1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Card Booster Packs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Prosper, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Prosper

Prosper Red Snail

Apr 14, 2023
    Male
    2:17 PM
    ShellChuck
    Beginner
    Did you ever wish there was a use to duplicate cards that you keep getting after having collected 5 already?

What if the extra cards could be turned in to buy Monster Card Booster Packs ?

Here are the key points :
    • Add a new untradeable token currency (one for each corresponding color of cards you can get).
    • Increment token balance by 1 when an extra card is picked up (balance could be shown in monster book).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • You can only purchase booster packs with tokens of the same color as the pack.
    • A pack contains 5 random cards of the same color as pack. (The cards would dropped to the floor around player when opened)
    • Optionally, make it so 1 of those cards has a rare chance to be of the next color tier.
    • The new feature can be balanced by carefully setting the booster pack prices.
    • The boss cards would be excluded from the booster packs as those are special trophies in themselves.
    It would still be faster to hunt them down individually but would give a slower alternate route for anyone to progress their collection.

It would potentially attract more players because... who doesn't like opening a booster pack !

[​IMG]

It would also make Monster Book Ring <Tier 1> available for Islanders. And in theory all the other tiers too but would take an astronomical amount of time to achieve since the only way to get next tier color is from 1 rare chance to get 1 next tier card per pack. It could give a reason for higher level Islanders to keep being active by wanting to hunt tirelessly for the next tier up.

Of course these are just my thoughts on the topic. All opinions are welcome :)

Note: Since the Monster Book thing was not in GMS v62 anyways, I figured it would be easier to tweak it without MapleLegends being called out for being non-authentic.

• Creative x 10
    • Like x 3
    • Great Work x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  2. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    12:17 PM
    Corsair
    Opening things is always fun! I could see this being useful for card hunting a more rare monster with lots of more common monsters in the same map. (like Dark Klocks or something idk). It makes duplicates feel less awful to find.

My worry is that people would be able to get a T10 ring eventually while leeching one map. It'd be slow but it would still be an indirect buff to leeching. It's not a big deal in my opinion but I wanna know what other people think.

Maybe you'd need to loot different card types in order to gain a token with a memory of like 3. (say I loot an extra pig, then snail, then slime. None of those cards would give a token unless I were to loot like an Orange Mushroom Card, then Pig would become available and orange mushroom unavailable.) Is this too complicated? It kinda solves a non-issue anyways. It promotes people to farm all over the maple word though.

I like Islanders getting new things to do. The grind for them to get higher book ring tiers is fitting to the Islander experience imo. Why do Islanders get Rino if they can't even get Tier 1 in the first place?

3. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    11:17 AM
    cool idea. def one worth developing further in implementation

4. Nergal

Nergal Red Snail

Mar 26, 2023
    Male
    NergaI
    Chief Bandit
    Scarlet
    I upvote this idea lol.

5. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    8:17 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I like the creativity of the idea but I don't think cards should be rewarded through a system like this. The monsterbook has already been made a lot easier to achieve Tier 10 with the addition of a lot of mobs/bosses.

If the system would be in place as described by you I could potentially just farm the very easy sets and then park a mage at something like Pinboom to farm these "booster packs" rather quick.

They do not currently have a Rino on Maple Island

• Like Like x 1
  6. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    1:17 PM
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    Very cool idea and sounds like a lot of fun! But, the balancing of the system could be tricky but I think it is achievable. Like needing a lot of tokens for only a booster with few cards inside. The last thing that we want is people just sitting in 1 map to complete the full color set. Maybe even make it so that the booster cards can only get you to 2/5 or 3/5 of a set so that to finish them you still have to go to those mobs and grind the last cards. It may be too convoluted, but could do the trick.

Something that I enjoyed a lot from getting a T10 ring was exploring the whole maple world. I think that is also a kind of side-goal of the whole thing. People exploring and “making use” of maps that the devs and legends staff put effort in inserting them in the game.

