1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Other frankly embarassing loading times for *.maplelegends.com/* webpages

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by telemachus, Mar 5, 2019.

1. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    4:01 AM
    null
    Beginner
    null
    you got this shit behind 137 CDNs and reverse proxies or what? i get consistently piss-poor loading times (regardless of cache usage or dis-usage on my own part):

[​IMG](the above measurements are from loading https://maplelegends.com/lib/npc)

ye you read that right, somewhere between 17 and 18 seconds. now my internet connexion ain't exactly the fastest draw in the west, but i assure you it ain't no slouch and i ain't usin it for anything else at the moment.

hey, maybe it's my browser. but i tell ya hwat, i tested this shit with Firefox 65.0.2 (the latest stable version as of this writing, 2019-03-05) AND with Chromium 72.0.3626.121 (the latest stable version as of this writing, 2019-03-05) and boy all i got is some funky monkey shit. Firefox just hangs, apparently doing nothing, saying it's "resolving the host", and eventually either gives up or successfully loads. maybe my DNS is just shitting its pants or something, but it ain't shittin its pants resolving any other domain names, dig? Chromium somehow almost immediately gets an HTTP 503 response and shows its generic error page, before (eventually...) finally coming to its senses and lighting my shit up with those sweet, sweet green HTTP 200 headers.

my user-agent string: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0

to be more specific, that "Linux x86_64" is 4.20.13-arch1-1-ARCH.†

browser extensions/plugins i got on & shit:

if any of you buncha schmucks so much as dares to rehash another god damn "btw i use arch" joke i will f,strike you down

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. Mii

Mii Mixed Golem

Sep 21, 2018
    MapleLegends
    1:01 PM
    LilMi / miii
    Bowmaster
    ⚔️ Beaters
    weird. i get whole page in under a second, but mby I just have fast internet speed.
    although I DL that NPC html file as fast as any other file so it's definitely different than your graph... (around 160ms)

I use latest Chrome (with sync) and freshly cleared cookies / storage with disabled cache. I also use uBlock Origin

The only thing that I could note is sometimes taking some time is the fontawesome external css fetch, which is expected.

maplelegendsgraph.PNG
    speed.PNG

3. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    well i'm getting a file that is nearly 6 times the size in 237ms so i don't think it actually takes 16529ms to download the html, firefox just counts the entire loading process (including actually resolving the host so that a GET request can be made in the first place) against the first file loaded, i.e. the html

EDIT: [​IMG] (https://www.speedtest.net/)

4. Blonde

Blonde Capt. Latanica

Apr 8, 2018
    Male
    hell
    7:01 PM
    Blonde
    Bowman
    Let me know if I'm doing this wrong, or I sent the wrong screenshot, but I did this in Google Chrome and these are my results
    [​IMG]

It finished loading in 1.24s.

5. Mii

Mii Mixed Golem

Sep 21, 2018
    MapleLegends
    LilMi / miii
    Bowmaster
    ⚔️ Beaters
    ok after refreshing a couple of times, I seem to get similar results as you.
    perhaps this is intended due to ddos protection / bot blocking if too many requests?

longload.PNG

6. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    i should note that

and more specifically, once chromium finally establishes a connection, it wipes the network panel entirely (the thing y'all've posted screenshots of) and starts over with the HTTP 200's. that's why i didn't include a screenshot, because i'm not sure how to get a good representative one

EDIT:
    that seems plausible, although this consistently happens even after having not made any requests for, say, 36 hours. and when i do make requests i do so reasonably, i don't use any *.maplelegends.com/* webpages terribly often or in any unusual ways, so any such influx of requests sure ain't comin from me, and yet i consistently face unusually long loading times (and often abortive attempts to even connect to the server at all) pretty much every day when i try to access the website (say, to vote)

7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Have personally no load issues. However, have the past days that its just completely down. However, when that happens, it's down for everyone.

8. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    so, it seems to be that it depends on what DNS you use! apparently the DNS i was using wasnt caching aggressively enough or something? i'm honestly very confused since this is literally the only site that i have ever had problems with, and i had consistent problems every time i tried to visit any maplelegends.com page, including usually having to try 2 or 3 times on average since most attempts to get such webpages would fail entirely

9. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    on second thought, what is with the

shit that comes up before you can get into these websites?

10. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Similar as Cloudflare we are on a proxy to hide a lot of information about the site, but also to have DDoS protection. The please wait is an invisible check to see if you are a bot or not.

Takes me less than half a second though. Is it long for you?

11. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Ever since the V-Day update, I've been regularly getting this...
    Untitled.jpg
    when trying to load the game. I will get this message between 1-4 times before the game finally loads.

And then there's this one...
    Untitled1.png
    when trying to load the Forum or the main website. I have to refresh at most 3 or 4 times before the website loads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    that's what i figured. it takes a little while for me (6 seconds or so) but i guess someone is caching the results somewhere because i dont usually see it more than once per browser session

assuming that the """invisible check""" (emphasis on the "check" and not the "invisible", presumably) is getting some data from my browser, client-side, im guessing it takes so long because i use privacy-minded browser plugins that dont let very much entropy leak, so it takes a while for whateverthefuck it's doing (???) to come to a conclusion, and a lot of times it seems that it comes to the conclusion that i am a bot

i'm flattered, really, but i can assure you i am no cyborg.

ah, i thought that was just me and Wine being finicky. well god damn

yeah, that's why i created this thread basically. my experience is very similar, although switching DNS's helped

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  13. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Maybe instead of answering what the invisible message does I should also note that we are likely going change our web provider soon, since we had other related issues with them. Hopefully once that happens performance will improve

[​IMG]

Our game and website servers are completely separated, so this sounds like a different problem.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I have three different OSs when playing the game. My XP machines, my Win7, and my Win10 all get that runtime error message.

15. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    make another thread for it

16. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Blue Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    6:01 AM
    Depending on what else you are running in the background, 13 Mbps down would be below average for most users nowadays. If there are proxies in between server and client you will see longer load times. I find it odd that your upload is that much higher than your download. Have you tried running a program to flush out all your network adapter settings? I prefer NetAdapterRepair, it's free and easy to use and does a great job at resolving odd issues. And, if you can, get a bump in your speed from your ISP.
    [​IMG]

17. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    That means you are somehow not connecting to the game server, which again, is not connected to this issue, because its on a completely different server and setup

18. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    nothing that would consume bandwidth, at the time i did that test

most users where? nevermind the fact that lots of people browse the web on devices (PCs, cellphones) using WiFi or cellular networks, which can mean drastically varying throughput just between the router and the client, depending on the conditions and hardware involved

13Mb/s down is much more than enough to load a webpage (some text and the occasional compressed image)

right, obviously; there's nothing wrong with using proxies, but many-second load times for a single dinky webpage, plus the fact that most loads fail entirely and require manual retries, is usually not considered acceptable performance

i don't. i find it much more odd that your upload throughput is that much lower than your download's. in principle, they are limited by the same things so they should be equal, but on most consumer setups (like mine) the upload's is generally a bit (significantly, but not order(s) of magnitude or anything) higher, since ISPs don't need to throttle upload throughput that much because consumers are using the vast majority of bandwidth for download (uploading being done by servers, rather than consumers)

no.

as i state in the original post, i'm not running windoze at all

i'll call them, i'm sure they'll be right on it

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Blue Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    6:01 AM
    Really? That's backwards from my region, symmetrical connection speeds are usually twice as expensive here.
    I did overlook that you're using Linux, in which helping to troubleshoot may be beyond me. I usually stick to hardware issues.
    Have you tried loading the page with all your extensions disabled?

20. OP
    OP
    telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    tried loading the forums just now in a session launched as firefox -private -safe-mode

the "bot detection" (Please Wait...) seemed to take even longer (roughly 8 seconds), but otherwise the same. like i said, switching DNSs improved it significantly so i no longer have the "try loading it 3 or 4 times over the course of a minute until it works" problem.