1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Participation Incentive

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Yell, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Yell

Yell Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    5:53 PM
    Snail
    I feel as though the forum/cBox should be just as important as each players in-game experience. Obviously not a requirement, but there's a lot to gain from implying the importance of the forums and cBox. Not just for activity on the forums but to bring the community closer to gather. Better to start now than later in my opinion.

Since I joined the server, I have the cBox up 95% of the time. I have met more people through the cBox than I have in-game. While obviously this is because I am an islander, there are always though shy-guys out there who don't go out and search grind parties and such, or even find it hard to get one. My thought here: bring them out of their comfort zone, therefore helping them out. Bring incentive to the forums or even just the cBox.

Specific threads or sub-forums for searching for long-term grinding parties, bossing parties, group calls (ts3, skype, raid call, ventrillo, etc), or member-hosted events like scavenger hunts or guild wars. Incentives on forum like trophies (as @NSFW@NSFW has suggested), avatar size, a forum currency that can be battled for (to buy forum material like the avatars or temporary font/username perks), suggesting a custom emote, or a forum arcade plug-in for top-scores.

While, obviously, the in-game server is important. I feel the forum provides more communication between members here and therefor lead to more interaction in-game. The whole "add me up", "sure I'm up for grinding", "500k sounds good, pm me" thing. Not everyone hangs out in the FM. Not everyone grinds constantly, not every mercs. I feel like having more participation in the forum would branch all of those together.

Okay here's where I can't find a solution. How to make this incentive seem like enough for someone who just simply doesn't like forums, because there are a LOT of people who don't. Just as you have the donor only cs tab, could there be a in-game cash shop currency from community participation? Items like quote rings, friend shirts, and friend rings or anything to do with person to person interaction? Or even just random equip items, maybe newer ones not introduced in v62?

Let me know what you think. I might be over thinking this. I tend to do that. I'm not fantastic at coding, but I'd be willing to help with whatever I can if this is a go-go. I'm also willing to put forth the graphics for banners and emotes and such :3

• Like Like x 3
  2. Charles

Charles Brown Teddy

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Ga
    Not over-thinking, +1. Anything that promotes community interaction is always a good thing!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    We do have a TS3 server.

4. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    I tried connecting to the ts3 server and it said NO :C I was unable to connect.

5. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Oh. I see... I can't connect to it either now.

6. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    NSFW, Chaotic, and I started a Skype group, but I believe we were going to wait for mod approval. They should create it or something imo. But it is made if anyone wants to join until an official one is made. Just add my Skype: MsStuka
    I'll add you to the group if you msg me with your MapleLegends username.

7. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    2:53 PM
    NSFW
    I love mostly everything you wrote except for maybe the forum moneys. I use a bagpipe forum that has that and it just feels like clutter.
    I wanted a forum dice so I could play risk on these forums :(

The thing is, forums need more people to be healthy, while in-game doesn't. Yes, in-game it is really nice to have more people to play with and have more fun, but on forums it is absolutely required to have more people, and the more people it has the healthier it is.
    While I don't think that having more subforums is a good thing -- it will spread the community too thin -- I do feel like there should be some more reminders in-game telling people to post on the forums. Maybe when using the @GM command, there will be something telling players that if they have no response they can post on the forums (actually come to think of it I think that already exists).

Hopefully I'll write some more about this later.

8. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    I suppose it would spread it thin a bit, but I am thinking for more affectiveness long term. The server has only been open for a bit. More people will be joining, and when that happens the community won't be so spread-thin as it will be cluttered. Yes, right now it would spread thin. But in the future I feel it would be beneficial. Even if it's just a thread for Looking to join, post your usernname/level and stuff for everyone. Basically a roster for active looking. And perhaps an activity check to clear it every so often for those who have found their niche.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    Bumping this cause I feel it's important.

Also adding new suggestion here. Please add a 24 hour bump button to forums to reduce bump spam :3. Spanks Juber.

10. Crafty

Crafty Pink Teddy

Jan 18, 2015
    Male
    England
    10:53 PM
    Kube
    Thief
    Dalmascus
    I agree with a lot of things you said, especially the forum incentive of more things to do on the forums and things that will draw more people to it.

Since the release I have noticed a major increase in forum activity, which goes along with people posting threads that already exist and such. But that's not the major problem here, a lot of people dislike forums, simply because...

I also think a dedicated Skype group would be beneficial also, and I'd be more than happy to set that up or set up an alternative, (rooms, chat, etc) with Kimberly 's go ahead of course. That's a main problem with the forum, most people, (new people) come here to sell stuff and report bugs mainly, and there's a certain percentile that stick around and keep the forums active.

(Apologies for any mistakes, on my phone.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    I've already made a skype group. Just PM me your skype ID and I can add you to it.
    Also the skype group is a bad idea IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    It'd be awesome if you could set that up, Crafty ^^. Some people prefer skype over ts3 or vice versa, so perhaps it would be beneficial to take a vote? I prefer TS3, for example, but I know people who won't TOUCH it. The only reason I believe TS3 would be more beneficial is because of the channels that can be separated appropriately and keep the problem of having 40 people in a single Skype chat. Shy people (myself included) wouldn't get a word out for fear of interrupting.

Separated channels for party quest queues, bossing parties, or even guild chats.

I think the community participation thing could also tie into this for allowing custom channels to be earned for VIP odonors

Secondly with TS3, the mods would have more power over who stays and who leaves, or how LONG they leave.

Secondly on why I believe hosting skype is a lesser option is because of the personal ties that come with it. Some people only add family/friends to skype, have their name or profile pics attached and such. Might stray the younger players. There is also a way to back-trace IPs and stuff through skype through calls, which I find uncomfortable.

If someone WANTS you to have their skype, that's one thing, though.

@NSFW@NSFW I also agree. A few things came up that I thought up after-the-fact. It was also made with poor timing and advertisement.

The con to TEAMSPEAK is that the stability of the server is less controllable. It can crash, be crashed, etc.

13. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    With great timing and perfect advertisement, a Skype or TS3 group is a bad idea still.

14. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    How do you mean? :O

15. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    They are cluttered and unnecessary. We don't need two instant messaging systems, we have one on the forums. Also, we have forums. So we don't even need one instant messaging system. No sense having a 3rd party system.

16. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    They wouldn't be used for IM'ing. It's more for voice chat. The reason our skype idea at the time was unsuccessful was because there were 3 people, all of which seemed unwilling to push the call forward.

I can see having one in the future deterring chat in the cBox by a bit, but there will always be new members coming to ask questions and such. That would be more of an experimental issue. I am hoping it wouldn't deter attention from the cBox too much though.

17. Crafty

Crafty Pink Teddy

Jan 18, 2015
    Male
    England
    10:53 PM
    Kube
    Thief
    Dalmascus
    As Yell said, it'd be more used for voice chat than anything, it's easy to write a message, but it's much easier to speak it.

I was more so thinking Teamspeak as well since there's more control over who's where, bans, rooms, etc.

There was a TS3 server before, but I think the guy who made it must've closed it down.

18. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    Teamspeak is the best option.

19. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    I also agree on TS3. I saw the previous one you mentioned, Crafty, but it wouldn't connect. I feel a mod should set it up, preferably an admin/dev. =/.

TS3 can also allow for more community participation rewards :3 there are custom icons you can have by your name in TS3. There can be some for donors, devs, mods, etc, and even some that can be "purchased" with points or whatever to get put by your name. Silly ones like "Legend Addict" or something. Would be fun :3

20. OP
    OP
    Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    Still looking for a forum bump button and more staff opinions ;-;