7. PlaceHolder

PlaceHolder Mushmom

Jul 28, 2017
    Male
    GiantDad
    Warrior
    Some cards are hilariously easy to find, such as Snails (1), Sophilia Dolls (50), and Trixters (23/28). A change in drop rate or something would be needed, otherwise, people would fill pages just farming those spots forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Nergal

Nergal Red Snail

Mar 26, 2023
    Male
    NergaI
    Chief Bandit
    Scarlet
    Its actually pretty simple to fix, just make red cards drop red currency which you can only exchange for red booster packs, same for all colors and boosters don't drop cards from other colors, its taking the idea and making it work with the current system, additionally all cards have a set drop rate, make it the same for the cards in booster: if you farm 500 sophillia doll cards because those have a higher drop rate than most cards in that color tier, you might get sophillia's cards too in the booster, pretty simple.

9. OP
    OP
    Prosper

Prosper Red Snail

Apr 14, 2023
    Male
    2:17 PM
    ShellChuck
    Beginner
    Of course none of us want it to be possible to cheese your way to better rings. The main goal here is to give value to otherwise worthless extra card drops.

The suggestion as it is now offers 2 ways of balancing this:
    • Setting a higher token price for packs
    • Setting a lower % chance to get 1 rare card from the next tier
    After reading everyone's replies, a few more ways to balance came to mind.

Facts about cards

Red - 13
    Orange - 58
    Lime - 91
    Green - 75
    Cyan - 53
    Blue - 34
    Purple - 36
    Black - 32
    Yellow - 58

Total available : 450
    Total needed for tier 10 ring : 300

So the earliest possible point to get each ring if all cards are collected is as follow :

Red - tier 0
    Orange - tier 1,2
    Lime - tier 3,4,5
    Green - tier 6,7
    Cyan - tier 8,9
    Blue+ - tier 10

These facts outline how necessary it is to polish this idea for it to become a good one.

Proposed solution
    • Exclude Yellow, Black from being available in booster packs
    • Have Purple cards only available as a rare in Blue booster packs.
    • Include all Red and Orange cards all the time
    • Include random (or hand picked by staff) 10 cards from each Lime, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple sets as limited edition cards (total of 50)
    • Replace the cards available as limited edition after a certain period of time. (Every month? Every Season? Every Event updates?)
    At any given point in time there will always only be 121 different monster cards available in booster packs making it almost impossible for one to cheese his way to a tier 10 ring while retaining the positive aspects of the suggestion.

As mentioned by Nightz earlier Rino is not yet available for Islanders. However if this suggestion gets implemented Islanders will eventually be able to get rare orange cards from red packs and eventually have 30+ sets completed. At this point in time, having Rino in Southperry will be necessary. It would even be possible, although extremely lengthy process, to obtain orange tokens when rare orange card drops start becoming duplicates themselves. Then buying orange packs could become possible and the process repeated for other available colors.

Thanks to all of you for the contribution you are bringing to this topic. Keep ideas coming :)

Edit: I thought of another way to limit the value of farming a lot of tokens on certain maps.
    • Define a cap value for maximum amount of tokens that can be accumulated before having to be used.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  10. IoIzor

IoIzor Capt. Latanica

Jun 8, 2015
    8:17 PM
    Islander
    i like your colorful texts so i give this a like
    hope u like it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    yeah, the logic you outline here also helps translate to code. the more in-depth obviously, the less thinking for developers when catching exceptions, etc.

also, it may be necessary to include a chance to acquire duplicate cards (null card) and increase the chances of getting an easily obtained card and the lowest chance for hard to drop card / next color card (if this chance).

there probably isn't a generated spreadsheet of what their card drop rates are, i think (hopefully there is?), so it may take longer on that front prior to thinking about % changes.

12. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    Corsair
    I didn't realize the screenshot was edited, my bad! Figures though, since you get the quest as soon as you get to Lith Harbor.

Since we have more cards to work with would it be preposterous to ask for higher tiers to the ring? Idk about the extra stats, but more options to get HP without washing sounds like a positive change to me. Just food for thought though.

13. RemiIia

RemiIia Mr. Anchor

Jan 25, 2019
    Female
    ⚜RemiIia Scarlet⚜
    Night Lord
    ⚜Scarlet⚜
    haha I dreamt of this idea before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. ErkalEtruria