1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm sad

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Exiled, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Exiled

Exiled Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    3:22 PM
    Exile
    Chief Bandit
    Before I get into this post, I want to state that these opinions are my personal feelings and should not be construed as complaining/whining about the server.

As is pretty obvious, I came here like many others in search of a home in old school maplestory. Before coming here, I had been looking through servers for years, only to find servers with high rates, laden with custom (non-GMS) content, or simply having tons of bugs and missing PQs and things like that. Then I found legends, exactly six months ago today. It had almost everything I wanted in a server - working PQs, GMS-like job advancements, and no content that strayed too far from the original maplestory. In other words, it is the best server I have been on yet. However, even since my first day here, there still have been issues that made me torn about staying. There are so many small things, and a few glaring issues here that others seem not to care about that break the experience for me. I'm going to list them in bullet points and then explain them later for conciseness:

Little things:
    - Mini dungeons
    - 7/11 ad
    - Those weird billboard things everywhere
    - VIP tp rocks
    - too much gacha (debatable however)
    - Instant tp to FM
    - Too much nx gear in general

Big things:
    - Newer maps are redundant, lazily designed:
    -> Mu Lung
    -> Herb Town
    -> Ariant
    ->ToT
    -> Magatia
    -> Singapore
    - 2x exp
    - 3x quest
    - Even on 1x, v62 is muuuuuuch easier than older MS versions
    -> Haunted mansion
    -> 1st job training quests
    -> mp3
    -> himes
    -> ToT
    - 4th job was half-assed by Neckson
    -> Redundant skills
    -> Gimmick skills

To be honest, what i'm saying sounds a bit crazy, and its too much to explain in a short amount of time. The main thing, though, is that there are too many things here that break the immersion for me - newer maps took away from what older maps had to offer, and being able to teleport everywhere with VIP rocks makes the world even less appealing. The 2x exp makes it too easy. I really can't put my finger on what it is that irks me so much, so ill leave it with this: all of these things add up to make an experience that does not feel like the original v62 to me, even though Legends has done the best job so far.

I also feel this way because although people make the argument that v62 was the "golden age" of maplestory, it really was not for me. I'm sure a lot of people here played on and off after ~v83, and eventually quit. They saw v62 as the last "untainted" version of the game. But for me, I was playing on and off during v62 because I really thought it was a step back. In my opinion, v29-v40 is what I consider quintessential Maplestory - when getting 2nd job was an achievement, when Victoria island was relevant, before the drop rate changes, before gachapon went out of control, before 2x exp cards, before pirate. For me v62 and even v55 had too much clutter in them - there were too many maps and they were simply too easy.

I have no idea why I just wrote this, but I felt like it was something i needed to get off of my chest. Once again, I am not complaining or anything, I just wanted to put this out there and discuss it and see what others think. If you want to reply, disagree, flame, or troll, then by all means go for it.

Thanks for reading this poorly organized mess of a post.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:22 PM
    Moderator Post
    Are you from NightSoulMS?

• Like Like x 5
  3. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    4:22 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    That shit was hardcore
    But full of dupers

• Like Like x 1
  4. United

United Skelegon

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    10:22 PM
    United
    Dark Knight
    Demure
    Look my friend somewhere i can see what you are trying to say but remmber one thing...
    Every one who will play the version is 17 years old the very least (avg is 22 i believe)

So there is something about being 22 that pushes you to other places... we all experianced 2nd and 3rd jobs, so to be honest only 4th job left exicted while the other is just a step, we all care about dmg and items and less for lvling and grinding
    this server is not 100% Gms from 7 years ago but it sure is the closest...
    Like everything in life this server isnt perfect but sure is the most fun i had mmorpg in years

5. OP
    OP
    Exiled

Exiled Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Exile
    Chief Bandit
    Well I played there for a bit but then I left for a couple of reasons. It died anyway.

6. Kinky

Kinky Slime

Jun 2, 2015
    Fm
    1:22 PM
    Kinky
    Bishop
    <3 Basic
    What was the point in bringing up nsms?

7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Because it was a server related to his interests (hardcore), so I was curious if he was/played there before.

8. OP
    OP
    Exiled

Exiled Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Exile
    Chief Bandit
    Yeah... I left because it was a ghost town and missing some stuff, though I played there on and off for quite a while. I also tried ClassicMS but that had its issues too. Project beta was... odd. And now i'm here.

