1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Boss Hunting Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jaramu, May 9, 2017.

1. Jaramu

Jaramu Blue Snail

May 4, 2017
    5:53 PM
    Wimchow
    Brawler
    Nostalgia
    I was recently trying to complete the Quest called "The Desert Bounty" that requires the player to find and defeat Deo, the cactus boss. Deo spawns roughly every hour in the Royal Cactus Desert. After finding the location I waited a long while for the boss to show up someone else (clearly aware of when he would spawn) popped into the channel and killed the boss before I as much as nicked him. This left me pretty sour as I will have to wait another hour for a chance to complete my quest again without someone else sniping it in front of my eyes.

Now, I realize that part of this is on me for not having a character strong enough to kill the boss before the other person, but it really bites to have spent that much time of my day waiting around for the boss to spawn only to have someone else kill it even when I told them I was there for the quest.

I also realize that these bosses drop valuable items that the boss hunters clearly desire to make their own characters stronger, and they too would have to wait long for the boss to spawn.

What I am wondering, is there a community agreement around this practice? Is there a nice way to claim a channel when you are waiting for a boss without getting into a distasteful argument with the person moving channel to channel killing the boss forcing everyone else to wait?

Sincerely, a frustrated Mapler who just wants to finish his quests.

2. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    9:53 AM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    I wouldn't believe you if you were gonna say it before the whole boss chair system thingy.
    But yea we have a lot of boss campers that camps at one channel, kills the boss there as he spawns and swaps channels to kill the other.

Sucks, but that's just how it is, no matter how good our community is, there's always that one or two toxic players.

I could mention something nice that happened yesterday but I'll just tag his name for a like BaboBabo winkmush

Did you get the name of that player tho?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    @mapowner is still around right?

This happened to me aswell before boss chairs were introduced. I'd just treat it like regular ksing. Ask them not to and otherwise report the player.

4. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    1:53 AM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    The @mapowner command dictates who owns the map and has the right to the mobs within in. If you were indeed the map owner when this event occurred than the user did user violated the ToS, however, in order for punishment to be carried out you must submit proof with a screenshot of a player attacking mobs in your map with the @mapowner command clearly displaying your character IGN at the same time.

5. OP
    OP
    Jaramu

Jaramu Blue Snail

May 4, 2017
    Wimchow
    Brawler
    Nostalgia
    I was honestly not aware of there being any procedures around this, which is one of the reasons I made this thread in the first place. I was also unaware that @mapowner was a thing, or what it even does. I thought it was just a respect based system where people acknowledged that others are waiting for the boss. Without any proof I won't be mentioning the name of the player who went around doing this, but another player, Brainless, can testify that the person in question did move around hunting down the boss even after being asked not to.

• Like Like x 1
  6. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    11:53 PM
    Crusader
    I'm not even sure if there's enough time to type the command and wait for the bubble to show up, especially if the other person is able to take out the boss in a couple of hits. Odds are we'll see a few items on the ground, and that's about it.

(By the way... any Mac players out there can advise on how I can take screenshots in fullscreen mode? Naturally I don't have the print screen key on my keyboard, and Apple's default screenshot keyboard shortcuts don't work.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Krauser94

Krauser94 Designer Staff Member Graphics Designer

Nov 6, 2016
    Male
    Krauser94
    Shadower
    Nebula
    it just depends on how the players are. i found myself, checking channels to exterminate one boss and found a guy there, hanging inside the map, when the boss spawned but he was afk. i could had clearly one shot it and go, without him noticing, but i just said hi and good luck, and changed channel (then i started chatting with him about this similar subject XD)

So what i want to say is that i feel sorry you found yourself in that situation, mainly ppl is really nice, so they usually will help you if you tell then that you only need to kill to count for a quest.

Anyway, if you are still in the same situation, let me know here and i will help you camping at one channel until the boss spawns so you can kill it. SlimeGrin (Respect is quite the main issue as you said, thats why its strange for me to hear that, but i see why it happened)

8. Healer

Healer Windraider

Apr 26, 2015
    Male
    6:53 PM
    Rumors has it that Tae Roon doesn't exist at all on MapleLegends MapleF3_Origin

• Like Like x 6
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    You can use the skill macro to combine a skill with @mapowner for easy access.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    Can confirm MapleF3

• Like Like x 2
  11. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    11:53 PM
    Crusader
    Thank you for the tip!

Tae Roon appears only to those who are patient.

12. Hyuga

Hyuga Mr. Anchor

Apr 23, 2015
    Female
    4:53 PM
    Proud leader of Aeon
    Normally when someone cc's into channel and kills the boss they will be doing so for the next 4 chs, you could always try PMing them while they do so. Mapowner rules should apply in this case anyway but like the guys above said, there will always be a few selfish players in the community.

13. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    6:53 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    am..... so yesterday in the meddle of the night i was camping deo and killing him on different channels , there were not any players waiting for him on the map.
    is it a dick move on my part ? and if so y ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. notaki

notaki Mushmom

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Dominican Republic
    11:53 AM
    Johel
    Hermit
    My usual procedure is asking the player if they need the boss for a quest, and tell them when I find a spawn. Usual because I don't always stop for that, so do try to get our names and ask us the favor. When anyone's killing the boss, I just skip channels.

Seems like I'll need to integrate @mapowner into my routine.

15. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    11:53 AM
    Centaur & Chaste
    Sorry you had a bad experience while hunting Deo; there is indeed a lot of competition for the area bosses (I used to hunt them a whole lot!), since their equipment and scroll drops are generally pretty good and worth the time.
    It's generally a unwritten rule to not bother those who are only there to finish their quest/respect them and leave the map. As long as you make sure that you have @mapowner by hitting at least one enemy in the map every now and then, people have no business taking the boss from you.
    Unfortunately some people let greed get the best of them and would rather risk the KSing ban, thinking that if they quickly kill the boss, people won't be able to report them. I'd suggest having your print screen button good to go when you're hunting, so that you can take a screenshot when they kill your boss, then take a screenshot of @mapowner and @time to submit a report here on the forums, and they'll be swiftly dealt with.

Happy hunting!

EDIT: When you realize this thread is from a few months ago, feelsbad.
    STILL RELEVANT FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO HUNT THEM THOUGH ;w;

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    12:53 AM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    You are entitled to your rights to hunt bosses, its just good manners and adhering to the no KS rules to not killsteal a boss kill if there's already an existing player who either waited for or is killing the boss in the map.
    Although you can always ask if they need help assuming they are low level or lacking damage.