1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do many parents hate gaming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by beamcasting, Jun 19, 2016.

1. beamcasting

beamcasting Capt. Latanica

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    New york America
    3:17 AM
    yiko (banned)
    Bishop
    Hogwarts
    Both my mom and my dad hate it when I play games. I am pretty fuckin beast at tennis. I sometimes play it 6 hours a day.I do okay in school with a 92 avg. I never rage in bo3 when I get 360 no scoped headshot and die within a a bullet. And I am always a quiet like a mouse. I often clean the house and dishes and invite friends over for a game of football or soccer and maybe some tennis. We may play ps4 for an hour or 2 and get back to sports for hours... But when I'm exhausted from school or sports I want to game.
    But my parents often tell me to get off and sometimes even try to argue. Why could this be?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joy

Joy Capt. Latanica

Jun 17, 2015
    Female
    Toronto
    Deku
    Shadower
    Demure
    They don't want you to win

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    9:17 AM
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    I think this is because they never experienced gaming themselves. It is very easy to read all the negative things written about games in the news our parents watch, while the positive news isn't always shown on these platforms.
    When I wouldnt have experienced it myself I would also try to keep everyone I love away from gaming, when you read those stories of people gaming for 48 hours straight and dying because they forgot to eat, drink, sleep etc. I think it is all about awareness. Try to show them some positive aspects of gaming and I am sure that if they want the best for you (what is most likely the case) they wouldnt dislike it as much as they currently do.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Healer

Healer Windraider

Apr 26, 2015
    Male
    10:17 AM
    Probably they found out about your fetish...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jackii Kon

Jackii Kon Dark Stone Golem

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Dragon Knight
    :(
    "Staring at a screen for hours can't be good for you! It can't be good for your health! I don't even see how you can enjoy something as pointless as playing video games! It turns you into an anti-social idiot with no future!"

It's always like that with the last generation since it's difficult for people to understand that you enjoy something they didn't really have the chance to experience when they were your age. Unless they're somewhat open-minded human beings, they're gonna stick to their own opinions. For example, I have never really been big on social media, I started using that stuff like maybe 3 years ago and even now I'm not big on that. However, there's TONS of like 10 year olds who are just absorbed in that stuff or in smartphones or whatever and to me that's pretty ridiculous. A 10 year old kid should be running around outside with friends or climbing trees or riding their bike around the neighborhood, not posting about everything they're doing on social media. If you look at it that way, it's very easy to understand your parents POV.
    I've made more friends over the internet than in real life and most of those "weird internet people" as my parents would call them, have been sticking with me over the last 8 years. I've had more fun playing silly, pointless games while mindlessly enjoying myself than studying to get into uni or going to kickboxing so I stay in shape.
    Yet to my parents my hobby isn't something they'd recognize as one. My dearest friends are just weird internet people to them, even though we've met up multiple times.

If you have parents or even grandparents that understand, you're truly blessed.

(and if anyone wonders about the staring at a screen for hours/health stuff: A lot of people work jobs where you basically have to stare at a screen for hours upon hours, but then no one complains since it's a job. A lot of people have hobbies that aren't exactly "bad" for your health but could potentially end up killing you.)

TL;DR Parents and/or older generations don't understand due to the narrow-mindedness of human beings and due to the fact that gaming as a whole didn't really exist back then to the extent it does today.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    1:17 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. OP
    OP
    beamcasting

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    New york America
    yiko (banned)
    Bishop
    Hogwarts
    when i was little remember putting a controller under the blanket and play video games and say "this is tv"

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jean

Jean Wolfspider

May 6, 2016
    Male
    JeanLeaf
    Beginner
    NewLeaf
    are reasons why do many parents hate gaming like people here says but the sad is people don't go outside now a day most kids watched youtube videos or playing mmo games i learn that from watched one of south park episode but remember parents are parents they get worry about what they hear about the news on the internet

• Like Like x 1
  9. Piffy

Piffy Pac Pinky

Feb 23, 2016
    11:17 PM
    God, this is flashing back my childhood. My mum used to beat my brother and I with a cane if we play games without her permission. The second way was she locked the room. (But in the end we managed to find the key.) The third way was she took away CPUs. She used to scream at us and nag a lot. She said that was very annoying. :rolleyes:

But since I left my home, my mum got herself an iPad. Candy Crush and Diamond Blitz were the games she started playing until now. She began to play like how we do gaming. And yes, that was our turn to nag her for stop gaming so much. But until these days, she is still complaining I am gaming too much sometimes. But not as extreme as in past because she understands the game's seductions. The main thing she told me is, she feels gaming too much will make me go beyond too much and screw up my lifestyle, such as my body clock, my meal time etc. The another reason was, she wants me to learn up some other skills like cooking, sewing, knitting etc. (I do cooking when I am back for vacation but she screams at me because sometimes I accidentally mess up her kitchen XD)

Happy parents day <3

• Like Like x 3
  10. Spooky

Spooky Brown Teddy

Mar 27, 2015
    8:17 AM
    You're playing Black Ops 3 on the PS4, they didn't want to raise a casual.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    Fite me rn fam

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kyle

Kyle Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    Male
    2:17 AM
    Paladin
    games are for dweebs

13. OP
    OP
    beamcasting

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    New york America
    yiko (banned)
    Bishop
    Hogwarts
    well maple legends is a game dweeb upload_2016-6-19_21-37-11.png

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  14. Kyle

Kyle Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    Male
    2:17 AM
    Paladin
  15. Lyn00

Lyn00 Capt. Latanica

Sep 4, 2015
    Female
    Taiwan,Taipei
    3:17 PM
    Natto
    Corsair
    Halcyon
    They always complain it affects ur grades and stuff, don't apply to everyone that's for sure..

• Like Like x 2