1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Add a Mano Spawn every 2~ hours on Maple Island.

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Qwyl, Jun 12, 2017.

Would you support a Mano spawn on Maple Island?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Other (Explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    6:43 PM
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    That's true but I think the suggestion is more about killing it rather than grinding for exp or loot. Could it be considered to add mano that drops no items and gives no exp? I really think this addition is just only for the fun of killing it or maybe even get the etc. drop as a trohpy idk...

2. IoIzor

IoIzor Capt. Latanica

Jun 8, 2015
    1:43 AM
    Islander
    Nty

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Qwyl

Qwyl King Slime

May 27, 2017
    Male
    5:43 PM
    Land
    Islander
    Amherst
    This has been a very controversial subject but it's garnered far more support than resistance. Those most vocal against the idea also happen to not have islanders of their own. I would appreciate a staff response to this one way or another. I know two staff members who are against the idea, but there are also islanders in the top 5 who've voiced their support for this. Interesting divide, but it's also interesting to see the amount of support for it. At the end of the day the staff don't actually need to listen to the playerbase so it's up to them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    7:43 PM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    As an islander I've always been against an Island boss. I feel like it really takes away from what being an islander means when you start adding other mobs that were never on maple island in any version. From my experiences with this server as well as others is there have been events where event mobs have been added to the island for a limited time. These mobs just end up killing new players because they have too much hp/do too much dmg which results in them being put in "less common maps" (even though they still kill new players). I'm not sure if some new islanders realize this also but the anniversary event for the past two years has consisted in the Legends community as a whole (which islanders were part of) defeating a cake boss for rewards which may be enough for some people and In my eyes if a boss were to be added it would taint maple island for me.

On a side note I personally believe a boss would be more negative to new players than positive for thew few active islanders.

(I have no control over if this happens or not & this is just by viewpoint as a islander)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. MXLsStar

MXLsStar Slime

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    MXLblight
    Cleric
    goedVerhaal
    While the islanders could use some more content on maple island, i dont think that they should change it. It's true that most players will never see Mano on maple island (because the islanders will be camping him) it still changes the vanilla beginner experience. I'm not an islander myself for the reason that I want to do bosses and pq's.

I agree that islands could use something more on there. but i dont think mano is the awnser you seek.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    I support this. I think if possible that it would be nice to increase the hp of mano and there for also the rewards so there are multiple people needed to kill mano : ) (Like a Mano bossrun)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    lets make a cool feature for islanders where they get to kill stronger enemies. also, to kill these stronger enemies, we should give them cool skills/buffs...
    wait... thats called leaving the island & getting a job (like squidward).

• Like Like x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    You chose to get locked up in 6 maps and get restricted.
    Why do you wanna add a non-island content?

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. Oahu

Oahu Mixed Golem

Mar 4, 2017
    Male
    Maple Island
    4:43 PM
    Oahu
    Islander
    Southperry
    Another islander viewpoint incoming:

Islanding, to me, has always been a test of willpower. How long can you grind on a restricted piece of floating sky rock with the same 2 enemies without going absolutely fucking insane? We starve and complain about the lack of content, but know deep down that this was the path we chose. Adding extra monsters/drops into the islanding mix pisses off too many people, even mainlanders for some reason. From what I've gathered, there is an interest in adding Mano, but the main stipulation being his large pool of drops.

Here is what I suggest, regarding either outcome:

If a special "Island Mano" is added, restrict his drops so that he only drops snail shells and his Rainbow Shell (untradeable, one time use, temporary cosmetic change) and nothing else. Increase his HP pool to make it a longer fight, and make it so that he gives the same amount of experience as an Orange Mushroom/Pig, the strongest monsters on the island.

If a special "Island Mano" is not added, oh well.

TL;DR: meh

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Meredyth

Meredyth Mano

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    Berlin
    Meredyth
    Assassin
    OnDrugs
    I agree with this sentiment, hence I wouldn't add Mano.

Also (and, in my view, more importantly): Maple Island is not primarily for Islanders but for new players. And many people (myself included) are actually not trying to get off Maple Island as soon as possible but rather visiting each map it has to offer, savouring every bit of it. Think about it: The main reason why people join this server is nostalgia. And boy, was I happy to have this uncanny familiar feeling when popping up on Maple Island after all these years again. I took my time, merrily exploring it while hitting snails (and rejoicing upon every hit needed less for killing a snail while climbing up the levelling ladder). And I can tell you: Stumbling upon something wholly out-of-place like a boss or some other mob I clearly wouldn't expect to appear on Maple Island would have thrown me out of this experience. Saying that most new players wouldn't even visit the specific sub-map in which Mano would appear is an invalid argument -- it's especially the new players who like to explore Maple Island deeply and who want to experience nostalgia (which would be disturbed by something like this). Your second or third character might not care as much about spending time on Maple Island. But first ones do, and these very first magic moments before leaving for grand ol' Victoria are too precious and tone-setting for making the major change that the addition of Mano would indeed be.
    Please leave Maple Island as it is -- the "huh, that's not how I remember it" experience can wait until after the initial nostalgia newbie phase. And remember, the very idea of islanding hinges on the conscious rejection of refreshing content, as Oahu points out, not on demanding it.

Edit: Sorry, I need to write shorter posts.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    4:43 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I think a boss on Maple Island could be really cool, but only if it didn't give OP drops/EXP. Making an islander is always about the challenge. I remember seeing someone who was like like 40 or something on GMS Maple Island and thinking, "Wow, that it's awesome! That must've taken months!" Giving islanders loads of new gear/scrolls or just lots of EXP ruins that. However, a boss could be something that brings the community together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Qwyl

Qwyl King Slime

May 27, 2017
    Male
    Land
    Islander
    Amherst
    I don't usually bump posts but it's been a month.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    We have currently no plans to make major changes to island.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    8:43 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    Hilarious thread with a hilarious suggestion, thanks for the laugh OnionPerfect

• Disagree x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
  15. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    There's an NPC in Southperry that will take you to Lith Harbor. A few maps to the right you can find Mano and kill it.

• Like x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Like this is some democracy. The server would be completely trashed if all we did was go along with whatever people asked for by the slimmest margin of majorities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    The priority for me for Island have always been to stay close to authentic, which is also why I am against adding custom hair/faces on island. There's a server above us that already has that, so there's really no point to have 2 identical islands. However, I also just don't like it because it looks out of place.

The priority for me have always being to stay authentic, which means that people that want island to stay same have a priority over those that don't, since that's what this server is about. This is also why the boat ride skip got cancelled.

However, I am always open for temp things. Maybe some sort of event, a one time period of Mano (with no unique drops). That way if there's ever such thing as a Mano on island it will be unique, and not something permanent added which get boring after 3 times of killing it. Furthermore, when its temp. it also doesn't permanently affect those that are not related to island at all and call the server out for being custom.

I am not going give the 'If you want more content get off island' but I do give you my view why I don't want MapleLegends' island to get too custom when it comes to permanent additions. The minigame NPC is already pretty special for example, which lets islanders to omok on island.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    What issue? All the poll does is help gauge how much of the community is for or against a certain change. Just because some random person makes a suggestion and slaps a poll on it, that doesn't mean anything is going to come of it.

Even when staff members make a poll, it's explicitly stated that the results will not automatically affect server changes by mob rule.

19. NoJobNoRules

NoJobNoRules Orange Mushroom

Sep 1, 2017
    6:43 PM
    NoJobNoRules
    Islander
    Amherst
    Apologies for the bump, but I wanted to chime in on this topic. I had an islander in gMS years ago, and due to nostalgia, decided I would look and see if any servers had any islander communities. I found this one and joined because of the active islander support, which I appreciate.

One of the things that attracted myself (as well as others, I'm sure) to being an Islander was how it wasn't intentional. It was playing the game in a way that Wizet/Neckson never intended to be a thing. It was fun seeing which events could apply to islanders and what you could get out of it. It wasn't something that was intended, like Roses or Maple Items dropping from monsters on the island and actually being usable. Having content specifically geared towards Islanders is nice, but also kind of 'hand fed', as it were. I personally wouldn't want to see a permanent addition like a Mano spawn, because after a few kills, most Islanders would get bored of it, just like other things. I've been playing for the past week and have barely seen any other Islanders active and playing, despite the current Islander event quest being repeatable to your heart's content. Most are logging on for Maple Tree and then going back to AFK/logging out again.

Not true in the slightest, actually. The Maple Trading System was added in v53, which made every item that could be traded accessible to islanders. Surfboards, Snowboards, Frozen Tunas, etc were all available to your heart's desire. Some players refused to use it, but it was there.

Something I did want to suggest as a possible compromise is adding something to an existing NPC that is only there for Beginners of level 20-30+. If you weren't an Islander, the NPC would just give its regular dialogue and nothing else would seem weird or out of the ordinary. For Islanders, once you reach that higher level (just like the event quest being 30+ for the summer event), you could receive this additional dialogue option. By speaking to the NPC, they would warp you to an unused, 'made for event' type map (I'm sure there's plenty of options - maybe the original starting maps that the 'Leaf Onesies' area replaced are still in the code/accessible). A Mano spawn could be set in that particular map in addition to a NPC to send you back to the original location.

This way, new players don't notice anything different. There's no risk of a new player running into a boss on the island or anything else that shouldn't be there. And for Islanders who would like to see this, they would get to. I mainly wanted to share this suggestion as both a solution to the current idea as well as a suggestion if the staff decide they want to do this for an event in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1