1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Gender Unlock All Event Cosmetics

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Keilianus, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Keilianus

Keilianus Brown Teddy

Jan 7, 2020
    1:16 AM
    One of the best parts about events in ML are the cosmetics that we can get. Sometimes, there are cosmetics that are locked for each gender (denoted by "(Male)" or "(Female)" in the item name) that cannot be worn by characters of the opposite gender on the same account. I would like to propose removing this restriction from event cosmetic items, if possible, for two reasons:

1. ML has made an effort to be more inclusive beyond the gender binary, which has culminated in recent changes such as providing an "other" option for account gender upon initial login. However, that change has no functional change in the game and how it plays. As Kimmy wrote, "inclusivity is definitely not gonna hurt," and I do believe that there should be some reflection of that in game as well. ML has already become more inclusive by adding same sex marriage. Degendering the cosmetics would give those who fall outside the gender binary more options for cosmetics and overall be a more inclusive experience.

2. There have been event cosmetics in the past that are "gendered" by have not been locked in game. The Summer Breeze (M) and (F) outfits from last year's summer event come to mind. I know there are also some outfits that aren't gender locked, but are coded for M or F, such as the Well-Deserved Vacation Outfit overall from Christmas event last year. By coded, I mean that the overall with pants was redeemable by male characters, but the overall with a skirt was redeemable by female characters. Both of the aforementioned sets could be worn by either gender. Therefore, there's already precedent for making outfits universal and not locked to one gender.

I know that generally, how cosmetics are restricted have been dependent on whether it says "(Male)" or "(Female)" in the item name. However, I'm wondering if there's a way to remove those restrictions, as I think it'd be better for the game overall, both from an inclusivity standpoint and from a creativity standpoint in terms of outfits. The future discussions on this could be whether CS items and even hair and face should be degendered, but that is not what I want to look at here. Instead, I think a good start is to look at event cosmetics, since cosmetics are what many of the player base look forward to with each event.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    I'm not read up on the subject but if it was just a matter of arbitarily changing the 0/1 to a 2, it would be done, but the jank way that items are implemented in this game isn't so kind. Rather it's like a library of hard coded gender divided tables, which items go into? And there's limited slots, which is why they don't just library dump from GMS into ML. I don't know how it works exactly I've never tried editing the files, but suffice to say the staff have had the suggestion many times and many of the staff are in favor of it, but it's just in some way prohibitively time consuming or difficult to work on for what it is. Still, it may come eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    It's understandable if there's no easy fix to 'unlock' gender locked nx, but there should be no reason to restrict exchanging points for NX sets that are not gender locked. Why force players to create/farm on an opposite gender character on the same account? Just create 2 options, (M) and (F), instead of locking it to one option based on gender.

4. OP
    OP
    Keilianus

Keilianus Brown Teddy

Jan 7, 2020
    I completely agree; I know that there are a lot of hard-coded items in the game, which is why I emphasized if possible. We've come a long way with the coding too though, so I'm cautiously optimistic that this may be something that can be implemented in the future, even if it's further down the line.

5. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    7:16 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    This was already fully in the works for the current Halloween event!
    Moving to accepted.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1