1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Limit the Number of PQable Channels

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Bobbykimchee, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    12:12 AM
    A big part of nostalgia for me -I'm sure I can speak for many others- was the thrill of getting into a PQ. Crowded channels in Eos 101 and Kerning are a HUGE feature that every server does not have. Of course the population can be blamed, but another factor is the amount of channels. By having 8+ channels of PQ in a server with about 50 people (~35 of them not pqing) it really makes it easy to get in.

I feel that PQ runs should be earned through tracking and coordination of party members. After open beta, if more players do play and more channels are made, perhaps this request may be taken into consideration?

What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 2
  2. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    3:12 AM
    NSFW
    I like this idea. I don't know how difficult it is to implement, but I know that gMS has "chaos" channels, meaning you go to a certain channel and instead of fighting Zakum you fight Chaos Zakum (which is just a really 2stronk Zakum). So I know that this can, on some level, be done.
    It's definitely an interesting idea and I think we should at least try it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neko

Neko Wolfspider

Dec 26, 2014
    12:12 PM
    Neko / Inumimi lvl 6x BM
    Bishop
    Project <3
    maybe pq`s could be in ch1 only and bosses in ch2 only or something ?

would be kinda fun ^^

• Like Like x 1
  4. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    6:12 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    We only have 2 channels.... doesn't take much to check both for possible participants.

Oh nevermind, I decided to read the whole post.

I supawrt

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    6:12 PM
    I don't think we would (or should: BF/HH) be increasing number of channels any time soon, if at all.

Even with one PQ channel, I doubt there will be much competition for it while the server population remains relatively low. Maybe after release when everyone is about the same levels then there would be crowded PQs for a bit, but after that as players slowly trickle in I think the real challenge would be to find a PQ party than getting in.

6. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    If the channel count remains at 2, then it will be fine. Regardless if the server population is low or not, having open PQs on every channel take the thrill out of the pqing. Our goal here is to make the server as v62-like as possible, is it not?

Low population at first? Yes probably. But who's to say it won't grow? With a hardworking staff, v62-like gameplay, a stable economy, and a great community, the population will most definitely grow, especially while its fresh out of ob. And in order to keep the integrity of PQ nostalgia, it should be challenging to get in. Maybe a ratio of active players to pqable channels or something.

7. Crafty

Crafty Pink Teddy

Jan 18, 2015
    Male
    England
    11:12 AM
    Kube
    Thief
    Dalmascus
    This, basically with the lack.of current players this wouldn't be able to be implemented. Me and @VonBIT@VonBIT had to ask NSFW to KPQ with us just so we had a party of four. Currently there aren't enough players to implement this, since it's hard enough to make a party, let alone.getting into the PQ. I'm sure it's easy to.implement but I wouldn't agree upon this being added in until there is a larger community to play with.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    6:12 PM
    I would say it is subjective what the thrill of PQs is for each player. You may feel that it is the challenge of getting in, for others it may be just doing the PQ as a party itself, and for the rest it could be the PQ reward. It is part of the nostalgia and it'll be cool to have some clicking competition back outside Lakelis, but that comes naturally with population and with players wanting to PQ but unable to find a spot.

Sure the population will grow but it will take quite a while before we have enough players to naturally have a few parties waiting outside at KC while a bunch of adventurers battle King Slime inside. And quite a few parties are needed; if there's only a couple of waiting parties, it's easy to record all the names of players around, and each party is unlikely to be able to get in twice in a row. If you had a huge crowd at KC, then it'll be hard to notice if a party just came out of PQ and it'll be hard to notice who just entered. It'll be hard to tell who is just hanging out at KC and who is actually waiting for PQ, and overall hard to find names to track. And when the inside party manages to use this lack of knowledge to get into PQ again after leaving, that would give a real sweet sense of victory. But all this comes at very very high player base.

When that happens (or at least, large enough number of players to have to have some competition), we could give this a shot to try and promote PQ fights. There's no harm trying it now but there would probably be little impact on the game.

Alternatively, we can try restricting PQ to certain times of the day (maybe open them for one hour every few hours) so they are more exclusive and with a limited window of opportunity players may bother competing with each other instead of "PQs are full, I'm too lazy to wait, I'll just grind/AFK." However, this strays further from GMS-like.

While server player base is low, all these may come off as trying too hard. We also lack players AFK-ing in Kerning/Henesys thanks to Trade button.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ROFLS

ROFLS Mushmom

Jan 9, 2015
    I completely disagree with this suggestion and the posts here. Back in old-school Maple, people would put up with a wait for PQ just because they didn't know where to grind or didn't have the patience for it. A PQ 'war' means that you could potentially NEVER get into a PQ if there is another party waiting... A slow clicker/connection would mean that some people would have to wait until they are the only party outside anyways. I'm almost positive that this suggestion would kill PQs completely -- no one will even bother with them if they come to a full channel.

Most pserver players seem to be way more focused on grinding and leveling than they were 7+ years ago, and you're never going to have people camping out in 'nostalgic' maps unless you deal with them in a custom way. Sleepywood sauna, for example, was crowded just because would spend a week+ at Ant Tunnel grinding inefficiently in 6 person parties, or because people didn't know how to even get out of the Dungeon, or because they thought it 'saved money' to heal in town. If you want these maps to stay alive, you would have to do something like a custom portal from the FM, which would bring you to a 'fake' copy of the sauna map (leaving would bring you back to FM). I personally would be very excited for a feature like this (FM portals to a 'fake' nostalgic maps like sauna, Maya's house, very low spawn HHG, etc). It really is a tradeoff... but it is important to realize that people play the game very differently than they used to, and a lot of nostalgic moments are lost because of it. And the only way to bring back these nostalgic moments is to implement some sort of custom feature, which disrupts nostalgia in a different way.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:12 PM
    Moderator Post
    I have probably no plans to add more than 2 channels until we have AT LEAST 100 users online at once. There's an other 1x/1x/1x server around that does this perfectly fine for the longest time, so I think as a 2x exp server (and fact some of our maps are bit buffed = more train maps) we can do it fine with 2 for while as well. The problem with some servers is indeed that they have like 6 channels with only 40 users that create like way too many minibosses, etc. With a limited amount of bosses it goes back to team working with each other and killing bosses together rather than killing them all solo (which will be harder as well here in general due to no maple weaps). Some things that already smiled me up the other day is seeing 4 people killing a bigfoot together; I didn't see that for a long while and the server I previously played (Noble) there everyone always solo'd everything because you were very overpowered.

The biggest thing I want bring back in MapleLegends is team play and partying. Not too overpowered equips also help to bring back together helping each other and sharing a map by party play. Furthermore, less channels means people can hit each other more quickly and thus can make friends. Don't expect me to add more than 2 channels anytime soon.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  11. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    3:12 AM
    NSFW
    SMILE ME UP, BABY~~

12. OP
    OP
    Bobbykimchee

Bobbykimchee Pac Pinky

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    That's awesome. That basically fulfills my suggestion, more or less.

If you think about it, PQs can never be killed completely. If everyone simultaneously gives up on PQs, then it will be open, which means some people will go and PQ. And if no one sees a crowd waiting outside, then almost certainly, they would like to try their hand at getting into the PQ. Not everyone gives up when they see a full channel. Though some people would give up, it's still subjective; neither of us can speak for everyone. But you do have to agree, that it is indeed a feature that v62 undeniably had. And we're trying to bring back the v62 experience.

13. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    Moved to rejected, since Kimberly already stated her intention of keeping just 2 channels for a while. We can re-discuss this in the fortunate situation where we need to add additional channels due to too many players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.