1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on washing advice for new players.

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Drayen, Mar 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Drayen

Drayen Mushmom

Mar 13, 2020
    Male
    coom dungeon
    7:40 AM
    Priest
    UPDATE: I had a long talk with Cak and could properly understand the issue, so I think this post serves no purpose anymore, and my points shouldn't be taken as advice.
    With that said, I will leave it here for those who still want check it out:

I wrote some general guidance in in my guild for new players that just created their first characters, and will probably soon be bombarded with the fatalistic washing tips from older players.

The problem with what I've wrote is that I'm a noob myself. I've never reach 4th job (I want to reach my first 4th without any leeching), and all my knowledge of late game is either from reading other guides here on the forum, or talking to lv.150+ players.
    So I decided to post the things I've said in the BBS for you guys to correct me if I'm clueless on this, so that I don't end up giving misinformation.

Please keep in mind that this is intended for those who have barely reach 2nd job with their first character. This is what I've written:

Do I Need To Wash?

The short answer is:
    Not if you are new to Legends.

The long answer:

It is true that most classes
    need to wash if they want to boss.
    A general rule of thumb is that ranged
    classes need lots of washing while melee classes need little or
    none at all, depending on which bosses do you want to go.

That doesn't mean that you need to stress
    over washing your very first character.
    My personal recommendation is to not
    worry about washing and just play any
    class you want.

Washing a character requires lots of
    fundings or playing several hours with your own bishop, which new players have
    neither.

The META recommendation is for new
    players to have a cleric as their first
    character, because having a bishop will
    serve three main purposes:
    - having Holy Symbol
    - selling leech and getting a lot of money
    - being able to self-leech your own
    characters

Since washing characters require lots of
    INT, as a new player you will most likely
    compensate that by putting most of your AP on INT, which will hurt your damage badly.

Since these characters can't grind on
    themselves, they rely on being leeched.

Having a bishop, you can either leech
    yourself or make enough money by selling
    leech to pay others to leech for you.

If your favorite class is the bishop, then
    congratulations, your natural best option is aligned with the META.

Now, if you don't really like mages/bishops, then I strongly recommend you not to follow the Self-Leech path.

The reason being that this path requires
    you to play with your bishop A LOT.

You will need to bear the time to level a
    character you don't like to the whooping 120s,
    then play with it for more dozens of hours to
    either leech others or yourself.

Seems to me then that the best option for
    new players that don't like the bishop class is simply to play with the class they like
    without worrying about washing and
    bishops.

The reason being that if you level normally without washing to fourth job, you won't be
    bossing with that character, but you will
    probably have by then enough money to
    create a new washing character, buy some mild-tier INT equips,
    and pay someone to leech that bossing character
    for you, which won't take nearly as long to
    reach 4th job as your original character did.

There are a couple of exceptions to
    everything I've said so far.

1 - All mage classes don't need to wash.*

2 - Warriors and Bandits need so little INT
    to wash that you can easily make them as your very first character, starting without any funds, and still
    boss with them like any other warrior or shadower in the endgame.**

*It is normal to MP wash a mage starting
    after lv.100+ because it is comfortable to have more MP (hence saving money on pots), but it is not a necessity at all.

**It's preferable to spearmen to have a
    couple more INT than pages and soldiers. That helps them have an easier early
    4th job.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    3:40 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Both short & long answer: subjective.
    There are melee players who thinks that not-taking HB is a requirement. If you have that in mind, then even for melee it will be pretty expensive.

Agreed

Not true. You can use MP washing to get your targeted goals, and never touched a bishop. The downside is likely u need more resets, but as long you dont level too fast (buy leech) and vote daily, u'll be fine.
    More info here: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ll-every-boss-on-your-ranged-character.39844/

If you go above 150 int, yeah.

Yes, just play the class u want. Being too efficient as a new player burns yourself out too fast, and in turn, demotivates u too quickly.

Its may not be newbie friendly but, if you plan ahead with MP-washing, you can boss on first char range.

Point 2, true for warriors. 17-18k HP with 40-50 base int, and add HB, u should get 30k.
    For bucc and shad, going 50 base int with no gear, probably ~5k for dit, and ~10k for bucc. With HB, u can HT (and NT with careful playing) but against PB, it might not be possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Drayen

Drayen Mushmom

Mar 13, 2020
    Male
    coom dungeon
    7:40 AM
    Priest
    Hi Cak. Thanks for taking your time to reply.

I've heard about that. Everyone is free to pursue their own goals.
    I just wonder, realistically speaking, how likely is it really to not have a DK on your bossing party?
    Won't NLs and BMs still need it anyway?

But this guide from Alyosha requires blood washing, right?
    Doesn't this massively hurts your damage?
    If that's the case, wouldn't that discouraging to new players? Since, you know, it will make them inferior than everyone else of the same class. Especially to NLs, whose damage is such a big deal to them.

Yeah. It's that the BBS character limit kinda sucks, so I couldn't really put everything in the order that I wanted. You can see that I explain near the end that most melees don't really fall into that category.

Agreed. That's why I specified it:
    I didn't mention buccaneers since I have my own brawler and I'm kinda sus with them, since their washing mechanics suck.
    • Their MaxHP doesn't really compensate for the high mp cost in resets.
    • Their MinMP is also high.
    • Their stale AP is horrible, which basically forces you to fresh-only.
    It would take me two entire sections just to try explaining why they are more of "their own kind" and not suitable for new players, so I just ignored them.

BTW, I wonder if it's possible to bold and underline things in the BBS and, in case not, if the mods could maybe add it in further patches.

4. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    3:40 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    For now yes. But there are more mega washers in the making, which makes DK less desirable. There isnt much new player influx too so, as time goes by, mega-washers will be the majority, making HB near obsolete.

Nope, no bloodwashing needed. Just make sure you MP wash as much as possible. You can find a day to convert some MP to HP, to go for watever boss u wish.

Most players won't make a character knowing that there are certain bosses you can't go, there's no telling when u'll change your mind.
    If playing casual, the only class I'll recommend is Hero and Paladin. at least they get 17-18k with light wash 40-50 base int, no gear, which is similar to a semi mega-washed bucc.
    but ofc you're free to choose any path, jus make sure u are well informed.