1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

An error while starting up the game.

Discussion in 'Closed/Resolved' started by Chow, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chow

Chow Selkie Jr.

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    2:43 PM
    Hi,

About a day or two ago I had sort of an BSOD/crash which me and my granddad have found a temporary solution for by replacing and using a VGA cable instead of what I used before. So my screen's not fully used (sidelines are cut off a bit because I believe VGA can only support 800x600(640)] if that's correct.

Now however I just started going around and fixing a few things on the pc, cleaning it up etc and when I tried to run MapleLegends it doesn't seem to work anymore suddenly. I guess it might be a problem regarding the resolution..? not entirely sure myself that's why I wanted to ask this over here.
    I'm on Windows Vista by the way~

Picture of the error;
    maplelegends error 1.jpg
    I'm not sure if the error is common, I don't believe it is because I have not found a thread about it so far (might've overlooked one but hey, everyone can miss out on something right..?)
    Thanks for the support in advance~

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    Are you running a virtual machine if I may ask?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    It is actually very common. Especially for people who use a TV monitor as a PC monitor. And yeah, it's most likely a resolution issue, like you said.

Most solutions are listed in this thread: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?posts/84252/

- Using any compatability mode (preferably Windows 98/ME)
    - Lauching it multiple times
    - Lauching setup.exe
    - Reinstalling the game
    - Minimizing all your windows and then starting the client couple times
    - Updating your graphics driver
    - Changing monitor resolution

If none of these work then you need to look yourself in your graphic drivers setting and find something that works.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Chow

Chow Selkie Jr.

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    Not sure what you mean exactly by virtual machine honestly, I'm using a normal monitor that has always been used for this computer. if that's what you're asking..? Sorry, I have some knowledge about computers but it's very limited though.
    I'm using a normal monitor that has always been used for this computer. (Not a TV monitor), I've tried most of your possible solutions, some already before I read these and none of which seem to get me further than I have gotten myself sadly. As far as I know updating can't be done any further either and changing monitor resolution doesn't have much effect from what I understood from my granddad because of VGA it's practically limited to the 800x600 (or 640) can't remember the exact 6.. number.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Poofcakes

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    If you don't know what a virtual machine is then you're not using a virtual machine, haha. So don't worry about that.

Have you tried running the client in 640 x 480 resolution mode?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Chow

Chow Selkie Jr.

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    upload_2016-8-6_23-59-46.png
    Sorry it's in dutch, I've checked everything that needed to be. Sadly still get the same error pop-up, the only difference now is that it switches to that resolution for a split second after the black screen obviously. But once I get the error and press ok my screen goes back to normal. :/

7. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    ✪Circus✪
    Poof is dutch so she will understand :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Poofcakes

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    What happens when you run setup.exe in your MapleLegends folder?

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Chow

Chow Selkie Jr.

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    upload_2016-8-7_0-48-55.png
    When I press Ja(yes) nothing happens, when I press no I get the 10 second screen of a maple screen moving very fast with a message telling me to press Alt+H (Can't read it very well because the message moves very fast across the screen for some odd reason, not sure if that's normal. Once I've done that it tells me the following;
    upload_2016-8-7_0-51-0.png
    But when I start up maple I still have the same error~

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Can you try turn off compatibility mode and see if its still an issue? But seeing you have this error on Windows Vista and not 8+ (where its known to happen) I am pretty sure you actually have problems running the game for some reason... I guess because of the changes you've made

• Like Like x 2
  11. OP
    OP
    Chow

Chow Selkie Jr.

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    Oh my. of all the things we've tried to fix my game, this simple one seems to actually work for some reason. I'll test it out for today, because it might not work all the time, not sure.
    (right now I'm at the login page of ML).

Thank you Kim, Poof 'n Tim for helping me out :) ~

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Not sure why your compatibility was even 98/me to begin with - this should only be applied on Windows 8+ since it fixes parameter is incorrect (a different error).

Glad you got it working <3

• Like Like x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    Chow

Chow Selkie Jr.

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    Oh, my compatibility has always been on "Windows XP (Service pack 2)" but because it was mentioned in being one of the possible solutions I thought I'd just try out and see what would happen :).
    Thank you~!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I've just noticed that reason you were on 98/me is because it was suggested - I thought you or the installer has done this, which is why I was confused.

My post wasn't mean to reflect anyone giving bad suggestions and apolize if it did anyway. It was still early in morning which is usually the time when I make such silly mistakes.

I'll move this now to solved since it has been.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.