1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Making HP Washing Truly Optional - a Solution

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Apr 25, 2021.

Do you think implementing this system would be good for the future of MapleLegends?

1. Yes

250 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Maybe

30 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    5:05 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    If you don't understand why my example shows that normal HP washing is easy, you probably don't know enough about washing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    Vox_Old.gif

..what are you trying to say..
    Vox_NoNX.gif
    Better?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    You sure it wasn't one per loot of a chance for an item/helm/pendant or trade the 'orb' in for HP? Saga has it this way.

4. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    8:05 AM
    Yes, I was talking about Croosade but wasn't sure if we can say server names here

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    6:05 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback so far. I'd like to address some of the points I've heard. First, though, I want to re-stress the main point of this suggestion:
    • The primary intent of this quest is to make HP washing effectively 100% optional on MapleLegends.
      • No existing character, old or new, will ever be permanently ruined.
      • We'll finally be able to rock the "HP Washing Optional" tag without it being a blatant untruth.
      • You'll be able to honestly tell new players in KPQ & LPQ that they'll be fine and can just enjoy the game and have fun.
    Also, please recall that ALL NUMERIC VALUES ARE SUBJECT TO BALANCE.

Points of Contention
    1. This quest will discourage continued voting because players' goals will be easier to achieve.
    I truly don't see this being the case. For one, the quest rewards a Max MP boost which will still require NX to be converted into HP. For another, simply voting and accruing NX will still be far more time efficient than spamming the daily on every single character. Voting is free and you can do it on as many accounts as you have the patience for. Personally, I vote on over 20 accounts daily.

Plus, how many times have you been playing ML and thought to yourself, "Damn, [Insert Class] is really sick. I gotta get me one of those." I think voting will be fine. SlimeXD
    2. Speeding up the washing process is bad for the server because long-term players won't be retained.
    If MapleLegends is lacking anything, it's certainly NOT goals. Having a fair amount of HP on a character is one thing, but what about their gear? And their level? And their card sets! And heck, what about that other new character you just made on an impulse?!

Upcoming players won't suddenly become apathetic once they complete their sixth month of dailies and find out they hit the HP cap. If anything, they'll be more motivated to actively play the game since they can enjoy their character without long AFK voting breaks.
    3. There's nothing stopping players from washing AND enjoying the game.
    This is absolutely true. I've often recommended this very course of action to many new players who come asking on Discord:

>"Don't worry too much about washing at first. Pick whatever job you like and play it. Make an extra account and start voting on it. You'll thank yourself later."
    In a perfect MapleLegends, every player would be this cool-headed and realistic, and we'd never have anybody complain about HP washing. HOWEVER... this is not a perfect MapleLegends.

Hear me out, because it may be hard to see from this perspective if you've been around for months or years on the server:

You're a newb on MapleLegends. You're bored/sick/on vacation, so you google "maplestory private server" and choose ML because it looks to be the highest quality. You join up and start leveling your Slinger. You're having a good time with some dudes you met in KPQ, until one of them mentions something called "HP washing." You're curious, so here's what you find out via your party/forums/Discord:

>There's this weird ass mechanic in the game called HP washing. It's a way to get more HP. You can convert any extra MP you've got into HP, and you get that extra MP by leveling up with INT.
    >The reason you need more HP is because if you don't have enough, late-game bosses are gonna one shot you.
    >The guides recommend leveling up with INT gear/base INT as a way to get extra MP. You don't have any.
    >They also mention some crazy shit called "MP washing" that you don't really understand yet.
    >Some of the forum threads say you should remake your character. But you were having fun on the current one and just got a really sweet haircut from the Amoria quest.
    >The gist seems to be that you're gonna need to add a bunch of points into INT, otherwise you won't get to fight bosses when you're high leveled.
    >All this while you're still trying to decide what skills to add, how much STR you need, and whether you're gonna want a green or blue Bamboo Hat.
    >This is all too much of a headache, it's not fun anymore. You uninstall the game and go play League instead.
    With regard to your point about buying leech, leeching from 1-120 is rather prohibitively expensive for a player starting with a single unfunded character. Even if you grind your unwashed char to 140+, there's a good chance it would still break the bank. This is why so many players just make a Bishop and plan to self-leech/sell leech instead. From their point of view, it's the easier and more efficient path to "having fun," since they can't main their first character.​
    4. New players think they're entitled to immediate returns/New players are too lazy to figure out washing.
    New players usually just want to have fun. The way the game is set up, it places the huge and unfair burden of a steep knowledge curve at the very beginning of the game, when many players are just learning/remembering how to play in the first place. You're putting this huge responsibility of "following the most optimized route" on a player who probably just got his head around what HP washing even is. This is often way too confusing for a lot of newbies to even bother with. Why continue when, after you've just gotten on your feet and feel like you're doing pretty good, you're presented with Do Your Taxes: The Game? In this way, the current MapleLegends is unnecessarily player-hostile.

Plus, we play games to have fun. We should set up the game in such a way that it encourages having fun. It's not a good thing if the game starts to feel like a chore within the first few hours.

