1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing Elemental Composition (for both mages)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lionheart, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:48 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Regarding this thread here: http://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/element-compositon-elemental-wands.6362/

It's concluded that elemental wands should be affecting Elemental Composition of both f/p and i/l mages, seeing as all their damage is indeed element based, but Neckson screwed up and didn't actually code it properly.

NaviNavi says they can't do anything, as this is purely a client-sided calculation. But as a matter of fact, we can. What we can do is increase the base power of these skills by an appropriate amount though edits to skill.wz.

Fire Arrow power with an ele wand:
    Mob weak to fire: 225

Elemental Composition power:
    Mob weak to fire and poison: 225
    Mob weak to fire, neutral to poison: 187.5
    Mob weak to fire, strong vs poison: 150

Mob neutral to fire: 150

mob neutral to fire, weak to poison: 187.5
    Mob neutral to fire and poison: 150
    Mob neutral to fire, strong vs poison: 112.5

Mob strong to fire: 75

mob strong vs fire, weak to poison: 150
    Mob strong vs fire, neutral to poison: 112.5
    Mob strong vs fire and poison: 75

This is just a basic comparison for f/p skills. As you can see, fire arrow is undoubtedly better except in cases where the mob is either weak to poison or strong vs fire.

For instance, in most typical situations when dealing with iced-based mobs, which are simply weak to fire, fire arrow wins out in a landslide. The only mob I am aware of that is both weak to fire and poison is Extra D. But even then, fire arrow is faster.

Another common situation that comes up is mobs being neutral to both elements. Once again, fire arrow usually wins out simply because it's faster. There's only a small handful of mobs which are actually weak to poison but not fire. Off the top of my head is Rexton.

When mobs are resistant to fire, this is usually the time for this skill to "shine"... but even then, the damage isn't really that impressive. Gobi Houses and some bosses like Alishar or Lord Pirate are strong vs all elemental attacks. In that case, fire arrow still has the same power as composition, only it's faster still. But on that subject, magic claw has 80 base power. It's just disappointing seeing a 3rd job skill still being outdamaged by a 1st job skill.

I realize f/p composition poisons, and i/l composition freezes, but still it seems that the obvious primary use of these skills is for damage. If we just wanted to freeze things we could cold beam or ice strike, and if we just wanted to poison things, we could poison breath or mist.

So my proposition is this: if elemental wands actually worked properly, one half of the skill's damage would receive a 25% boost, and the other half would receive a 10% boost. This means a total bonus of 17.5% increased damage.

What we can do as a fix to this issue where the elemental wands are not working is increase the power of these skills by that percentage. When maxed the f/p version has 176 power, and the i/l version has 164 power.

By increasing the power of these skills, they can actually be useful for more than just a handful of corner cases which they are now. One good use would be earlier bossing, as these skills tend to at least excel in the single target damage department.

Also: I realize they still aren't the best skills. You might be thinking why am I even bringing anything up if I'm the one that chose to add points to the skill in the first place? Well the thing is, I actually had the same build on a different server. Only there were no ele wands. So in that respect, we didn't have issues with this bug to begin with. Since there were no ele wands there, composition actually had more uses.

When I came to this server, however, I started realizing that the damage I was dealing with composition seemed lower than it should. I was disappointed to find that elemental wands didn't affect these skills at all. And also it meant that the ele wand 2 (the poison one) I had bought just so I could use it to multiply the poison damage in composition was absolutely useless.

TLDR: this topic isn't complaining about how underpowered a skill is or trying to get developers to change the game because of choices I made. This topic is about coping with a bug.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dumbledore

dumbledore Capt. Latanica

Oct 11, 2015
    Male
    Hogwarts
    11:48 AM
    dumbledore
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    When I thought about this suggestion, one possible new problem came up to my mind. If we raise the damage of elemental composition (to say 176), then there will be a new 'problem'. According to how the skill now works, then each element would have 176/2=88 power. For Example: If you face a monster weak to one element, normal to the other element (say fire weak, poison neutral, or vice versa), then the skill has power: 88 x 1.5 +88= 220 (which could then be even better than paralyze (210)). I think that there are a lot of neutral to one element/weak to other element monsters, so with a power of 176 the skill would be too overpowered.
    Another thing is that, suppose there`s a 3rd job mage f/P (i/l) without ewand (which can be the case), then this skill gets buffed even tho he/she doesnt have an ewand.

My guess is that Neckson intentionally left elemental composition not working with elemental wand`s. Since, if it should work, then with the same example mentioned above, the skill will have a power of either 75 x 1.25 x 1.5 +75 x 1.1 x 1=223.125 (f.e. fire weak,poison neutral with fire-ewand), or 75 x 1.1 x 1.5 +75x 1.25 x 1 = 217.5 (f.e. fire weak, poison neutral with poison-ewand). So basically this skill will have too much power when it works with ewands.

So if we want to add power to elemental composition (which is actually a good idea), we should watch out with the amount of power we add to it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    It's not better than paralyze if you're using an elemental wand. Remember that the wands have absolutely zero effect on composition? And we aren't even counting when a mob is actually weak to poison...

88 x 1.5 + 88 = 220
    210 x 1.25 = 262.5

I agree that IF a mage doesn't happen to have an ele wand, this skill does seem to have quite a "buff" compared to other skills. But if anything, perhaps that's just a slight boon to help balance out all the 3rd job skills. I think most people still wouldn't bother putting points in this skill. Sad as that is. I mentioned composition would give mages some better single target dps, but most players who play mages don't boss anyway.

4. dumbledore

dumbledore Capt. Latanica

Oct 11, 2015
    Male
    Hogwarts
    dumbledore
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    You are indeed correct, paralyze +ewand is still better. But then again, the composition gets too powerfull in case when mages don`t have an ewand. Adding power to composition seems usefull, and will help when bossing. I think raising the compo`s power to the amount you have mentioned will be a good idea, but it should only count for mages using the ewand. I don`t know if this is possible to implement tho.

5. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    You always see this argument on private servers and I think it is a bit flawed. There are some bugs which should be kept in intentionally to not change the game too much from the original v62 gameplay. Changing skill damages or similiar is going a bit too far, also because these changes usually cause a whole lot of other unexpected changes in a 'butterfly-effect' sort of way.

6. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I really cannot see any valid argument at all for keeping a bug in intentionally. Bugs are by definitions .. BUGS. Things that are not working as intended.

If you want to say keep a bug as it is because it's "original v62 gameplay", then speaking of butterfly effects, let's just rebug everything the staff ever fixed too and open up all the old hacker exploits that even GMS was exposed wide-open to. Buffing (which is technically actually "fixing") a skill that was already way underpowered as it is, won't cause any weird side effects. But philosophies that actually contradict common sense will.

7. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    A side effect has already been pointed out in this very same thread: It is not possible to apply the increased damage only when having the elemental wand equipped*. That alone should be enough reason to not apply your "fix".
    Also please refrain from wasting my time by using a straw man ("let's just rebug everything the staff ever fixed too").

*To be 100% accurate, it is possible to do this but only on the server-side. I'm sure that noone wants a hacky fix which would cause the client to not show the increased damage when it actually is increased.

8. OP
    OP
    Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Don't want you guys to forget about this. Since the ele wands are not compatable with composition even though they should be, how about you throw the mages a bone too?

• Like Like x 1