here, unless we want it.

My point is change, not necessarily bad.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Then enlighten us oh wise one, what the "point" of playing an islander is. I'm sure it must be a difficult philosophical point to address because playing the game normally asks the same questions. Why play maplestory at all? Why kill monsters? Why quest? Why level up? Why bother getting richer and stronger on a game with no basis in the real world?

What then, is the "point" to islanders, when you don't even do what most consider fun?

I think you are entirely missing what is going on here. (heh pulling an Andyman!)

Neckson did not intentionally add or change these things just for the sake of islanders. In fact, it's quite the opposite. They made these changes with no consideration whatsoever toward them.

When valentine roses came, it was more like "Eh, we'll just add a bunch of crappy weapons to ALL mob drops" and they left it at that. They didn't purposely include islanders in the equation. They just lazily didn't consider the inconsequential ramifications of roses dropping on maple island.

When Neckson made changes to maple island, again, it wasn't for islanders. They just thought it was time to give new players a different and perhaps more "streamlined" experience. Well, that may be subjective. But more or less, someone decided the starter area was due for a slight renovation. Again, they didn't give two shits about the players who got characters beyond level 10 there.

9. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    Your sarcasm is unnecessary. The main server I play is one which has no jobs at all and is only campers, islanders, and permanent beginners. This is the style of play I enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    9:39 AM
    NSFW
    I did for a few weeks. But then I didn't play any Maple. And now I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    The only person I've seen who didn't argue with me is NSFW as for new bosses taking away from the game. Does he have an Islander? I didn't see him state it, I'm assuming he does. He suggested Maple weapons that disappear once you leave the Island. Liprings suggested 100% scrolls for something to work towards. Doe he have an Islander? Worry supported my idea. Doe she have an Islander?

lolzer said the island wouldn't be as challenging by adding bosses that you can't defeat until a certain level.
    I only supported my idea because the topic is to brainstorm ideas for making the ISLAND MORE ACTIVE, not to argue about if something is considered Legit or Illegit Islanders. This is what the Thread is about.
    lolzer
    didn't say it took away from the game. He? (intentional since the gender is unspecified) said:
    "It wouldn't be as challenging with all these things ya'll want on the Island lol personally I'd get bored of it and quit forever."
    This is suggesting the island isn't boring as it is right now ^ lol... I'm certain most people would agree with me the Island is going to get old pretty fast if nothing new is added which makes people lose interest. This is why the island isn't that active. In fact, I think I'll make a thread to support this.

lolzer also goes onto to say:
    Ya'll like peeps who got to 15 on yo landers n quitlanded n now want a reason to reach 16 tbh
    This only supports my idea that people want more things to do then kill the same enemies. ^
    If this wasn't the case this thread would have never been made.

So I basically asked how is giving you a new goal to work towards to bring new Islanders to the Island not challenging? This is like saying the normal game isn't challenging after you hit 120. You still have to work towards Zakum, other bosses, and finally Horntail. Even after that, you could be working to "perfect your equipment". With an Islander, you only have a slow end goal of passing all of the other Islanders.

Bella is perhaps the only "Islander" who said adding new content to the island defeats the purpose of being an Islander.
    My response as I was reading was: Well shit, keep your single face then, since technically that's "new content" and she also suggested events which would also be considered "new content".

Lionheart somewhat agreed with me saying the new content and bosses and stuff would be interesting but does he have an Islander in order to not consider the Islander and Islander anymore? How is this? An Islander is an Islander as long as s/he is on Maple Island regardless of what gets added/removed. They should be the only ones on the Island, therefore imo, I consider them Islanders still. To top that off, does Lionheart even have an Islander? I think I've proved my point when I say that there haven't been many Islanders that you have suggested which are against my idea...
    So when Bella says:
    "It also sounds like you do not have an islander, so while I respect the fact that you took the time to make some initial suggestions, I do feel that you are getting very defensive over them when actual islanders have come along and stated that they feel it would take away from being an islander".
    You sound like an idiot (not calling you one) because of the fact that there haven't been many Islanders arguing with me about it. I never seen Lionheart's Islander. He's in the alliance and never talks about it, as well as the fact he's always on Lionheart...

12. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I don't have an islander. I never attempted making one because I felt it was a complete and utter waste of time. And it wouldn't be fun at all. Why does this make my opinions any less valid? I know the ins and outs of maple island as well as anyone else, at least with the help of a mob database to try to determine what exactly drops what.

When I was talking about "islanders not being islanders anymore" it's like...