Newbies are the acorns that grow into mighty trees. Without them, our forest will eventually dwindle. We want to encourage them to stick around for as long as possible. SlimeSmile
    5. Only very high level players/Level 200s should be able to complete a quest like this.
    Imagine grinding all the way to Level 180 on an unwashed character, and then, and ONLY THEN being able to begin doing a quest that will take several hundred completions over months to achieve what it's intended to. Total nonsense, nobody would bother -- they'd just wash the normal way from the start.

This would really only be good for Lv200s that didn't wash enough because they literally had no way of knowing they'd need more HP.
    6. No one would actually take advantage of the daily quest/Players will get lazier and complain about the MP quest being too grindy.
    This is part of the balancing process. The goal is to make the quest a viable method for boosting a character's HP, with its own upsides and downsides compared to traditional washing.
    7. A reasonable amount of washing is already easily achievable, even for a new player.
    This is a very legitimate point, but again the burden is being placed on new players who are just taking their first steps in the game.

Leveling with 60-100 base INT is certainly doable. Out of anyone on MapleLegends, I probably have the most experience in leveling unfunded characters with high amounts of base INT (150+). That said, it's certainly not a pleasurable way to play (in any non-masochistic sense). You're giving up 10-20 levels worth of AP. You'll need to be carried in your PQ parties. You'll be a weak grinding partner. You won't be able to play your Bowman/Sin/Slinger at full power for over a hundred levels, whereas the INT-based Mages gets a free pass for maximum power Lv1-120 (sans MP washing).

Also, you can still ruin your character. We don't get to say that HP washing is effectively 100% optional to experience all content on ML, because it just isn't true.
    Point(s) of Agreement
    OK, there's actually only one worth noting right now. SlimeXD

Some of you suggested that the quest should be available from Level 70, and I wholeheartedly agree, as long as the proper checks and balances are set in place to prevent overgain/cheese.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    120 base int, 100 mp washes
    That's 682,000 nx or 124 days of voting at 5,500 NX a day. With streak bonus, you're probably looking at 110 days of voting. With double NX days, closer to 100. Add in one event that yields ~10 AP resets? 90 days of voting.

120 base int and 100 mp washes.
    That alone will yield you 1,333 hp from the MP wash to stale wash conversion, or up to 1,500 on average with fresh hp wash. You'll have much more leftover MP from level up gain, and even more with INT gear. That will easily put you over the required 1937 HP/1292 MP that PandaOnPanda mentioned.

Considering the fact that new players will get to level 70 in the first 2 weeks of playing, telling them they have to do a daily quest that takes 15-30 minutes each day over 200 days doesn't sound that much better does it? How long do you think it'll take for them to get to bossing levels past 70? 3 weeks? 6 months?

The way I see it - people will make their 3rd job ranged character and then leech anyways when they realize their solo eph is 1/3rd the rate of the next best leech option. Then they'll quit anyways when they find out their minimum hp goals-'end game' attacker is a liability to any host.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  7. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    I don't think so, people still still play regardless of leech or not.

Not all bossers tend to only take fully washed people on runs, fun runs exist too along with other runs that their friends would invite together.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    Sounds a whole lot better than "sorry, you didn't put int into an assassin now you gotta restart your whole character"

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I reckon you believe you'd enjoy playing a 7-month old lvl 130 NL with 4k hp from doing 200 daily quests/100 hours of content. I'm here to say you probably won't.

10. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    I know this is aimed towards them since the quote, but I enjoyed daily quests/100 hours of content for ap resets.

I'm level 128 on my Night Lord and it has 14k hp. (My INT gear is on my Archer)
    Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.31.02 PM.png

11. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    Just like all the other numbers you pull out of no where, those don't correlate with the OP at all.... However, if the "100 hours of content" is something I enjoy doing like PQing or killing mobs, then yea, I would enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    Excuse me while I use BOLDED TEXT to refute how ridiculous this sounds.

That's not the point. Minimally HP washing is "easy" in terms of effort; however, learning the ins and outs of HP Washing and going through the effort to buy very expensive gear, gimp your character, and plan that far ahead- for a new player especially- is not. It's very, very daunting. People get very discouraged when they find out there's content they straight up can't do unless they metaphorically shoot their character in the foot for a long ass time, and there's even points of no return where they're just screwed. Even IF someone has done all their homework and knows the ins and outs of washing (which is far from the majority, let's be real), they can still struggle to hit certain HP thresholds barring having a ridiculous amount of base INT.

This suggestion, however, gives absolutely anyone the ability to, eventually, run content they wouldn't otherwise be able to run without making washing obsolete. It doesn't matter how ridiculous that sounds to you, but that's the difference between someone staying on the server and someone quitting out of frustration.