9. Admiral

Admiral Mushmom

May 30, 2015
    Then start praying that somebody opens a v27 server

• Like Like x 5
  10. rewyuio

rewyuio Selkie Jr.

Jul 2, 2015
    Male
    2:22 PM
    Wicked,HolySpirit
    Dark Knight
    High,Project
    Actually there are a few players under 17 such as me,Martin,bubbie, versachie,moses,etc.
    Regardless it's not age that matters when it comes to playing this, it's how much you enjoy it. Believe me when i say maple is a drug. Most people come back within a few years to check how it's doing. Ive been playing this since 5 and i still don't have enough,and i can't figure why. Even as i age, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game just like most players here have.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    12:22 PM
    NSFW
    Then make a v40 server. Your dreams don't come true just because you wished for it hard enough.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    Know why NSMS was a ghost town? Because it was hardcore. People get bored if they can't get to 4th job in 3 weeks.

13. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    I'm sad too but not for these reasons. I think the MS you envision sounds interesting but probably too hard for me (can't even reach 4th job here).

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Exiled

Exiled Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Exile
    Chief Bandit
    Yeah, and that's why i'm here at Legends. It was a ghost town for a number of other reasons too, though.
    This is the thing, I feel like the "hardcore" makes people appreciate the game for its face value, instead of suffering from the difficulty. Even though it was near-impossible to even get third job back in the day, it was every level that counted - Each level was a massive achievement. The feeling of advancing a single level was almost that of getting an entire job advancement in v62 on 2x. Sadly, people like more short term (I won't say "instant" because even on 2x and v62 it certainly isn't) gratification in games these days, and few feel the way I do.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    I agree with what you're saying but there's a tradeoff with having hard servers like you're describing, and that is that very few people will play it. Servers with low population are almost not worth playing unless you just really enjoy a small community like that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kiran

Kiran Slime

Sep 6, 2015
    3:22 AM
    Personally have the same reason for playing maplestory private server(and addicted like...).I am not sure about ver 20~40 since I believe when I play maplesea is already ver 0.62 or another ver....but somethings in there already disappear and neither I can't find it in any private server(not at all).

*not search for an argument #2cent #avoiddrama

I appreciate what did the staff('s) did to make a private server,since they really put a lot of effort to make people satisfy (even some of them break their rules to make the game better) and enjoy playing the game(The game can be created either by original patch editing or self coding).Time won't reverse ...and it's gone forever.

I didn't have any comments about your post since i have something similar point of view as you.However, some improvement can be done to make the private server become unique.This will make more people join the game.

-muted-

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  17. napkin

napkin Slime

May 27, 2015
    Male
    Warrior
    The big problem is that maplestory isn't a new game anymore, everyone knows the fastest training spots from 1-200 now and getting 2nd and 3rd job isn't even an achievement like it was back in the day. Back when this game was new there was so much for people to do and explore and people weren't trying to get 4th job in under a month. Any sort of hardcore server just wouldn't last since most people have done all the little things and people just want to get to 4th job and beyond.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    3:22 AM
    You are not alone. I feel the same as you for most of the points you listed, though this opinion is rarely shared by anyone else (as you can see from comments above, and private server player opinions in general).

I played MSEA from v0x to about v4x (I quit some time after Shanghai was released I believe, whenever that was), and I recall the times when getting to 3rd job was a great achievement (Smega spam, in-game parties etc.), when it took me 4 hours to level up to 41 at crows, and my friend spent a good 8 hours levelling his F/P Mage to 91 at who knows where, when not every player had an 8 attack WG (heck my equips were almost all clean), and when party play was good (still good, but -->) and leeching was ineffective or non-existent (before 4th job came around). Not everyone had NX or did gach then, a lot of players sported their class equipments that allowed you to tell what job they were without having to click on them. Clerics still trained at zombies, level 60+ could be seen at tauros, Priests were slogging their asses out with Shining Ray at Squids, and attackers could be found at Grim Phantom Watches.

When I started my private server journey, I was expecting to be launched back to nostalgialand and to re-experience all that I remembered. I didn't get that. Everyone aimed to get fully scrolled equips, some players even wanting to perfect their weapons and chaos everything else. Players were generally a lot stronger than they were back when I was playing (no one could knockback 3rd job instructor, zak runs took 1-2 hours with 3-4 parties). Training was a lot easier, and level achievements began to feel devalued for me. Ghost Ship is especially ridiculous, being good enough for players to stay there for up to 50 levels. FM tele was a thing which changed how players repot and connected with each other (not saying that it's bad, but it definitely leaves a diffeent taste in my mouth).

