1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nerf/Disable Leeching at release

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by SYLegend, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    7:16 AM
    So I made a comment about leech in the open beta promotion thread and since there were some replies, I thought it'd be better to make a thread for it.

Now people have very different opinions on if leech is good or not, so I'm not going to repeat all the arguments over again. Instead I'll make a suggestion on how to possibly improve on this:

Now normally whenever a mob is killed the source distributes the exp to everyone in the party. What I want to suggest is: make it so that the exp is only distributed to players in the party who have attacked in the last minute or so. The attacked mob would have to belong to the normal spawn of the map of course.

This would mean that party training is still possible, but people can't afk for an hour and get leeched.

2. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    1:16 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    #baneverything2015

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pebbs

Pebbs Master Chronos

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    England
    6:16 AM
    Pebbs
    Bishop
    Dalmascus
    Please.. no.. [-1]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Updawg

Updawg Red Snail

Dec 14, 2014
    Male
    10:16 PM
    NO

5. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Bishop, bishop, bishop. I see a pattern.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pebbs

Pebbs Master Chronos

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    England
    6:16 AM
    Pebbs
    Bishop
    Dalmascus
    Its already going to be a 2x server, is there any need to make it harder than it already is?

*Plus: GMS was not like this

• Like Like x 4
  7. NonY

NonY Slime

Dec 27, 2014
    Male
    San Diego
    In my opinion, I don't think this should straight up be done. If people want to leech others, let them do so. What I do think should be done, however, is to prevent this from becoming monetized. Selling leech/obtaining benefit from leeching someone through other means other than gain of experience (trading scrolls/items for leech, etc) for both parties should not occur. I realize this would take some work to enforce, but I think it's the best solution. It could be a community effort as well, so it doesn't just rest on the GM's shoulders.

Taking this approach discourages leeching, since part of the incentive to leech is lost, while at the same time allowing people who want to leech friends or strangers out of the goodness of their heart can still do so. For bishops, leeching is a legitimate way to gain experience, it's just how the class works. Denying them this would be a bit much.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    We have no plans to change the GMS-like fornulas of leeching away. However, maybe one of those days we will alter how our "Bonus exp for PARTY" feature works that we recently added, so people actually grinding together get a slightly bit more exp, still leaving leeching in end completely alone, but motivate more party play instead of soloing. Teamplay to me is still a very important priority for MapleStory as it makes the game much less boring.

We'll get to this once we are done with the more important stuff, but we will not change how leech works, as once again I don't want Legends to turn into a TOO hardcore server.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    XBowman*

• Like Like x 2
  10. Betwixt

Betwixt Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Feb 16, 2015
    Betwixt
    Night Lord
    Salty/Demure
    Let's not hurt Leeching. :C Some classes just have a really, really hard time mobbing, okay? D:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    Moved to rejected, although there are still some plans in the works to eventually make tweaks to party exp to make it more worthwhile to party play (e.g. small bonuses for each non-afk party member).

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.