1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

DrK default zerk animation

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TerribleFool, Feb 20, 2023.

1. TerribleFool

TerribleFool Mano

Sep 22, 2022
    Male
    9:24 AM
    TerribleFool
    Night Lord
    Chroma
    First and foremost I would like to thank the staff for this massive update! It seems very well thought out and over-all I am a massive fan.

My ONE complaint is the change of the default zerk animation. I understand the need to add a new animation for the active zerk buff, but I am confused as to why the default passive animation must be changed. I think that the default passive animation and the new active animation can co-exist peacefully. I have seen staff express their desire to make changes while maintaining the integrity of the old-school maplestory experience, and I think changing an animation that has always been a part of the DrK identity is not the best way to accomplish that goal.

Is there a reason that the animation needs to be changed that I am simply ignorant of? If not, I suggest reverting passive zerk back to its original animation.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    6:24 PM
    Moderator Post
    The change in the original animation was meant as a way to not make the red horns of the new active portion feel "anticlimatic"; with less visual strength, what was supposed to be the highest moment of the fight looked almost like a downgrade. Adding the bottom aura to the red horns looked too cluttered, due to how faster the flashing is.

This seemed like the cleanest solution, to keep the most iconic visual cues while also maintaining an order of relevance.

We're open for suggestions from the community on how to change that though, should other ways be preferred!

3. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    12:24 PM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    I like the old animation better, its cooler.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    TerribleFool

TerribleFool Mano

Sep 22, 2022
    Male
    TerribleFool
    Night Lord
    Chroma
    I can totally understand that thought process. However, in my opinion the animation feels like a downgrade either way.

My favorite suggestion would be to keep the default zerk animation, and simply change its color to represent the active buff. Much like how GMS used to change the colors of DrK skills at different level thresholds. Zerk could be the only skill that changes color, or you could have the other dragon skills also change color for better visual representation.

maplelegendscolors.png

My second suggestion would be to keep the default zerk animation, but when the buff gets activated, the new animation takes over for 30 seconds. This suggestion does not address your concern of the activation feeling anti-climactic, which is another reason I prefer my first suggestion. Plus, purple crusher is sexy.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Big fan of recoloring the animations to indicate customized effects. Hoping this also gets applied to Hero class combo orbs (gimme dark energy).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    6:24 PM
    Moderator Post
    Skill effect recoloring may come at a later date, but as a first thing, would this effect feel better?

Basically, the old passive Berserk is back; the active Berserk is composed by a passive Berserk effect (red) + an extra red horns flashing. The frequency of the aura is the same both in the active and in the passive.

• Great Work Great Work x 18
  7. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    upload_2023-2-21_9-59-27.png
    Looks great to me

8. OP
    OP
    TerribleFool

TerribleFool Mano

Sep 22, 2022
    Male
    TerribleFool
    Night Lord
    Chroma
    that looks really clean and is much much better than the current implementation in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MissEri

MissEri Blue Snail

Sep 4, 2022
    MsFortune
    Corsair, Dark Knight
    Honor
    Just wanted to shout-out to the staff for the great rework on Dark Knight. Not sure if this is an issue with everyone but I find it really hard to take my eyes off the HP bar during active zerk to make sure my pet actually pot correctly. Between this and switching over to look at the skill expiration leaves no time to pay attention to anything else. I think a more pronounce effect indicating expiring zerk would be tremendously helpful. In the mist of the boss fight with everyone spamming skill it’s hard to see any animation on the character. Perhaps a flashing screen warning would work. I’d like to hear any tips you guys have as well!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Crash

Crash Red Snail

Aug 24, 2022
    Male
    I too am in favor of this change, as well as the recent post of asking for some sort of warning indication that it's about to run out. Faster flashing red horns would be the easiest thing to see while other things are going on. Overall though, just the slight aesthetic tweaks would really hit home for this new upgrade. Appreciate the work!