1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Suggestion] Kill Counter

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Zombotrox, Jun 2, 2017.

Would you want this command in the game?

1. Yes

86.5%
  2. No

13.5%
  1. Zombotrox

Zombotrox Brown Teddy

Aug 31, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    9:56 AM
    Zombotrox/Zombage
    Please vote in the poll to show that us, the community, wants this command to happen, or not.

For people who farm items/scrolls (such as myself), I honestly feel a kill counter would be useful to calculate how many 'x mobs' you'd have to kill to get 1 of 'x item'. The kill counter can display all mobs killed and specific mobs killed.

For example:
    Total Mobs Killed: 489
    Nightghost Killed: 420
    Dark Cloud Fox Killed: 69

Once you get the desired item, you could reset the kill counter and start over again until you eventually get a general understanding of how many 'x mobs' you'd have to kill to get 'x item'.

The kill counter could also just be used to see how many mobs you've killed just for the fun of it because if you spend hours and hours and hours in a map, I think it'd just be satisfying to see 'Total Mobs Killed: 134,523' or something like that.

If this command eventually becomes available, I don't think it should be enabled by default and instead would have to be turned on through a command. This is because I believe that the 'mobs killed' scoreboard should carry over if you were to log out, disconnect, exit the map, etc. If the command was already enabled by default, you'd have a cluster of mobs that you've killed from Level 1 to a higher level, and you wouldn't want your chatbox to be cluttered with 89 different mobs.There's just so many ideas I have for this command if it's actually possible.

The main thing I'm concerned about is the difficulty of coding this in, hard or not. I don't know how to code so this is really just a suggestion that I myself can't partake in helping besides the fact that I can give ideas and that's it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Edit: Didn't finish one of the things I was explaining. Typed sentences that I forgot to put in.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    2:56 PM
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    Will this command be Bigfoot compatible?

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Zombotrox

Zombotrox Brown Teddy

Aug 31, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    Zombotrox/Zombage
    Anything that is killable in the game, I'm sure it should be added onto the scoreboard. I also just thought of an idea that you could cross out mobs you don't want on the board instead of having to have all mobs on the board until you reset the board itself. For example, if you kill Jr.Wraiths around Bigfoot and you don't want that on the board, the scoreboard can be in numerical order and can be deleted using a command that specifies whatever number Jr.Wraith is under.

For example:
    Total Mobs Killed: 123
    [1] Jr.Wraith Killed: 122
    [2] Bigfoot Killed: 1

@kcclear1

"Jr.Wraith has been cleared from the kill counter."

A command such as @kcclear would clear the whole scoreboard and if you put a number after it, it will clear the number specified. Any commands I type on this thread should not be finalized and are only examples to be made.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    1:56 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    It doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I wonder if how many of each mob has already been tracked but we just don't know it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    8:56 PM
    Beginner
    I think it's a great idea. I would start small though and just have it log the kills from when you entered the map, and reset every time you dc or change map.
    Then use @kills to see the progress.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    3:56 PM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    From an ansi C point of view, this would be easy as cheese to code without even messing with SQL. A little structure of how it would work just kinda popped in to my head as soon as I read this suggestion. I would imagine Java being even easier.

And I support the suggestion overall.

One concern I have though, is that this seems like something that would bog down the server. (hardware-wise)
    Simply because a lot of monsters killed here, even every second.

7. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I'm sure the server will be able to handle this without issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    So you would see a kill counter of every mob you have ever killed?

9. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    It seems the support for this suggestion is overwhelmingly positive.
    What do you say staff; can we expect to see this feature in the game soon?

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Zombotrox

Zombotrox Brown Teddy

Aug 31, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    Zombotrox/Zombage
    Only if you enable the command. The mobs you killed won't be recorded on the scoreboard until you enable the command. The kill counter scoreboard would only show if you were to type a command to show the scoreboard and it would show in the chatbox.

11. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    Great idea and i think it wouldn't take much effort in coding it since you could almost use the same code as @xpm command with some adjustments.

Edit: Might use a lot of resources having to keep track of hundreds of players kill counts JVM wise...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  12. Boyco

Boyco King Slime

Apr 24, 2017
    Male
    2:56 PM
    Totally yes!
    Just as I would like to add a command like @mesopm, just like exp per time but for the meso pickup. Not gamebreaking, but a fun feature.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Zombotrox

Zombotrox Brown Teddy

Aug 31, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    Zombotrox/Zombage
    Is this being looked into at all or is this thread going to collect dust? I think we need an update.

14. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    3:56 AM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    Is part of Maple written in C89 (I have 0 clue)? Just curious why you mention ANSI C and not C99.

I think the best implementation would be this:

@trackkills <on | off> turns tracking on or off respectively. Could just combine @kills as a command which, if receiving no arguments, shows the list below and upon receiving on or off turns kill tracking on or off.

Every time a mob is killed it is added to this list, and once the list is full of 5 unique mobs it only updates for those mobs.

@kills should print:

[1] - Mob: XX
    [2] - Mob: XX
    [5] - Mob: XX

So you can track 5 mobs killed.

[1] - Snail: 10
    [2] - Red Snail: 55
    [3] - Zakum: 1
    [4] - Orange Mushroom: 1,024
    [5] - Blue Snail: 555

@resetkills <number | all> should work as follows:

The list is numbered 1 to 5, so typing "@resetkills 1" will reset the tracking on position 1. All positions remain in the same spot unless devs want to shuffle that up (i.e., in this case shuffle 2 to 5 up to 2 to 4).

"@resetkills all" resets the entire list.

Now you can kill a new mob and that mob will take the place you just cleared (or if the devs shift-up places then the next available space).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    If legends run's on the same source base as other servers it would be Java and like from the little knowledge I know having a player base this large, keeping track of multiple kill counts might be resource heavy.
    This being said I think from what little experience I have using source codes it would probably have to be based on either the monster you want to track or a scheduled future runnable for x amount of time. Almost like the expm command.

Due to the level of Legends, it would definitely take some fine tuning to make sure it wasn't too much of a burden for the overall server performance.

16. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    3:56 AM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    Oh yeah forgot about that, maybe they could make it 1 monster per player maybe up that to 2. Or limit it to 1 hour of tracking per player per day. Dunno, cos yeah ~400 online most of the time and say ~100 (low estimate?) grinding that's a lot of monsters dying every second.

17. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Cause I'm reading a really old book :p C11 is current

18. OP
    OP
    Zombotrox

Zombotrox Brown Teddy

Aug 31, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    Zombotrox/Zombage
    Bumping to get more votes.

19. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    To give an official reply in this thread we currently do not log specifically which mobs you kill, the reason why you can see it on auto bans is due to packet send by users, which auto ban respond to.

Currently we already log a lot of things and logging every single mob kill is very heavy on the source/database and it also need to be coded, so if it happens it would happen this way, but no custom quests/etc will be added since I am completely against that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1