You go to a really low rate server like this. Or even a 1x server. Then you make suggestions to increase the rates to 2x or 5x or 10x so as to attract more players.

You go to an oldschool server who's purpose is to only have content from back during a certain version... then you ask for Neo Tokyo, Monster Park, angelic busters, and miracle cubes.

You make an islander... then you ask for things to be put on maple island that aren't found on maple island.

Now do you get it?

• Like Like x 4
  13. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    Cosmetic changes do not take away from the islander style of play, adding bosses do. By events I meant collect events which generally reward things like silly Christmas hats, or chairs, or pumpkin spears etc. Since islander 1hko everything anyway these are cosmetic also and don't affect island game play in any significant way. Bro stop adding bold formatting to random stuff, it makes it annoying to read.

Edit: Lionheart's post above really sums it up. He might not be an islander, but that's the point I was trying to get across and I think most people who do play islanders would agree with him.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    LOL if that were the case, then they better fix gachapon on HOW IT SHOULD BE AKA HOW IT WAS. In addition to this according to you, the xp should be 1x and the quest xp should be 1x xp. I had to use you as an example because I was getting told my opinion wasn't valid since I don't have an Islander. I was just using that as a stupid excuse since someone used that stupid excuse on me. It was to prove a point... I have a LOT of time invested in MapleStory and I know what the majority of people want.

We still have missing CONTENT. We have the good majority of it, but they removed PG Leech with a lvl 31 on Bigfoot and skele leech for lvls 50 +. We should have these things since they existed back in the day.

According to what you just said, you might as well say oldschool servers are illegit with all of the players being illegit since they modify some of the things to make the game more fun/give you more things to do. You literally just contradicted yourself.
    The fact that White Scrolls (gachapon) and GM Scrolls for 1H Sword for Attack (Crimsonwood Keep Exchange) that doesn't exist (even though it used to) literally is the same concept as what you just said about Islanders not being Islanders anymore. In addition to this, APQ doesn't exist in this version yet to further my point. I'm sure other people will back me up on this.

15. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    Tell me, what was the point of the post again? Please type it for me then read it back to yourself. Then I want you to tell me more Islanders wouldn't get made.

16. AnonMS

AnonMS Mano

Dec 13, 2015
    11:39 AM
    Anon
    Beginner
    Castaway
    Okay... I thought I told you that the primary purpose of islanders was to limit themselves as a self-imposed challenge.
    You could argue that back in the old days it was to "wow" noobs or help them. But this is probably not true to today.

You've made yourself clear you were never an islander in gMs and haven't been one here. So if you will, do allow me to enlighten you.
    Dating back to as early as 2007 I've played as an islander. So listen when I tell you again; no one complained when roses dropped, no one complained when the island changed to add these new monsters. The purpose for these changes to the island back then don't really matter now do they, because what we're talking about here is methods to changing the island just as gMS did so long ago but with more consideration towards this small community.
    You probably figure that islanders are completely unwelcoming to change, thus why a small amount has migrated to v62 servers. But what I'm telling you is that this is not true at all. Islanders are, and have always been happy to see new contend available to them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Andyman99999Andyman99999 lol. What does maple island have to do with any of the other content on the server? What, do you think that because I don't think one thing should be changed, that means I am a hypocrite if I think something else should be changed? That's a load of bullshit, and you know it.

Here's the thing: I don't think maple island needs any new content or changes, and the reason why is that it's perfectly fine as it is. Most people just get their beginners to level 8 or 10 and then they're gone. It's not that significant of an area to piddle over. Furthermore, since we only have beginners there and a few low leveled monsters, there aren't any balance concerns either.

Maple island is a completely different topic aside from APQ, gachapon, and other balance changes... mainly because you haven't even gotten to the real game until you're off maple island. Some people would argue that the game doesn't truly start until you've reached 4th job.

18. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    The whole idea of the post, literally quoted:
    "We need a brainstorm thread to make the island more active."

If we keep the Island the same it defeats the purpose of the post, meaning it shouldn't even have been a suggestion at all. You're basically saying suggestions shouldn't be considered. I was only suggesting that to create more Islanders you need something that everyone wants to do/more content. I mean, we could just delete the Island completely. BAM! No more arguments of what Islanders want according to you. I already argued my opinion, I'm not going to explain it again.

19. Andyman99999

Andyman99999 Pac Pinky

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Andyman99999
    Hero
    Misfits
    I do recall being able to drop snowpieces at the machine. I also recall being able to drop etc items at that map so I could make room for presents.

20. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    6:39 PM
    I never said you couldn't drop. I said you can't loot other people's drops.