1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Magician Poison Wizard Guide

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by DannyDanny, Feb 2, 2015.

1. DannyDanny

DannyDanny Stone Golem

Dec 13, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    11:34 AM
    SpaceMan
    Dragon Knight
    Dalmascus
    ICastPizza's Guide

For a long time, placing more than 11 points in poison brace was considered to be a bad choice and a waste of SP. Nowadays it is more mainstream and there are lots of different builds which utilize poison brace for training.
    This guide is dedicated specifically to providing information about pizards (poison + wizard = pizard) . How to build SP, lukless or not, where to train, etc.

Table Of Contents

History
    Hybrid vs. Pure poison
    SP builds and advice
    Training
    Brace"" class="sp sbasil" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); cursor: pointer; width: 16px; height: 16px; margin-right: 5px; padding-left: 20px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22.75px; background-image: url(http://www.basilmarket.com/img/sprite-site.png?v=3); background-position: 0px -68px; background-repeat: no-repeat;">"But Myst > Brace"
    FAQs
    Pictures and videos
    Replies

History

I feel like I should have this section, because this is not a class that simply started when maple came out and stayed a class many people picked. It has a history to it.
    At the start, there was no ludi or aqua in GMS. At this time a pure poison wizard wasn't a good idea at all. Even poison myst was not effective for training. Times have changed. Ludi and Aqua and many other high level areas have been released., and poison in second job is useful.
    Along came EnGarde, the ORIGINAL poison wizard. He maxed poison brace and uploaded many videos about poison to youtube (which have since disappeared).
    After that there were very few scattered people that put more then 11 points on poison for a while, included in which are some of the first pure pizards.

Poison brace started to gain a small amount of support at a time with hackers in all of the good training spots and F/P wizards could not train well. The "hell" at late 2nd job and early 3rd job was amplified because of hackers. People maxed brace to be used to train at DTs from 60 to 75 for better experience.
    At the same time, several PURE poison wizards (no fire arrow) appeared as well, including Eplphany of Broa and myself (ICastPizza of Bera.)

Now, poison brace has become much more popular. Many people acknowledge poison builds as good and now there has become a choice between pure poison, fire, and hybrid.

It is my hope that the popularity of poison builds increase so that they are just as common and accepted a build as fire wizard, and not just a "bad" class or the kind of thing people make to be "unique".

But if people don't know how to make a pizard, this can't happen! There have been many questions about pizards since the idea started floating around. That is why I am making this guide.

Hybrid vs. Pure

Pure Poison Wizard: Wizard who maxes poison brace and puts no points on Fire Arrow. I personally don't consider some one who puts the 11 extra point on fire arrow as pure poison, but some people might (Given that max poison has higher Base Attack than level 11 Fire Arrow)
    Hybrid F/P wizard: Wizard who maxes both attacking skills.

There is no question that Poison Brace is more useful than Fire arrow in respective builds during levels 60 to 75. Every build offered here has poison ready to use by that period. But there is still the question of what skill to skip for Poison and to max it sooner or later?

First off let me state my opinion. Based on experiences and comparisons of the usefulness of skills, I have to say that Fire Arrow is the best skill to skip and I recommend Pure Poison build A if you plan on maxing poison at all. The next best skill to skip would be MP eater (Which is done in both of my hybrid builds). Those are the only two skills that you should take off.

Here's the reason why fire arrow is a good skill to skip: Using either Hybrid build, you don't have max Poison and Slow and Tele until mid to late 60s or even level 70. While you can train with just Poison Brace, the other supporting skills help a heck of a lot. Using the Pure Poison builds, all 3 skills are maxed by level 54, and you'd already be 100% ready to start poisoning things.

The only problem with this is people will argue that 35-51 is easier with Fire Arrow. It is, but just by a slight amount though. Using poison, you can train almost as fast as with poison in that level range. Fire arrow is most definitely not faster than Poison in the 50s, so as such it'd be better to be able to train with poison by the 50s. Also, MP eater is a skill that stays with you forever, while both Fire Arrow and Poison Brace get superseded later.

If you, for some reason, do want to max fire arrow, then a different skill needs to be taken off. Meditation is an option, but only because of the New Leaf City 20 M.Atk potions. You can choose to skip medi if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. Teleport is absolutely wonderful for mages. It is useful for getting around, it is useful for avoiding getting hit and it increases training speed.

