1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Luk mage avoidability buff

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nicholas, May 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    1:46 AM
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Hi Everybody,

I posted a month ago with several suggestions on how to buff certain classes. I wanted to make a more focused suggestion thread so that there could be a more cohesive discussion about it in the comments.

It is widely accepted that there is no (feasible) end-game benefit to making a luk mage due to the disproportionate amount of luk required to equip elemental staves compared to the magic attack they provide (it's approximately 4 luk: 1 magic attack, as opposed to the 1:1 you would get for adding int, with no luk scrolls that cannot be supplemented with equal or better int/magic attack scrolls). Many players have suggested increasing the attack on these weapons, but I simply think this is a waste of potential.

Luk mages could and should have their own style. I propose that instead of boosting their magic attack in some way, we increase the avoidability gained from luk for all mages. Let's discuss why this is a good trade-off. Luk mages will have significantly less damage than lukless mages, which means they will have to get much better equips in order to match a lukless mage's damage and will have to wait longer to sell things like 1-hit skele leech. Instead of having high damage in an individual hit, avoidability offers most classes the benefit of higher damage per minute in bossing settings, especially in settings like Horn Tail. In particular, unless a character has 250 avoidability it will be hit by almost all of horn-tails attacks, which has a pronounced effect on damage done by classes like buccaneer and corsair. Buccaneers in particular actually already have a version of this buff, giving them huge amounts of availability for having dex--their secondary stat. Buccanneers that manage to gain more than 250 avoid from having high dex get a huge return in HT just from being able to dodge attacks. The same could be done for luk mages.

My bishop is nearly level 170 and is somewhat funded (z-helm, HTP+egg, msc good luk gear), it has about 170 luk, but only 167 avoidability. A player gains .5 avoidability per luk, but if we increased this to 1 avoidability per luk, my bishop would nearly have approximately 250 avoidability, meaning it would be able to dodge horn tail's attack. As it stands now, the only way I could gain this much avoidability is by scrolling very impressive avoid gear or by adding too much luk to be worth it.

There are two easy criticisms of this buff.

First, lukless mages would also gain avoidability, so this is making mages more OP. This isn't exactly true, because the luk bonus only becomes usefull when you have ALOT of it. Most lukless mages have too little luk from their gear (zak helm/HTP) for this to actually matter, so they gain virtually nothing from it. This means that mages aren't being buffed so much as their bottom-line is being raised while their maximum potential is being kept fairly constant.

Second, players might do what has been done with dex bucc and luk paladin mules. However, this is not exactly feasible, as a mage's mana is tantamount to it's health, and this is directly tied to int held over time. By having a "pure luk" bishop mule, you would have quite little mana (which means you would be too fragile to be useful), and you would have no prospect of doing damage (unlike a luk paladin), or otherwise it would require millions of nx in AP resets to circumvent this. So I don't think we should be too concerned with abuse on this front.

Edit (some mroe thoughts)
    I wanted to additionally post some further thoughts on this topic. Also, I'm really pushing the balance team to make a decision on this topic, because there are likely hundreds of new luk mages who would really like to know whether or not they will be offered anything in the future or if they should give up and reset their luk now.

The only reason the standard luk mage became obsolete is because Neckson wanted to push micro-transactions (gachapon) and introduced the over-powered elemental wands. These weapons are the only reason why the lukless build is the definitive way to build a mage. I do not think that Maple Legends should accept Neckson's decision to monetize game imbalances-- even if the monetization is removed from the equation.

In traditional RPGs, mages generally have two major builds, either they go for raw damage but are more susceptible to dying or they go for a more safe build and have some agility. MapleLegends only supports the former build, while the latter build is what is being proposed in this thread. So this suggestion is consistent with RPG metas in general.

A more concrete reason for why we should offer something for luk mages is that it is clear that many (if not most) players who make mages as one of their early characters do not know that luk mages have such a significant disadvantage. And why should they? It is built into the game that mages should put in luk. Most players seeking a nostalgic experience aren't seeking to (re)experience Neckson's dubious decisions around monetization. If we view this change from a more casual perspective, this buff is actually very subtle. Most players don't focus on this level of the nitty-gritty of game balancing, and probably wouldn't even notice this change. Players who make a luk mage will receive the benefit of this fix without having to pursue an obscure build and without even thinking about it. Moreover, players can still decide later if they want to make a lukless mage.

Perhaps the most important point to this conversation is that I think this fix preserves a true nostalgic experience of Maple Story, as the fix matches player expectation that luk mage is a viable build, protects players from being unwittingly penalized, and will not change the mage meta in the greater context of the game. Old School players remember luk mages, and we loved their iconic look and feel. Just because Neckson created game imbalances to drive sales doesn't mean MapleLegends shouldn't fix them. These small imbalances made my Neckson drove MapleStory away from the nostalgic experience we came here for, and I think luk mages were definitely the first on the chopping block-- even as early as v62.

I've been posting additional arguments as replies to comments if you're interested in reading more details on why this is a viable solution.

Due to the ban against taking mules into several bosses, HT and Zak most notably, it is no longer an issue that a "luk HS mule" could be made by bossers. While it is currently not decided on whether or not using multiple PCs to take mules into bosses is an offense, I imagine the staff will eventually make the right decision to make this an offense, which would completely eliminate this concern.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.