1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The inadvertent buff to bishops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alyosha, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    2:26 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    In MapleLegends, there have been many skill changes affecting many different classes, but you may be wondering what skills could have possibly changed for bishops. It isn't a change in a bishop's skills per se, but a change in the buccaneer arsenal from its GMS counterpart. Skills used to be able to stack, like the weapon attack buffs of certain skills and as the skill in question as a part of this oversight: Speed Infusion.

Back in GMS you could use your Weapon Booster(+2) and stack it with Speed Infusion(+1-2). Because of the limitations of v.62 code, I don't believe that this was possible here, so instead we got it written in a different way: To make Speed Infusion buff people with (+3-4) more weapon speed.

For almost every class, this was as intended to the speed you achieved with SI in GMS. All of them except for the one class with no other boosting skill: Bishops. Bishop's skills were all balanced around the concept that they didn't have a booster skill, and because of this the casting time of Genesis is the same casting time as Meteor and Blizzard after the Arch Mage uses Spell Booster.

A bishop can get off around 22 casts of Genesis per minute without SI. An Arch Mage, using their third job Spell Booster, can also achieve 22 casts per minute. The ultimates for magicians were balanced around the fact that bishops did not have a booster when Neckson decided on the timing.

What this means is that overall, Speed Infusion gives bishops +4 casting speed while it gives Arch Mage's(And every other class) an overall +2 casting speed. In numbers this means that a Bishop is capable of casting Genesis 28 times per minute, while Arch Mages can cast their ultimate at most 24 times per minute.

So this means that Bishops get an additional 27% more DPS added from the use of SI.

Arch Mage's get an additional 9% DPS from using SI, and that's where the bishop should sit if they received the intended +2 boost from SI.

What's to be done? Honestly I hope nothing is done, it's kinda a nice buff considering the Bishop's lackluster damage. :^) It's just interesting to think about, and probably only makes an impact with the addition of the Shaolin Temple mobs and their high HP; because a bishop with SI 5ko'ing is about equal to an AM 4ko'ing with Spell Booster now. It is also a big advantage to anything easily 1ko-able(gubi goby) by taking the cast time down. For just sheer 1ko potential AM's are the better option though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    5:26 AM
    I believe this was never intended, since si was always supposed to be an additional buff to booster rather than overlapping it.

The issue iirc was due to a bug with the interaction of booster and si. So a fix was made to make it +4 and cancel out booster, because of this the only class without a booster skill got buffed.

While I don't see a a fix soon, you may see a change in the future. (Depending on the decision of whether or not to leave it as is.)

3. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    11:26 AM
    Moderator Post
    Indeed, the problem is that SI is supposed to be its own version of a Booster buff.
    Neckson coded it (along with a few other buffs, although SI is the most noticeable because it actually breaks) to work in a special way.
    The fix for that does exist, but it's something I wouldn't recommend to put too high on the patch list priority, it would suck up on a lot of time.

4. Igni

Igni Timer

Aug 10, 2017
    Male
    7:26 PM
    MeleeSmash
    Buccaneer
    There's also the problem that SI and boosters share the same timer, and if a Bucc SI's anyone that has booster, it will override their booster but not reset the timer, so it would 'magically' disappear for them.

Eg: Night Lord uses Booster, I SI them when their booster is 160 seconds in, my SI overrides their booster and SI looks 'fresh' on their screen. 40s later SI suddenly wears off even though it's supposed to last way longer, because it's using the original booster timer.

I didn't find it much of a nuisance at first but it eventually became quite annoying when all it takes is 1 person in your party to accidentally cast booster, or use booster as part of their buff macros to force me to re SI the entire party again and tell the person who used booster to disable their booster/not use it. This happens more frequently than one would think.

I think it's rather greedy to hope that nothing is to be done about this unintentional buff, just so bishops get to benefit more than they should. This SI workaround is annoying in boss fights, and I would gladly take the very small solo nerf of having to cast booster for myself, if it meant that I no longer need to deal with thieves complaining that their SI is suddenly off and losing their DPM or whatever.

If for some reason bishops want compensation for the nerf whenever this fix ever gets applied (if ever), then they should think of ways to tweak their class for that, SI shouldn't be tweaked just for their benefit, it's a buccaneer skill.

• Agree Agree x 2