The other two skills, slow and MP eater, are mostly about saving money. In that, slow does a much better job because each time you get hit is a lot of MP eats, and slow does a good job of helping to avoid getting hit. Slow is also useful for bosses that move. So MP eater is the next least useful skill.

On the topic of money, hybrids are more expensive. The reason is that by the time you'd move to high level things, with a pure build, you've already got max teleport and max or close to max slow to save your wallet. In a hybrid build you'd go as soon as you can after you max poison, and lack of teleport or slow or both will make training more expensive. Also, using poison needs less expensive equipment than training reliant on high hits

Although there are now more spots in which Fire Wizards late in second job can train fairly well, pizard training remains faster.

SP builds and advice

(This is only for second job. There will be a few ideas for third job but not builds. You can just use a normal first job build from any other guide.)
    Please note that although patch .38 changed the name back to "Poison Breath" I still refer to it as brace.

Pure poison build A
    This is the build I recommend used myself.
    1 Teleport
    30 Poison Brace (MAX)
    19 Teleport (MAX)
    20 Slow (MAX)
    20 MP Eater (MAX)
    20 Meditation (MAX)
    11 Extra points
    Comments: Tele is very useful, so one point early. Max poison brace so that it can be used to train with earlier. Max Teleport next, because it is very useful to a pizard, more than any other support skill by far in the level range this build maxes it in. Slow next because although MP eater would be helpful (medi would be useless), taking a few MP and saving a few MP pots doesn't save nearly as much money as using slow.

Pure poison build B
    Slightly different.
    1 Teleport
    30 Poison Brace (MAX)
    4 Teleport (5)
    20 Slow (MAX)
    15 Teleport (MAX)
    20 MP Eater (MAX)
    20 Meditation (MAX)
    11 Extra points
    Comments: Slow and Tele are switched here, although 5 tele is required to start slow. Slow can kind of help by the time it is maxed with this build, but it depends on where you train.

In those two builds, extra points can go any where. I used them for magic armor.

Other builds are possible, but these the two best pure poison builds. You need slow, tele, and maxed brace by the 50s to start using them all to train well with brace.

Hybrid build A
    1 Teleport
    30 Fire Arrow (MAX)
    30 Poison Brace (MAX)
    17 Tele (18)
    20 Slow (MAX)
    3 MP Eater (3)
    20 Medi (MAX)
    Comments: Max Fire arrow first as the usual fire arrow wizard might. Next goal is to max the skills that will be used with brace as quick as possible, so they are. During the time those skills are being maxed, you should be able to train well with or without medi, so medi is pushed till the end. I guess that you can take 2 points out of poison brace to max tele if you want.

Hybrid build B
    1 Teleport
    30 Fire Arrow (MAX)
    3 MP Eater (3)
    20 Medi (MAX)
    28 Poison Brace (28)
    19 Tele (MAX)
    20 Slow (MAX)
    Comments: This one stay with a fire arrow build for longer, and starts using brace later. I personally would choose hybrid build A over this one. I guess that you can take 2 points out of Tele to max Poison brace if you really want to, but you don't have to.

Hybrid build C (Credits to Eplphany)
    1 teleport
    30 Fire Arrow (MAX)
    19 Teleport (MAX)
    28 Poison Brace
    20 Slow (MAX)
    3 MP eater (3)
    20 Medi (MAX)

"Why? Around 55 you have poison breath and tele and that is great and you get slow at low 6x, this should reduce the post cost of a hybrid.
    And why medi at last? Because on the low 4x you outdamage the monster you are training on, so i don't think you need 200 extra damage to kill a monster you already oh-ko."

Hybrid Build D
    1 Teleport (1)
    30 Fire Arrow (MAX)
    30 Poison Brace (MAX)
    19 Teleport (MAX)
    20 Slow (MAX)
    20 MP eater (MAX)

These are the main 4 hybrid builds. Tele and slow could be switched in A and B and D, but I don't recommend it. Also, in builds B and C, you have a choice between 28 Poison brace and max all other skills except MP eater or Max poison brace and take 2 points out of Tele. 28 Poison Brace leaves a DT with about 800 HP left (according to my research) so it may take more than 1 hit to finish an already poisoned one.

