1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggested Paladin Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by rellyman, Oct 5, 2021.

1. rellyman

rellyman Snail

Aug 15, 2021
    Male
    6:11 PM
    ~ Prologue ~

Since the inception of this marvelous game we call Maple Story, the paladin has been among the most unique yet under-powered jobs. A misconception that many people seem to hold is that to fix an under-powered job one needs to buff their damage. I have put some thought into this however, and it is my belief that there exists a solution that is both NOT a strict damage buff in the most common sense, and does NOT betray the uniqueness of the marvel that is Paladin. Let us now have a rather lengthy discussion.

~ Introduction ~

Most maplers are aware that paladins shine in two very specific situations: (1) Where the enemy has an elemental weakness.
    (2) When knock-back is essential in order to pin.

While these are not qualities to be taken lightly, they really only play roles in rather uncommon scenarios. Most notably in Neo Tokyo bosses (specifically Vergamot and Nameless) and in Scarlion and Targa runs, and these are some of the most uncommonly fought bosses in the game.
    Outside of these bosses there exists Zakum, Horntail, Crimsonwood Keep PQ, and Jiaoceng to name a few. I will omit any details regarding Pink Bean since I have no experience with it at all, even though I am aware of its neutrality to lightning.

So we can observe that a majority of bosses (notably the most commonly fought bosses) do not care about paladins' elemental charge "advantage", or about their ability to reliably knock-back. In fact, specifically in Crimsonwood Keep PQ and Jiaoceng cleaving (hitting multiple mobs with a single skill or attack) is very relevant to the success of the run, which is a point I as a paladin have been made painfully aware of on numerous occasions.

This leads us to a brief explanation of what I believe are the biggest problems current paladins face.

~ The Problem ~

Just as there are two situations where paladins shine, I would say there are two where they utterly fail:
    (1) Paladins cleaving is atrocious.
    (2) Paladins must use sword over blunt weapon.

I'm sure many of you could have guessed that I would mention that first point as a problem, but some of you reading this may have looked at that second point with disgust. Allow me to explain why using a sword over a blunt weapon is strictly better and why it is not a matter of opinion. Trust me, as a user of blunt weapons myself I wish this weren't true, but this is the reality and we must face it.

~ Sword vs. Blunt Weapon ~

The age long debate between a sword paladin and a bw (blunt weapon) paladin is a relatively well-known one, and the general consensus is that using a sword is better than using a bw. For anyone that does not know, the reason for this is because the game is coded in such a way that attacking with a sword gives a static damage multiplier, resulting in more "stable" damage, whereas attacking with a bw gives a variable damage multiplier, giving bw's a "wider" or "less stable" damage range. Now let us dig a bit deeper to see why this matters.

Without delving deep into the damage formulas themselves (which you can view here if your interested), we can consider just the multiplying factors of a 1h (one-handed) sword vs a 1h bw. The static multiplier for a 1h sword is 4.0, whereas the variable multiplier for a 1h bw is either 4.4 or 3.2.

You may be asking at this point why there are two multiplying factors for bw's. To understand this we first have to understand that in Maple Story there are two types of melee attacks: swinging and stabbing.
    Now that we are aware of the two types of attacks, we can observe that regardless of swinging or stabbing a sword will stay true to its 4.0 damage multiplier, thus providing a more "stable" source of damage.

On the contrary, bw's use a different multiplier depending on whether the attack performed was a swinging attack or a stabbing attack. Since a bw is exactly that, a blunt weapon, the higher damage multiplier of 4.4 corresponds to performing a swinging attack. Of course then the lower damage multiplier of 3.2 corresponds to performing a stabbing attack. If we assume that the probability of a melee attack being a swinging type vs a stabbing type is 50% and 50% respectively, then we can take the mean of the two multipliers and see that the average multiplying value being used for bw attacks is 3.8.

Comparing a bw's 3.8 average multiplier to a sword's static 4.0 multiplier shows rather clearly the disadvantage that everyone has come to know of using a bw.

Well great, I broke your brain explaining something that probably doesn't matter to you. So what's the point?!
    The point is this: perhaps we can make changes to paladins that leverage the uniqueness of bw's in a positive way, without changing how the multipliers work fundamentally, and without giving them a strict damage buff to compensate for the difference.
    So the next question is, how can this be done?

