1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comprehensive Guide to HP/MP Washing on Mages

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Shivering, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    2:11 PM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I decided to make this guide because I found a lot of wrong information both on the forums and in game when it comes to MP washing. This included things like wrong formulas for MP gains and misconceptions like you should start washing at lvl 90.

Formulas:
    MP Gain on Level up: 22-24 + (2*Improving Max MP Increase) + (Total INT/10)
    MP Gain on AP Assignment: 18-20 + (2*Improving Max MP Increase) + (Base INT/10)

HP Gain on Level up: 10-14 HP
    HP Gain on AP Assignment: 6-10 HP (thanks Pippy)

Core Findings:
    Removing a point from mana, via reset, reduces your total MP pool by 30.
    Adding a point into HP, via reset, increases your total HP pool by 6.

1st job advancement: 100-150 MP (random)
    2nd job advancement: 450-500 MP (random)

FAQ
    What's the actual process to wash?
    Upon leveling you dump a fresh ability point into mana. You then remove the point from mana and pump it into INT.

What level should I start MP washing?
    This is dependent on how much NX you have on the account as well as how much time you invest into leveling your character. There is no singular answer to this question. If you level up slowly/have a ton of NX saved up you can start at level 90. For most players, I do not recommend starting until 110. If you are someone who plays 6+ hours a day and have no NX saved up then I would even recommend to not start washing until 120 or even 130 and just eat the higher MP cost at the start. Due to the nature of the formulas listed above, the later you wait to start washing the more you will gain out of each reset and the less total NX you will spend for your wash to 30K because you will have accumulated more base INT just from leveling.

Can you show me an example with some numbers?
    I will do 2 separate examples.

If you are level 94 and you started with 10 INT (15 points distributed across str, luk, and dex), you will have 480 base int. You have just leveled to 95 and now have 5 fresh AP. In order to MP wash you would dump a point into MP and you would receive 18-20 + 20 + 48 = 86-88 MP. Then you will buy an AP reset to remove the point from MP and place it back into INT. The reset will state a high number, but you will only lose 30 MP for doing this. This means you'll receive a net gain of 56-58 MP per AP (~285 MP for 5 points) point at level 95.

2nd example:
    Lvl: 140 (just leveled up from 139, have 5 fresh points)
    Base int: 710 (assume you have 15 points across str, luk, dex)
    MP Gained from Assignment: 18-20 + 20 + 71 = 109-111
    MP lost from Reset: -30
    Total MP Gain per wash = 79-81 MP (~400 MP for 5 points)

What about HP Washing? How do I do that?
    Once you hit about ~29K MP (this is because once you hit 30K MP, you will miss out on level up MP gains) if you are not 200, you can consider HP washing. This requires a lot of NX to see significant HP gains; if you look above for each reset you are only going to be getting 6 HP. I'm going to explain how this works and illustrate just how expensive it can be with a single example below.

Assumptions:
    Lvl: 150 (just leveled up from 149, have 5 fresh points)
    Base int: 760 (assume you have 15 points across str, luk, dex)
    MP @ lvl 149: 29,000
    MP gained from lvl: 24 (could be as low as 22) + 20 + 76 (assume no int gear/MW) = 120 MP
    MP gained from assignment: 18 (could be up to 20) + 20 + 76 = 114 * 5 (5 points to assign) = 570 MP

We are now going to wash all the way back down to 29K MP using resets. We gained 690 total MP from leveling up + 5 points of assignment. This equates to 690/30 = 23 resets to get back to 29K MP. We will move 18 of these points to HP giving us 108 bonus HP and 5 of these points will be moved back to INT (so we don't lose damage).

This will cost us a total of 71.3K NX to do per level up. We will gain 108 HP from doing this.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  2. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    5:11 PM
    iPippy
    I wouldnt say there is *no* reason to fresh HP wash. If you are planning to HP wash later and dont mind having a little bit lower MP for a little bit until you cap MP, you can snag some extra HP by fresh HP washing the AP that you werent planning on MP washing anyways. Fresh HP gain is 6~10 (8 avg), so you get an extra 2 HP for every wash performed fresh for no extra cost. For example, I fresh HP washed my mage from like 55-77 for 110 resets and gain ~220 HP for free without having to spend more NX.

Of course, if you have infinite NX then the points are better spent MP washing from the early levels too, but the cost very quickly adds up.

3. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Very true. I will add that in. and 8 compared to 6 is actually pretty significant even though the number seems small. It's a 33% increase in effectiveness and when you're spending 100k on resets to reset HP that little bit adds up to quite a few extra days of voting.

4. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    4:11 PM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    Shouldn't you be dividing by 30 at the 690 portion, since that's the MP lost per AP Reset? 30 APRs will lose you 900 MP, dipping you below the 29k bar.

If you want to galaxy brain this even further for HP Washing purposes, you can buy 20 1st Job SP Reset points per level. Reset Improving Max MP Increase to 0, which makes each AP Reset only take out 20 MP instead of 30, and then SP Reset the 10 points back. That's an extra 24k per level, but in your example, you go from 18 washes (+108 HP) to 29 (690/20 is 34.5, so rounded down to 34 APRs, 29 of which are used for HP for a +174 boost), but the NX cost goes from 71.3k NX to 139.4k NX (almost double) to milk that extra amount. Ignore this: it doesn't work.

5. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I dont think this works here. I tested it out on a random char a while back and it still took out 30 MP.

6. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    4:11 PM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    Huh. I think the investment is quite steep to really make it viable anyway, but it's still a potential option invalidated. Easiest way to confirm would be to try and MP Wash a fresh Mage at Level 9 or something. That's interesting though, since if it did -30 regardless of Improving Max MP Increase's Skill Level, you could just lose more than you gain at those low levels.

The way I'd understand it to work is that the Skill Description is +X MP for fresh AP, where X is the Skill Level, and the base MP lost is 20 + X per AP Reset used to move AP from MP elsewhere. But I guess there'd be no reason to just not make the subtraction a universal -30, since self-sabotaging your MP pool as a Mage is certainly an interesting choice.

7. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Yup, thanks for catching that math error! Like Pippy said, it's been tested here before and it doesn't work. You will lose 30 MP regardless of whether you have 10 points in Max MP Increase unfortunately.

8. fireelement1

fireelement1 Orange Mushroom

Jul 8, 2020
    Male
    Bishop
    Loving the guide man! I appreciate it! It will probably help later on in the game, I'm relaxing right now haha!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. INSAINRUSSIA

INSAINRUSSIA Horny Mushroom

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    Is hp washing gonna ever make a mage viable for bossimg? How much hp would be needed to make an archmage that kills horntail or pinkbeam or zakum?

10. Randuwu

Randuwu Slime

Feb 9, 2021
    Male
    Jollibae
    Bishop
    Katsu
    In my bossing experience, PB and Zak does not require a specific HP threshold.

To run a comfortable 6-man HT, the recommended threshold would be around 5.7-6k HP (I'd just say aim for 6k). This would ensure that you'll always survive a "perfect frame" (this happens when the mid-head and/or left arm mass dispels the map and you instantly get hit from the left head's attack without having magic guard).

Washing is also optional so do whatever makes you happy kek

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1