While I did enjoy myself, after playing 2-3 servers I started to realise that I still did not truly get to re-live the experience I wanted. I had fun, but there were all the small things that were different (a lot of which you have mentioned) that still didn't satisfy me. Eventually I realised that a server that matched what I wanted would never happen for a few reasons:

- Player base will never be as big as in official servers. This makes FM tele more of a "need" to improve social interaction and stop servers from looking like ghost towns.

- Most players in private servers are experienced veterans in some way. No longer are we thrilled by exploration, trying out new training spots, meeting other total newbs who had horrible builds and hardly know a anything about the game. We know what we want from the get go, and playing a character is often just striving for very very high goals we set for ourselves. (In contrast, my level 32 cleric friend in MSEA hardly levelled since he was empowered by his newly acquired level 7 heal and was busy travelling the world and getting himself killed at orbis, clocktower, and wherever he could stick his face into. I too hardly levelled at 30-40 since I was busy changing training maps, stalking pros and visitng dangerous places like showa parking lot (YOLO))

- Player opinions differ. My MSEA experience could be different from any other player who played at later versions. My nostalgia desire stems from my impressions of Maple formed during the era I played, and other players' impressions and idea of the "golden age" are easily different from mine. In fact, I think most people know and are comfortable with the v62 age, hence demand for older versions are close to nothing. For example, I see Maple as something like an infinite game, where there is always room for progression in terms of levels and equipments and the end is never really expected to be reached, because Neckson made levelling past 120 extremely hard, not to mention at 180+, and there were no White Scrolls back then. Godly equips were scrolled by luck and it's not something anyone can get by simply farming for days for White Scrolls. However, in private servers a lot of people aim to "complete the game", i.e. level 200 and perfect equips, something I think Maple originally wasn't designed to be. Maple keeps changing a lot over the years, so there is no "perfect server" in general. Each to his own utopia.

- There are many servers around, and players are spoilt for choice and can pick and choose as they like, hence each server tries to cater somewhat to the community's wants. If you have a server nobody wanted to play on, you'd be a ghost town. This amplifies the effect of player opinions on the features of servers. Little people want to go back to longer levelling hours, so pure 1x rate servers are not too popular. Conpare this to the case where there was only one official server; you couldn't complain much about what the server was like. You either stayed and play, or quit and find another game. Your opinions would hold less weight than they do now. I like to bring up the example of RuneScape, they released an official old school server for players who wished to play there while still maintining the main server, and both are very successful. If only Neckson was smart enough to do that, but it's too bad they only care about money.

Nowadays, instead of constatly worrying about how a server doesn't match my old experiences, I instead compare private servers among each other. They have a lot in common among each other than with GMS, and so I feel that p-servers have their own standards and culture, where FM trade button is norm for example, and every player gets access to constant gacha. While I would definitely fancy trying out a server that can guarantee the old experiences, the sad truth is that it won't happen, so look for what you enjoy in a private server and just have fun in its uniqueness. My advice is to treat each server as a new game design and look out for aspects you like, and not see them as copies of existing games, for which you will be constantly comparing features and will inevitably be disappointed in private servers on the whole. Neckson has killed Maple and it's gone for good, so I hope you'll be able to have fun in Legends for what it is, as like in other server you go to if you ever decide to leave us :) But for the moment if you just look purely at GMS resemblance, I think Legends hit the mark closer than any other server so far.

• Like Like x 12
  19. OP
    OP
    Exiled

Exiled Horny Mushroom

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Exile
    Chief Bandit
    This pretty much sums it up all the way for me, especially the "infinite game" idea. That is the standard I have always held Maplestory to, and it has long since been done away with. Seeing super high levels on every server is disheartening, not because I will be alone as a noob there, but because of the fact that it's so easily accomplished. V62 was around the time that all the old high level players were fast-tracking to 200. Seeing all the gach items, mountains of scrolls, and nx gear on these private servers really doesn't sit well with me - the old maps are nice, but it almost feels like vanilla-BB to me in terms of gameplay.

Not a bad idea, but it's not as easy as it looks. The main problem is getting people on there, and finding the time to do it.

20. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    12:22 PM
    NSFW
    That's why there are no v40 servers. You're far from alone in this thinking, and you're far from alone in being unwilling to do anything about it.