In third job, you can do really whatever you want. You can check out http://www.basilmarket.com/forum/309312/ for some third job ideas. I'm currently playing with the idea of doing a somewhat normal myst build for myself, except skipping explosion. I couldn't really consider myself 'pure' poison if I had a skill that didn't poison, now could I? Although, again, any normal third job build works for a pure pizard or hybrid.

Training locations

Pure poison training
    Level 30-35:
    Wild Boars
    Ant Tunnel, on Horny Mushrooms or Zombie Mushrooms
    • Pink and Brown Teddies at Terrace hall or the surrounding maps
    Stirges
    CPQ
    Level 36-40:
    • Straw Target Dummies: Go to the first or second map. Go from one side of the map to the other hitting each dummy once or twice to poison them, then move on. At the end of the map, turn around and kill everything. This spot is expensive but fast.
    Killa bees
    Mask Fish
    • Krips or Bubblefish: ,,,. Use speed equipment if you can.
    CPQ
    Level 41-45:
    • Krips or bubblefish: ,,,. Use speed equipment if you can.
    Poopas
    Retz
    • Straw Target Dummies: First or second map.
    CPQ
    Level 45-53: For this level range start training with poison by poisoning, then moving on.
    • Mixed Golems at the Golem Temple near Henesys - There's a map where the only golems are Mixed, but I can't seem to find it on hidden-street.
    • Mixed and Regular Golems at the Sleeywood Minidungeon - The portal at
    • Luster/Lunar Pixies at Cloud Park 6: see mini-section below
    • Skeletons: ,, (Not so good)
    • Straw Target Dummies, ,.
    Voodoos/Hoodoos
    CPQ
    Level 51-55:
    Orbis PQ, rushing
    Ludi Maze PQ
    Voodoos,Hoodoos
    Level 53-55:
    Ghost Pirates* - See minisection below
    Level 55-75:
    DTs* See DTs section below.
    Ludi Maze PQ. At this point the PQ isn�t as much for exp as it is for money.
    Level 55+:
    • Lycanthropes*:,, Good drops (Blue Screamer, ilbis etc), can kill kind of quickly with poison. This is more of a 'money' place then a quick exp place
    Level 60-75:
    MDTs*: info coming soon
    Kentauri*: info coming soon
    Level 65-80:
    Bonefish* You can take advantage of their super def buffs to finish them off. Not that great exp.

Hybrid Training
    Level 30-55:
    See here or here
    Build A:
    Level 48-53:
    • Straw Dummies ,.
    Voodoos,Hoodoos
    Level 53-57:
    Ghost Pirates* - See minisection below
    Level 57-75:
    Level 60-75:
    Build B or C:
    Level 53-63: (All of these using fire arrow)
    • Gryphons ,
    Grupins
    3 Tailed Foxes
    Water Goblins
    Level 63-75:
    Level 70-80:
    Bonefish* You can take advantage of their super def buffs to finish them off. Not that great exp.

One note: MDTs have quite a bit of HP leftover after poison if you only have level 28 Brace, so it isn't recommended unless the skill is maxed.

• When exactly you can move to Ghost Pirates and DTs and MDTs and Bonefish and all high level mobs depends crucially on your accuracy. If you have good equips, you may go early. If you have bad equips, you may have to wait. I recommend testing yourself after each level up to tell if you can train at each place yet. You can also calculate an approximate accuracy here.
    MDTs and Kents are faster exp then DTs from when you're able to hit them well, but are more expensive.

DT Training

When should I start at DTs?
    Start when you have around 15% to 20% accuracy and can also take 2 or 3 hits from them. You should also have max Poison Brace, or level 28 if you�re hybrid. The level when this occurs differs from person to person. A pure pizard can go sometime between 50 and 55 usually, while a hybrid should go either as soon as brace is maxed/level 28 and level 55 or higher.

How do I train at DTs with such low accuracy?
    First of all, do not try to use the maps lower on the page to go around the map. It is better to take as much use of sniping spots as you can to avoid getting hit, and to put yourself in dangerous situations as little as possible.

Stay in sniping spots (I shall post a list of all of the ones I know soon) as much as you can. Particularly, there are lots of ways to snipe in the middle of the bottom half of the map. Lure DTs to where you can snipe them from.

One note though, is that if you spend too much in one area of the map, DTs will mob up really big in other parts of the map. The top left platform and the platform under it and the bottom, in particular, are very annoying if there are big mobs, since there aren�t sniping spots to use. So you must make sure to poison DTs on the areas that you don�t spend time in every now and then.

I�m using so many potions, and losing money. Any advice?
    The key to not using potions is not getting hit. Tele is your friend, use it. Practice teleporting past DTs and practice dodging their projectiles. Potion-wise, it helps to have all of the DTs on the plat on one side of you, or otherwise to make sure that at least the ones that are chasing you are on one side. Try to make sure mobs don�t build up on any particular platform.

The bottom is a big potion user for some people, but I shall cover that in the next question.

Bottom-ing?
    Out of every platform, the bottom is where the most DTs are. It is also where most people spend their potions.The bottom is relatively easy if there are only a few DTs, since there is so much room. If there are a lot, it can be a problem.

Slow is a friend here. Use it on DTs as you approach the bottom, but before you jump in. Teleport is also a friend here. Use it as much as needed to keep from getting hit. ( MP use from teleport is much less expensive then getting hit).

It is important to not weave around the bottom too much, and to just start on one side and go to the other. As you go, attack each DT from the front first, until it starts shooting, then teleport past it and keep going. Attack more if it isn�t poisoned yet. Slow DTs after you poison them and pass by them. I might work on a video to show this.

That works if there are DTs spread out. If you return later to find a whole stack of DTs still chasing you, it is much simpler. Keep them ALL to one side of you, and telecast attacks at them while teleporting to the opposite side of the bottom.

Sometimes, there are only a few DTs that end up poisoned. If you so choose, you can wait for the DTs to all pile up under the side you�re on, jump back down to the bottom, and go to the other side trying to poison some more DTs. I�d only do this if 2-3 only are poisoned, out of a big mob, not just if you missed a few out of a big mob.

KSing
    Sometimes, people just love to come into your map and kill all the DTs they can.
    By level 60 or so, a pizard can defend a DT map against pretty much any one except for parties and myst mages. When someone comes (and if they don�t leave after killing some DTs and getting 260 exp), just keep moving, keep poisoning DTs. If the person starts attacking the DTs as you poison them, move a different way. Most people stand no chance.
    With lower level pizards (and thus lower accuracy), if you don�t think you can keep your map, just change channels.

What equipment to use?
    You�ll definitely want to use INT gear, speed gear, jump gear, or HP gear. What either kinds of gear a person might think of using I have no idea, but if it isn�t one of those, don�t use it.
    The breakdown is as follows: At the early levels (pre 60ish), INT gear helps accuracy quite a bit. HP gear helps to survive, but I don�t think it helps enough really to be worth using over the other options.
    By the time you can put on speed or jump gear and both survive well and hit DTs well, switch. I haven�t really tried either yet though, so I can�t say which is better. Another pure pizard does have a comment on the choice though:

Eplphany: Well at the beginning I liked the idea of Hp and speed equipment, but at 58 I change to jump equipments (icarus 3, bone helm and jump snowshoes) why? Because I prefer to have max jump for better jump casting a dodging and you already have max teleport so you never actually walk in the map.
    And some platforms have a Dt near a rope, and with max jump you can get to that rope with out touching the DT.
    A picture of these spots is coming soon.

Which Potions to use?
    Use Sorcerer Elixirs from New Leaf City, and any HP potions you want. Some people like to use Grilled cheeses from New Leaf City as HP pots, and though they do help they are not necessary. Also, DTs drop a lot of mana elixirs. Do not be afraid to use those as you get them, just be sure not be accidentally be spamming those in a mob instead of Sorcerer Elixirs. If you have more than 4600 MP, Sorcerer Elixirs are replaced by Mana Bulls.

Paths around the map:
    http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1594/dtroutewh1eu5.jpg
    is a picture of one route possible at DTs. (Pic taken from http://www.sleepywood.info/forum/showpost.php?p=6619517&postcount=22 )
    My route, which is similar, is this:
    http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/704/myrouteve5.jpg
    I should probably explain the colorful mess. The white path is that path that I'd prefer to take. But I like to be more versatile and optimize my route based on saving time if there are no DTs or saving money if there are too many DTs for the white path to take. So I threw in the other colored parts for when you can split off of the white path and go a different way. Each color rejoins the white path at some point, and each color is separate from the other colors.

