1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Revisiting the "@nullexp" command

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blache, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    2:35 AM
    Cleric
    This has topic has been brought up in various forms over the years, but I think it's worth taking another look at. To that end, I've compiled a brief list of commonly expressed concerns from previous threads, and will offer my own counterarguments or possible solutions in the following. I will also preface the discussion by providing background information and clarification of concepts.

What is the "@nullexp" command?

It is a quality-of-life oriented command whose function is to toggle whether or not a single character can receive experience—be it through defeating monsters oneself, or by the actions of party members.

Is the command intended to allow party members to gain extra experience?

No. If possible, division of experience among party members should remain the same as it would under normal conditions. The purpose of the command is simply to halt the addition of further experience to the user's current experience total. The user's nulled experience is to be eliminated rather than transferred or stored.

Who will benefit from the command?

The command will mainly be of benefit to those who wish to maintain a lower level. This is usually done to improve the experience gained by buyers while leeching (as a consequence of party mechanics, not the command itself). By the same token, a separate command that is specific to party quest experience could be created for those who wish to collect cards or completion rewards. Currently, the only means of maintaining one's level involves repeated suicide.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Now that the basic premises and functionality of the command have been established, allow me to address a number of pertinent criticisms which were voiced by the community.

Implementing this command will encourage more mule usage.

It seems almost inconceivable to me that mule use could become more ubiquitous than it already is. I am of the opinion that we have long since hit the threshold of saturation in that regard. Nothing short of limitations on multiclienting will curb the "problem" (if you perceive it as such). The community at large will be incentivized to use mules for as long as no such limitations exist. This command will not change that.

The command will be abused by hackers and botters to avoid detection.

To that my response is:

No Hackers.png

But on a more serious note, I would suggest that the command be offered on a paid basis to players above a certain level (perhaps 120+). It yields no advantage apart from avoiding the tedium of repeated suicide every few hours. The select players who are interested in the command can fork out the money ($10–20?) and contribute to the server in the process. Those who don't want it simply don't pay. It's a win for everyone. Whether access to the command applies to an account or a single character is up to the red-headed powers that be.

The command is too custom and will damage authenticity.

This is subjective, of course, however I would disagree with that opinion. I could see that being the case if an associated item were to be introduced (Cursed Charm anyone?), but as a command it's no more intrusive than say "!roll".

_________________________________________________________________________________

I couldn't find much else as far as reasons to avoid implementing this, so I'll end the thread there. Hopefully my little TED talk will have persuaded someone important. Please Nise-sama.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1