1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Maplestory like a rich kid in 2006

Discussion in 'Art, Screenshots & Multimedia' started by BlackStealth, Aug 19, 2017.

1. BlackStealth

BlackStealth Mixed Golem

Aug 10, 2015
    Male
    Cape Canaveral FL.
    12:17 PM
    StealthStory Lv124 BambooBoy Lv96
    Bishop
    BambooBoys
    So I bought a Tablet that was made in 2006. It's the Motion Computing LS800... lots of text ahead sorry. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong location.

Why does this thread exist because I got this baby for one thing only.... Maplestory!
    This baby has a Intel Pentium M processor clocked at 1.2Ghz
    and the screen resolution is 800x600 which is why i wanted it for MapleStory.
    8.4in screen!

So when I bought this on eBay it was listed as untested for parts but I knew better. The pictures shown it looking near brand new compared to every other listing. It was a gamble but I knew it was just a dead battery they just had no charger to test it. I bought a compatible charge off amazon and boom the thing booted right up. It sells for around $100 I paid $40+$6 for the charger. :)
    [​IMG]
    The first thing I did was open the back and install better ram I had lying around. It had 512MB I gave it 2GB.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I'm sure you're wondering well gosh WTF is this thing well TDLR Microsoft started working on tablets in 2002 (way before apple) and released the Windows XP slate in 2004. It never caught on but Motion computing got on the bandwagon anyways and made the LE & LS series of tablets. If you want one I highly recommend the Motion Computing LE1700.

Also it's not a touch screen it uses a wacom styuls which it didn't come with.

The battery won't hold a charge and finding one that works is highly unlikely so I plan on buying some name brand cells and replacing the dead ones.

Anyways does it run Maplestory? Heck yes it does. First I had to hook a mouse and keyboard to it. Once I did that I was able to connect it to wifi. After that I plugged in my Flash drive and tried to copy paste maplelegends to the HDD but it seems that every time I write to the drive the tablet shuts off after a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

It's a 17GB drive so yeah that explains alot. I got around this by loading MS directly from the flash drive it works every time annnnd.... the moment of truth....

Huston we have Liftoff!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was so overjoyed that it booted up. But how well would it run certainly any game will run at 60fps on the title screen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I get around 25-30FPS and it dosen't lag one bit no ghosting nothing of the sort. I mainly want it for when im at work or a friends just play this whenever. I'm too cool to get a laptop lol.

It needs some love but once this project is finished I'll be mapling like a rich kid in 2006. I'll post updates in the future. Thanks for reading this far. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    BlackStealth

BlackStealth Mixed Golem

Aug 10, 2015
    Male
    Cape Canaveral FL.
    Bishop
    BambooBoys
  3. Frisk

Frisk Pac Pinky

May 3, 2015
    Female
    6:17 PM
    Kasai (new main), Amira (old main)
    F/P Mage
    Labyrinth
    This is fucking amazing, good job!
    Do you have any more of these projects with old school tech?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    BlackStealth

BlackStealth Mixed Golem

Aug 10, 2015
    Male
    Cape Canaveral FL.
    Bishop
    BambooBoys
    Not really lol I would love to do more but it gets expensive. If you want your fill of old school tech YouTubers The8bitguy, LGR, and Techmoan are amazing.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    7:17 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    I've never even heard of those tablets, but this looks really cool!
    You say this is your replacement of a laptop to play legends on the go, how bulky/heavy is it? And how do you play using the stylus, or did you just hook it up to a keyboard?

6. OP
    OP
    BlackStealth

BlackStealth Mixed Golem

Aug 10, 2015
    Male
    Cape Canaveral FL.
    Bishop
    BambooBoys
    It's actually not that big and It only weighs 2.5lbs/ 1.1Kg. Feels light to carry.
    It's essentially a full mini desktop pc with a screen in it.
    The battery slides on the top where the slot is. But i have it opened up at the moment.
    You can plug a mouse and keyboard to it but it supports Bluetooth so I plan on buying a small Bluetooth keyboard with a track pad.
    it was like $2,100 USD new so yeah lol.

Some comparison photos.

Front. My 3DS XL has a extended battery installed to it so it's thicker than normal. LED indicators on the top left. refresh button, close button, a left click and direction pad. A single stereo speaker at the bottom left and finger print scanner at the top left. This thing has some cool features.
    [​IMG]

Left Side has 2 USB 2.0 ports and the wireless button. The device is thinner than my GB color. About as thick as an N64 cartridge.
    [​IMG]

Right Side. The stylus would slide into the hole. I plan on buying one for it. Also has an SD card slot.
    [​IMG]
    Back Side. There are no cooling fans in the device so it heads up a bit but it has lots of vents.
    [​IMG]

The LS800 came with a case which is called the "Bump case" won't protect the screen though.
    [​IMG]

Has a kick stand
    [​IMG]

I'll post a video eventually. More to come.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  7. TallBird

TallBird Mano

Apr 16, 2021
    Male
    CrumbCake
    Crossbowman
    none
    The true MapleStory M. Awesome job dude! :pinkbean:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Four years later & can now play on iPads with sidecar + controller.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1