Mini section: GP training
    I've tried training at Ghost Pirates, and there is a way to do it and there is a way not to do it. The way to do it is to use the sniping spots available [ http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ludidungeon004vg8.png ] and share your map. In the picture, the circles areas are what you're aiming at, and the black spots are where you stand to be safe. The circle on the top basically is you need to stand right next to the block up there and attack the one GP there, but it is annoying if there are other GPs on the platform. What you want (ideally) is to stand at the spot at the bottom of the picture and kill whatever comes near you, while some one else go around the rest of the map clearing every thing else. You should always have plenty of spawn around you to poison, other wise go up to the middle sniping spot. During ideal training, you shouldn't go to the top spot.

Mini section: Cloud park 6 training
    This route really describes how to train here. You want to poison as much as possible. Don't spend too much time trying to poison the same few. For the bottom, teleport around using poison, try to get poison as many as possible but don't let yourself get caught up in the mob. If some aren't poisoned, it is ok. The bottom is really the biggest post user, the rest is fairly easy and simple.

"But Myst > Brace"

I put this as its own section because it is a very common argument against pizards.
    People often say that myst replaces brace so maxing brace is useless. This is rather silly, however. Since Fire Demon replaces Fire Arrow and Claw, those skills should be skipped by that logic. The key here is timing. Sure, brace is useless when you have myst, but achieving the level to get myst is made much easier by brace.
    Myst is a third job skill. Brace is a second job skill. You cannot decide between them. Brace is useful in second job, myst is useful in third job. There is nothing wrong with getting both.

FAQs

Q: I've just read your guide and you make maxing poison sound great! Are there ANY cons to it? Why even bother making a fire wizard?
    A: There are cons to it. Training with poison is rather expensive. It is do-able with an unfunded character, it is just annoying. Also if you aren't planning to get at least to 55, it isn't worth it to make a poison wizard. Also, some people just prefer fire to poison. This game is about fun and definitely not all people will find poison wizards fun.

Also, a pizard is HARDER to make and use well than a fire wizard, so if it is your first magician or you're new to maple, I wouldn't recommend a poison wizard.

I find poison wizards to be better than fire wizards. But I'm biased because I had money to spend, and I had high level buddies to train with if I wanted. I do enjoy playing on one a lot more then a fire wizard, though.

Q: How is poison damage calculated?
    A:This is my thread on sleepywood which describes just that. The formula is this:
    Damage is (monster's HP) / (70 - skill level) is damage per second. For instance at DTs with max poison I would deal 32000/(70-30) = 800 damage per second.

Q: Normal luk, lukless, or even pure luk?
    A: The most current research suggests that accuracy-wise, there is not a difference between different AP builds. Some people find that there isn�t much of a point in lukless since it doesn�t help damage with poison any; but in the same sense normal luk doesn�t help particularly much either. However, if you reach fourth job, you will want an AP build crafted for high magic attack.

Q: Can I boss well with Poison Brace?
    A: In short, not in second job, but in third job you can use comp to boss if you don't have fire arrow. The only boss that can be poisoned is king slime. PB has lower Base Attack then other single target magician skills, so you'll have some trouble on MMing, ZMMing, and Jr. Rogging in second job. Third job, however is kind of different. Once you put points on Comp, you can go to Pianus, you can fight at Pap, etc.

Ask some good questions and I'll put them up here, for now that's all I got.

Credits
    -Elu&Gandalf
    -Eplphany
    -FoolishCat
    -Hidden Street

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jaikor

Jaikor Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 5, 2015
    8:34 PM
    It's a good guide but a little hard on the eye

3. Neko

Neko Wolfspider

Dec 26, 2014
    5:34 AM
    Neko / Inumimi lvl 6x BM
    Bishop
    Project <3
    maybe add some pictures for skills ? ^^

i don`t know that much about f/p, but this looks like a good guide

4. OP
    OP
    DannyDanny

DannyDanny Stone Golem

Dec 13, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    11:34 AM
    SpaceMan
    Dragon Knight
    Dalmascus
    Sure it is a great guide. It is not from me, I'll try add some images soon!

• Like Like x 1