1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Debate] Server time

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Clown, Apr 25, 2016.

Change server time/ boss reset time (interactively)?

1. Yes, good idea.

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No, just keep it as it is.

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    4:13 PM
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    Hello guys,

As most of you (especially higher level players) will know server time is quite a big thing. Especially 11:59pm. At this time all bosses which allow you to only enter a limited amount of times per day get reset.

-Papulatus
    -Zakum
    -Horntail
    -The Boss

This time has been the same since the beginning of the server (or as long as I can remember), excluding perhaps time changes like summer and winter time.
    When you play around this time you could argue you have an advantage since to do 4 runs you only have to organise once (this means gathering players, travelling etc), instead of twice (The boss 2 vs 1), since you can do 2 before reset and 2 right after.

I wonder if it is possible/prefered to change for example the server time by -2 hours every month so every timezone has an equal benifit from server reset (over an year).

*The poll is added just to give an indication if people agree with me that the current situation could be improved. The way it should be improved if voted mostly yes could be argued about later.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    11:13 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    It will create confusion for runs such as horntail. If there is a run close to a change, some people might miss it thinking the server time was still the one before the change.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:13 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Everyone is already treated absolutely equally, as this time never changes. Maybe it happens at 4 am your time, maybe it's 6pm, it doesn't matter because the only thing that does matter is how easy it is for people around the world to get online at the same time and do something collectively.

A timer that resets a counter at an arbitrary time does not make participating in or organizing runs more difficult. It is confusing practices like the one suggested that would.

4. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    True to an extent, but as OP mentioned you can benefit from the timer resetting to do twice as many boss runs without having to organise another run since you're already there.

+1 from me

• Like Like x 1
  5. Martin

Martin Selkie Jr.

May 6, 2015
    Retired legendary player
    Although the idea to make it fair for every time zone seems good, i think it would cause too much confusion and as mentioned above will make organizing boss runs a tad more complicated, so no from me

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Ok, I missed that part. But eh... that's a lot of running we are talking about, and it's hard to imagine a large group that wants to sit through all that.

I'm just gonna have to say deal with it. Any other solution, even including personal 24 hour timers for everyone is way too messy.

7. OP
    OP
    Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    I understand it might cause confusion, I personally think that the duration over which the timer gets changed (my idea was a month), influences this confusion quite a lot though. It stays constant for almost 4 weeks, limiting the confusion in my opinion. Also when you change it every month I think I personally would be able to get used to it quite quickly.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    Mano time should be chanced :D

9. Candy

Candy Timer

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    10:13 AM
    server time for resets got changed awhile ago , bosses used to reset 24 hours after you first went in , so take this as better than the first one

• Like Like x 1
  10. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    I don't really see a need to change the time, personally. You're not forced to boss right after the reset. I see why it can give certain people advantages, but that's always going to be a thing with having people play from literally every single different timezone in the world.

I like that the reset never changes. You can always count on it happening at 00:00 GMT. Even during daylight savings, it doesn't change.

11. OP
    OP
    Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    Could you possibly elaborate on this? My idea would combat certain people having advantages?

Regarding the thread,
    I think I can conclude most people want to keep it the way it is, possibly because most people play around this time, and thus changing it would only hurt them. I dont see it happening sadly.

12. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    I mean things like the server being more crowded at certain times, so it's harder to find maps then. And then the other way around, it's harder to find parties for PQs when most of the server is sleeping or at school/work, etc.

While your idea would perhaps do that for bosses, it would still just be too confusing.

13. Losj

Losj Capt. Latanica

Apr 28, 2015
    Dark Knight
    Project
    Can we please make the minutes accurate. its 13:37 currently (Holland) server time is 11:43

• Like Like x 5
  14. Martin

Martin Selkie Jr.

May 6, 2015
    Retired legendary player
    +1

15. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    And likewise, I can accuse you of only wanting this change so that it will benefit you and hurt others.

See? Not very fair is it. I don't even boss, really.

16. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    How can you call this suggestion "not very fair"? The only change is that on average everyone will have the same advantage instead of it always being on the same timezone.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I wasn't talking about the suggestion. That is completely out of context.

What I was saying is that making a comment like, "It seems like everyone doesn't want the change because they're benefiting from the status quo," is unfair. It basically discredits everyone's opinion who is against the change because the implication is the only reason they are against the change is for selfish reasons. And this clearly isn't true.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    I said possibly to avoid what you are implying my meaning with this comment was. Sorry if I discredited anyone who voted, I just wanted to put it out there as my final "pro change" argument. You are right judging from the comments that noone had this as their reason for voting in the way they did, though purely looking at myself, if the timeslot was perfect (now its good for vacations/mornings I can sleep long) I would have considered voting selfish.
    See it as a comment regarding myself and not anyone else, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Reading it back it does seem selfish, and I regret choosing the words I did, seeing as it completely destroyed my argument.

19. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Ah I misunderstood sorry. It's unfair to make that assumption but the only counter argument so far is it being confusing so I get why he is looking for other reasons why people voted no.

I don't boss either :yay:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well, maybe I can make a real convincing argument...

The way I see it, it is arguably not that much harder to get a group of players to come together once a day, as opposed to doing a similar activity for twice as long and mentally skipping over a day at that.

In the scenario we have now where a certain group of people might benefit from getting 2 sets of boss runs in a row, it means getting a cohesive group to work together for twice as long. Experience tells me that the longer an activity drags on, the harder it is to maintain all the participants. They have things to do in real life. So it might be more "convenient" for everyone, but it's still that much harder to organize. Also, if some people happen to miss the boss run for that "day", they can't really just participate "tomorrow", considering the previous boss run happened earlier, and the next run is going to be like 30+ hours away. There's also the fact that the time frame everything needs to be done in is very rigid. The first runs need to be done just before the timer resets, and then ideally the next runs come soon after.

Now compare that to the group of players that don't have such an "advantage". They can only do one set of runs a day, but they don't all have to be online for such a long period of time. Their schedule is also more flexible, so with communication, you can move the run time forward and backward some hours, and you can still get an equal number of boss runs done per day. It means having the necessary people to go on the run should be easier. The only real inconveniences are tower scrolls and boat rides, as it takes time to go from training places to boss runs (depending on the boss and where one trains).