1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midnight, Jan 7, 2017.

Anything wrong with the economy?

1. Inflation

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Deflation

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Some things too high

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Some things too low

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Nothing wrong

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  6. Idk but its all messed up

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Stable

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Unstable

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    5:47 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    The purpose of this thread is to determine the current health of our Free Market economy. If there is an overwhelmingly common opinion, I'll post a follow up thread for suggestions to fix it. Please include any assessment that comes to mind- ex. certain items, overall lows or highs, causes and effects etc.

I personally did not spend much time browsing the GMS FM of 2008. But I do feel like the prices-overall are low. I think that it may be the result of the more diligent high-level players doing more grinding overall than the population of low-level players. They collect piles of scrolls of such excess that it causes deflation. No fault of the high level players or low level players... The high level players just... play, and the low level players dont have to hold an interest. This is a low rate server and it is completely understandable for someone to not have this level of patience-especially with the current trend off MMO's.

I have also noticed a lack of stronk equipment but I dont know why.

Your thoughts?

The poll is open to unlimited choices.

2. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    6:47 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Low population means less scrolls drop. Less scrolls means less people scrolling, so less chance of good items in market. The problem imo is the small population

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:47 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I'm not sure I can answer the "economy problems" with just these options, but I tried.

First of all, there are some items which have prices that just hit rock bottom a lot of times. It could be that there simply isn't much, if any demand for them (like def scrolls). But even many 60% weapon scrolls get to ridiculously low prices. The server can be considered flooded with these scrolls because they come from PQs, quests, and even are drops from mobs which are frequently killed.

I don't believe there's anything we could do about this except for hamhanded nerfing of drop rates because this is just the result of supply and demand. We have a low population and even if we get new players, not a high enough percentage of them get to those levels where they even bother trying to scroll their gear. Low population also would mean less being injected into the server. To a point. But I think the fact that we're still running on 4 channels might have something to do with the supply being abundant as well.

Some prices are still too high, though. And this is what I think comes from lack of supply in very valuable, highly-sought-after pieces of gear and scrolls for late game. Elemental wands are a pain to get, for instance. They're pretty rare from gachapon, and the ones you can find in the FM are stupidly overpriced. This is just another instance of supply and demand, however. Ele wands are a very rare commodity that can hardly be controlled by players at all. It's all just pure luck from gach. But every mage and priest needs them. Bishops in particular are by far the most popular class on this server, and they easily acquire mesos. Think of all the mesos being accrued on the server daily, and you will realize we still do have a huge inflation problem as well. It only really manifests on these top-tier items, which is further worsened by the lack of supply.

I've already touched on this before: we need meso sinks - things we can buy for mesos from NPCs which are actually useful and valuable. And I think we should really, really have all gachapon drops available from certain monster drops as well. That way, if you really want an item or scroll badly, you can go and hunt it, trying to increase your own supply through your own labor -not just waste all your NX on gach over and over hoping the RNG gods smile upon you once or twice as your inventory fills up with other crap you don't want and no one else really wants.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    2:47 AM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    From my time in the FM here, I've noticed prices are lower than what I remembered in 2008. I'm not at all concerned about this because of the population of this server is no where near comparable to the population that Khaini had when I played on GMS. The inflation that Khaini faced in 2010 was ridiculous (8 million for an Onyx Apple). I remember, however, that some players looked at the Yellonde server and found the economy to be incredibly deflated in comparison. They thought that if they transferred to Yellonde with a lot of epic gear and scrolls, they'd be highly sought after for high-level pq and boss runs. This turned out to not work because there weren't enough high-level characters on that server to support the runs. Others believed they could transfer over to Yellonde, buy up a bunch of their low-priced items, and then transfer back and make a killing in the Khaini markets. This didn't work out too well either because they were only allowed to bring one million mesos upon the transfer, and the items they felt they could sell for profit in Yellonde didn't bring in enough to buy the low-priced items to warrant the trouble on the return trip.

Suffice it to say, the economy will behave exactly as the population of the server behaves. If we want to change the economy, then we need multiple competitive markets. This is why I've been pushing for the Maker Skill to be introduced into this server without changing it to an .83 server (difficult and time-consuming, I know, but I believe it would be well worth it). The Maker Skill will stimulate the ore market first, and will soon bring many good high-level equips to the FM scene not too long after. The scroll market will soon see higher competition as the need for scrolls will increase (which is why I believe the current supply makes the economy ripe for the Maker Skill to be introduced).

This leaves only the garbage etc drops a candidate for investigation. One particular idea I've had is to revamp Mr. Do's Book on Herbal Medicine from Mu Lung. Currently, the garbage drops turned into Mr. Do don't exactly pay off. If the number of items created was increased to 15 or 20, and some of the potency of the items were increased a tad, then there might be a call for these items. I would say the same for etc drops in the El Nath/Orbis region - the 100 items you turn in should have the chance to give an item of equal or greater value than the value the 100 etc items turned in - ideally an item highly sought after. Otherwise, there isn't a viable reason for doing so. There are a few exceptions, like Lunar Pixie's Moonpieces can give 15 Dragon Skins (nothing to scoff at), or Luster Pixie Sunpieces - that's one way to get an Cape for INT scroll. Given that there are only four regions with exchange quests (Orbis, Mu Lung, Zipangu, and Crimsonwood), it might be something to consider to develop exchange quests in all other regions. The creation of them may incentivize the want to gamble the etc drops and thereby lower the chances of inflation (given if they choose to gamble them instead of NPCing the drops).

• Like Like x 1
  5. FireMushroom

FireMushroom Horny Mushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    5:47 AM
    I think it is fine. Reminds me a bit of the earlier times when GMS began opening a bunch of extra servers and when their economies where still young. Maybe not perfect but the prices feel "real". If someone wants to attempt a low demand class then its possible to find some good deals. Given the usual number of players online, I was pleasantly surprised to see how many shops occupy the Free market.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    11:47 AM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    I agree with SucreSucre. Also LionheartLionheart, you explained the situation pretty perfectly to be honest, good job.
    So yeah, that's pretty much what I feel about the economy right now, it's not too bad though, in my opinion.