1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 8/8.1/10 Monitor "flicker" in Crimsonwood Keep

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by thsscapi, Dec 7, 2021.

1. thsscapi

thsscapi Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    7:09 AM
    Jizoical, ZackSparrow
    F/P Arch Mage, Corsair
    Lemonade
    Description of the problem:
    When moving around quickly in Crimsonwood Keep, the outside of the active client flickers with a light-green overlay. To be clear, it's not a flicker as in the screen turns on and off. The flicker appears like very fine diagonal light-green lines across the entire screen, excluding the active client.

Some things that I've tested to try to isolate the cause (note: any mention of "screen" refers to my physical monitor screen, not the ML window):
    • This happens only on the HD client:
      • 800x600 and 1024x768 does not have this issue.
    • This happens in very specific locations:
      • Any of the monster maps: Tornado Corridor, The Inferno Chamber, The Wrath of Night, Stormhall
      • The stairs right outside the door to Hall to Inner Sanctum
        • It's all okay if my character is underneath the stairs, or to the right of the stairs right outside the door (this part is most confusing to me).
      • The Courtyard, remainder of Hall of Mastery, and Hall of Inner Sanctum, all do not have this issue.
    • It happens anytime there is significant movement on-screen. I know this because:
      • Walking left and right, nothing happens.
      • Teleporting triggers the flickers.
      • Jumping down the map from a height triggers the flickers.
      • Moving the window around triggers the flickers.
      • I tried all of these on 2 different mage characters.
    • The overlay appears on everything besides the active client.
      • It appears over all other windows behind the currently-active client.
      • It appears over all other MapleLegends clients that are not in-focus.
      • It appears only on my primary monitor.
    • I have had this issue before this patch. I didn't report anything then as I was hoping it's just a one-off.
    • This may be a hardware issue:
      • This happens only on my primary monitor, and not my secondary monitor (though both are using the same GPU).
        • The flickers only ever appear on the primary monitor when >60% of the window is within the primary monitor. The flickers are not triggered when majority of the window is on my secondary monitor.
        • Moving around on the secondary monitor does not trigger any flickers on the primary monitor.
      • The flickers still appear even when my secondary monitor is turned off.
    Extra information:
    • Primary Monitor: MSI Optix MAG27C
    • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060
    • CPU: Intel i7-8700 3.2GHz
    • DirectX: 12
    I realise that this is a very specific issue (only on one monitor, in a few maps, on HD) and possibly not worth trying to fix.

I am sharing this because there seems to be no mention of anything similar, and I'm curious if anyone else has encountered a similar issue. I am slightly worried that the root problem may cause other issues in the future.

Apologies for the wall of text, and thank you very much for reading all of that.