1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Washing] How To Wash - As a Gif

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mott, Aug 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    5:06 AM
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    Hello fellow Maplers,

So after explaining how to wash a couple times to different people and being told how confusing it is, I wanted to help those who are more visual learners such as myself a representation of what's going on when you wash, albeit regular washing or MP washing. I created these gifs as a dramatic oversimplification.

If possible, I don't want this thread to devolve into "hp washing is bad" or "how to fix hp washing" arguments. Instead if you could help me by telling me how I could improve the gif. If you are new to washing, did this help? Is it too confusing? Are there aspects that could be clarified? How can I clarify without adding a wall of text? Frames too fast?

Ty for your feedback~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Great Work Great Work x 20
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. TermiteLover

TermiteLover Brown Teddy

Nov 8, 2021
    12:06 AM
    Guildless
    Can you make a 3rd Gif going over stale washing? That's the one that seems to trip up inexperienced players the most, and I can't seem to explain it in a way that they understand easily

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    12:06 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I think it's great! definitely a good aide, however I also personally still found it abit confusing because there's no visual guide to where my eyes are supposed to look. I see "Fresh AP" at the MP bar then the numbers changed so I assumed thats where I put a fresh AP but then the AP Reset came and covered the entire screen and then several things happened at once so where was I actually meant to use the AP reset? likewise for the mp washing and stale washing gifs I kind of got the idea that you were meant to use an AP reset on the mp and up hp due to the blinking but I wasn't sure if that was the end of step 1 or the beginning of step 20.

I feel like numbering the steps involved would make things clearer. but still awesome to see! i wish i could animate :(

its there after MP washing. not sure why they were bundled but creativity is an artists impression after all.

4. thsscapi

thsscapi Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    8:06 PM
    Jizoical, ZackSparrow
    F/P Arch Mage, Corsair
    Lemonade
    Agreed with what Tate said. It's too hard to keep up with what's happening.

A few suggestions:
    - Have transitions between each frame. Each element that comes in or leaves the frame should do so smoothly, perhaps moving in/out from outside the screen, or even just fading in or out. So viewers can easily keep up.
    - There is too much information. Grey out anything not important. For example, reduce opacity on MP bar in HP washing GIF (and vice-versa on MP washing GIF). Grey out other stats that you don't have to focus on.
    - Have indicators of changes. This is similar to the first point. For example, when the AP first changes from 0 to 5, have the "5" blink a few times. Likewise for the "+1" and "+4" on the stats.
    - Personal suggestion: Remove unneeded sections such as stats under Gear. I understand you may have included it for completeness, but remember this is for players completely new to washing and this is just going to confuse them. This should be a visual aid for understanding washing, not a one-stop reference.

That should make the GIF much easier to follow.

---

Also, when I first read the post, I expected this to be some kind of visual demonstrating "pools" of stats, and how AP flows in and out of it. So that players can understand how washing truly works as a mechanic.

Currently, this just looks like a step-by-step walkthrough of washing instead.

It's still a good animation though. Please forgive the straightforwardness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    5:06 AM
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    I included this in the MP washing gif! I don't think it works as a separate gif because stale washing comes after MP washing so it might confuse others more

Oooh I agree with this and if I remake I'll try to add something like this

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    3:06 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow