1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Update from Navi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navi, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    10:09 AM
    Moderator Post
    Hi guys. Just thought I'd post an update rather than responding to all of my inbox messages separately. I apologize for not getting back to many of you, but I simply have not had much of a means to do so (currently still don't have home wifi set up and doubt I will anytime soon).

As many of you may know, I've been away for a couple weeks now (although my availability has already been relatively limited for nearly a month). In case you have not heard from the other staff about my absence, I got a new job offer in early/mid July, which I accepted and therefore became incredibly busy arranging the move for the job, which officially started at the beginning of August (moved from San Francisco to Philadelphia).

I had to get my job and housing issues settled both in San Francisco and Philadelphia, and also ended up needing to drive there (since I needed a car), which as you can imagine was a lot of fun.

I now work full time in pharma as a programmer/analyst and in my opinion, get paid incredibly well for my age (more than enough to incentivize me to leave behind the beautiful California weather), although my job is a lot of hard work. I get the privilege of analyzing tons of data (many with 3 million+ rows), writing reports, and re-writing years of out-dated code in a new language.

With that being said, no, I have not left or given up on MapleLegends; however, the amount of time I can put into this game is very limited (not that it wasn't limited before). After coding all day at work, I don't have all that much interest in coding more after I get home. I understand that a lot of content was planned and promised to be released in a timeframe that has since long passed, but unfortunately timeframes are very volatile for small teams or startups. Hopefully you understand.

Likewise, I also hope you know that the entire rest of the staff has worked very hard in my absence and I am very proud of them. Kimberly has worked incredibly hard on pushing out the new patch which has mainly been delayed because a significant portion of it required a lot of work from me to properly implement. Take it easier on her.

While it is easy to complain about things not working, properly implementing features takes a lot of meticulous work, and does not happen by the snap of the fingers. It took several thousands of hours of work to get MapleLegends where it is today, and it will take at least another couple thousand to get it to where everything is perfect. Patience is the key, and I appreciate the fact that the majority of you have stayed around despite the code stagnating a bit. I do intend to work on pushing out some updates every weekend starting this upcoming one, so hopefully there will be some fun, new things for you to look forward to.

• Like Like x 37
  2. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    4:09 PM
    Congratulations on the job man, you deserve it :D

3. Ryan

Ryan Slimy

Apr 7, 2015
    Male
    Michigan
    Ryan
    Hero
    Project
    This is beautiful.
    Thanks Navi :)

I have been to Philly a few times and Pittsburgh many times, PA is a great state I'm sure you will enjoy it.

4. itzjaacky

itzjaacky Slimy

Apr 15, 2015
    IIIIIIIIIIII
    Dark Knight
    Influence
    First of all congratz on your new job ! hows the weather in phili ! Hope to see the new events / other stuff in the feature ~

5. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    3:09 PM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    Thanks for the update Navi, can't wait to see the new updates.

Hope you enjoy your new job buddy.

6. Eeko

Eeko Timer

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    7:09 AM
    Supremacy
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    I live in San Francisco wottttt

7. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    Congrats on the new job and wishing you all the best, excited to see what new.
    But never overwork yourself :p

8. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:09 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well well well. Congrats on the new job and juicy pay increase. Spend (and save!) that money wisely.

It sounds to me like you will need an extra lackey around here to help you code stuff for the server so you don't have to code more when you get home. Luckily, I know just the guy...

*cough*me*hack*

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marty

Marty Headless Horseman

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Broken
    Shadower
    Horizon
    Congrats mate. You deserve it!

10. KOSEM

KOSEM Selkie Jr.

Jan 5, 2015
    Israel
    Grats on the job! Dont work too hard to the point that you have no opportunity to take some rest after youre home from the daily job. Take it slow if you have to.

Whats more important, I hope the server stays stable/lag free, because thats even more vital than bringing in new content/updates.

11. lemontea

lemontea Master Chronos

Jul 14, 2015
    Male
    7:09 AM
    lemontea
    Bishop
    Halcyon
    Thanks for posting and letting us know. Like KOSEM said, its more important that the server is stable. Rather than pushing for mew content. I feel like this server has already more than sufficiently provided the experience that we are looking for from an old maplestory server.

Congratulations on landing your job, and I wish you the best of luck in it!

12. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    Congratulations!!!!!!!! SlimeGrin And wow, a cross country road trip? That could either be a ton of fun or completely exhausting, haha. I'm so excited for you. MapleF5 The server is doing great because you all built it on a stable foundation. Any new content is icing on the cake.

Fund me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. npfenix1

npfenix1 Brown Teddy

May 18, 2015
    Male
    Under the bridge.
    5:09 PM
    *LURKING*
    Marauder
    I'll first congratulate you for getting a good catch like that.

Nothing comes cheap, I'm sure you worked very hard to get that job.
    As people multiply all the time, job isn't anymore as "granted" as it was before either.
    So good paying job is more precious than a lot of things right now.

Since your job entails a lot what you have to do for ML, don't get burnt out with it. Doing too much of something very often leads to that. Breathers and breaks are very essential, also goals and milestones that keep you motivated.

Communication & Resilience are the key here.

As long these kind of messages keep popping up,
    people can follow the things and remain calm about it.

So far I've been impressed how well this team works.
    Keep up the excellent work!

14. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    On the topic of updates, just hire people already. Plenty people at ccplz are capeable of what is needed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    9:09 AM
    Looking forward to what's to come!
    Again, congratulations on the new job :)

16. zook

zook Capt. Latanica

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    Around
    Candy
    Night Lord
    ~ ~ ~
    congrats on the new job and move to philly, im not far from philly at all

stay out of kensington

• Like Like x 1
  17. Losj

Losj Capt. Latanica

Apr 28, 2015
    Dark Knight
    Project
    Please our Lord and Savior. ( @Navi@Navi)

Enlighten us with new content
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3