~ Thesis ~

A healthy improvement to the paladin class can be made through two primary skill changes:
    (1) Make the 3rd job skill Charge Blow always do only swinging damage.
    (2) Make the 4th job skill Blast always do only stabbing damage.

~ Explanation ~

These changes will allow paladins the choice of using swords or blunt weapons depending on their preferences and priorities without strictly compramising their damage.

(1) Why make Charge Blow deal only swinging damage?
    Firstly, the name Charge Blow in my opinion already implies that you will be dealing blunt damage, so why not allow it to take advantage of that aspect of using a blunt weapon? This way a paladin can decide they wish to prioritize cleaving by going the blunt weapon route, making them more "eligible" to join Crimsonwood Keep PQ and Jiaoceng runs and providing more effective training at locations such as 5-6 floor in Shaolin.

(2) Why make Blast deal only stabbing damage?
    Well this one should be pretty obvious too, the blast animation is clearly a stabbing fowrad motion. It just makes sense. This way a paladin can go the sword route, maximizing their Blast output and being a more reliable source of knock-back damage as well as single target dps.

In some cases a paladin could even try to leverage both by sacrificing skill points in booster duration and certain charges (ice charge for example, since it is literally useless once you have holy/divine charge). I say this because from my experience the difference in holy being the strongest charge and ice being the weakest charge outweighs the enemies elemental weakness to ice. This however is a subject for another thread.

If making Charge Blow always do only swinging damage and Blast always do only stabbing damage does not suit you almighty GM's, then perhaps just changing the rate at which a swinging vs a stabbing type attack is performed for each attack can be considered.
    For example Charge Blow could deal swinging damage 80% or 90% of the time while Blast could deal stabbing damage 80% or 90% of the time.
    Or something along those lines.

~ Conclusion ~
    If you have read all that I had to say and come to the conclusion that I am misinformed, delusional, or even just plalin idiotic, I at the very least hope this will have sparked some new innovative and creative ideas in solving the problems that many jobs face. Not always is the answer a damage, duration, or cooldown buff (though sometimes it is), but we can sit down and dig a little deeper into what we know about the game and try imporving it in ways that perhaps haven't been considered before.

Thanks for reading~

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:11 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    After you had initially mentioned the two downsides of paladin; I had somewhat expected you to propose a solution that did something to negate both of them.
    I think your solution is an interesting one, but it would still leave paladins in a pretty unfortunate spot in all the bosses you mentioned as currently problematic for paladins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    6:11 PM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Paladin isn't even in a terrible spot nowadays with NT buffs, in fact they're probably the one warrior that isn't unapologetically bad. It just seems like a playground rumor that they're bad and need buffs when they're actually top tier at their ideal locations. It's a class that isn't usually played by the sweaty folks willing to milk all of the value they can from NT via coin mules, so people expect them to be dumpier than they are. A high investment Paladin with 5 coin mules can make more from soloing 2x Nameless every day than they can probably make in a 30man Pink Bean run, while taking roughly the same amount of time with the only difference is that Nameless can be run daily.

Paladin is probably the best class capable of soloing fairly quickly and safely, followed by I/L and buccaneer. Just from that they have access to better money making methods than any ranged class(short of efficient PB)

Other than that though I actually like the idea, it's just the push for calling Paladins bad that I don't think is right.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Coincidences

Coincidences Mano

Jun 2, 2018
    Male
    9:11 AM
    Memento
    Buccaneer
    Vengeance
    I think your suggestion is pretty interesting as it promotes the use of both types of weapons for Paladins. Unfortunately, the main issue here is that people are pretty averse to damage buffs. The identity of the Paladin created by players and the nature of their skills are that of a single target dpm. While yours might not be a direct buff as you might claim, ultimately it's still a buff to their cleaving and.... damage.

Put it this way, if we were to buff the skill damage of charged blow without having to change the proclamation rate of the swings, would it not achieve the intended effect of increasing their cleaving potential? Ultimately, I think innovative utility buffs would serve to make paladins better rather than ways of increasing their damage. Something like making them deal magical damage instead of physical as previously suggested, but I can't be sure of the repercussions of such a change.

Know that I would love for Paladins to get a buff btw

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    10:11 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    what about if mastery of bw got a bit more %?