In addition, for people who ARE washing, this suggestion
    1) Prevents any player from getting fucked over by not having started soon enough. Having to invest more time in the game is way more palatable than having to restart and feeling like everything you've done up until this point is a waste, regardless of how long that takes.
    2) Provides MP in addition to HP washing methods, which means you need less INT to reach your goal. You'd still need the about same amount of NX, but needing a lower base INT and potentially less MP washing to hit your goal makes it easier for your character to be playable while you work your way up. Plus, you'd be able to reset your INT sooner, making your endgame character playable faster.
    3) Provides a means for existing players to get more HP. New players aren't the only use case. Imagine if you stopped at 9.2k HP to enjoy all of ML's content, and then Pink Bean drops out of nowhere and you can't run it? Imagine if you originally planned to have 13k HP, but now want to push for 18.75k (or higher)? Why should you have to restart your character in order to do that? It might be significantly faster, but at the end of the day people get attached to their characters and don't want to restart.

The fact that HP Washing is faster means is not an argument in your favor. If anything it which provides yet another argument for why this is a good idea- as an ALTERNATIVE that's slower, does not require any prior planning, and is future-proof.

I'm not saying this suggestion is unquestionably the right answer, but it's a damn good idea.

Finally, I'm gonna throw it back to what I was originally quoted (and please imagine me saying this in the most sarcastic tone possible):
    If you don't understand why this suggestion is a good idea, you probably don't know enough about washing.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    9:05 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs

(partially joke, partially wish) Staff when. I wish to see you changes maplelegends more enjoyable in future step by step.

I feel super weird for I'm doing almost same stuff with you (like a ranged class with insane potential from last year), but completely can't understand what you saying and totally agree on HP washing is big hurdle (especially for someone who can't use 3b+ like me on int gears, and abuse mage from lv.10 ~ eternity, from start of ranged characters life - in short, newcomers, who should be able to enjoy ML together with us.) and need to be fixed eventually, so heavily agreeing on OP's suggestion.

May I ask any furthermore explanation if I'm wrong? I'm totally open for changing my mind (or, I wish to think so) if your logic is reasonable. or, seems I don't understand about washing deep enough like you so saying above bullshits ......sorry for my noobish.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Tenyn

Tenyn Pink Teddy

May 8, 2017
    Male
    Australia
    10:05 PM
    applejam
    Corsair
    Hogwarts
    I think the main issue with the "120 base int is easy" argument is that players starting out have 0 funding and the only way to get damage is to add ap to their main stat. For a new assassin this means that rushing 120 base int uses up 24 levels worth of ap, causing their dmg to be severely crippled bc they can not pump luk. How is doing 10 dmg L7s at level 34 exciting? Even if they manage to push to lv70 where the real grind starts, what little funds they have scrapped together is still not enough to negate "losing" 24 levels worth of ap.

The first 30 levels of content (and lpq) are what the majority of new players seek to re-experience in an old school server and we should be able to let them have that without needing to worry so extensively about being locked out of end game content. Along the way from lv1-70 they will eventually learn about hp washing from chatting with others, so I think that lv70 is the prime time for them to be able to work towards that min hp goal for bossing without it being too overwhelming.

Sku's solution will allow new players to have fun actually dealing dmg and killing mobs during early to mid game and in turn they won't be discouraged just because they wanted to play a ranged character.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    Yes, this exactly. I would love to be able to play the game normally and still be able to boss later down the road, even if that meant I had to do daily quests for a long time as well as not having as much HP as those who washed.

It's also worth mentioning that I think A LOT of new players and returning players would come to the server if the word spreads that legends is TRUELY optional HP wash.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    8:05 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    i've set myself on this path once.
    63 base int (with 17int zhelm) at lvl 50, 80 base int at lvl 70.

i didn't pay for leech. This is my first char, no mage, very little external funds (afew mils from friends, I doubt anything above 10m), occasionally get free leech for afew percentage here and there (very likely less den 10% per level) from my friends, totally stopped leeching since lvl 100.

on top of that, im playing a Fighter, with actual cleaving skills suited for grinding (CA + Slash Blast)

im currently level 159 now. Did I regret this? No probably not. Maybe alittle for Paladin may have subjectively be a better choice.

Is it easy? No definitely not. Is it hard? For me, definitely yes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    2:05 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta

Hard agree on everything you wrote but this just seems highly unlikely.​

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Quite frankly, idgaf if this gets implemented or not. If it draws new players, by all means, go for it.

My opinion on this matter is that this idea is one that might seem like a good idea on paper, but once implemented, it will end up being a trap that will inadvertently cause people to sink more time into an attacker they wished they had planned better. And after they spend a year into grinding a lvl 170+ attacker with a minimum hp threshold that now seems inadequate or inconvenient, they'll come back and make more hp washing threads. :)

Like I said, hp washing is probably one of the easier goals in this game. Once you get to that point and realize what needs to be done to actually do anything worthwhile in this game, you'll understand and make a mage.

I'll leave you with a quote from a HP washing thread back in 2019 that resonates with me.

There's a valid reason why almost every older player washes heavier than the minimum requirement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    2:05 PM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    I feel like new players are really left out sometimes. My IRL Friends who play MapleLegends play this game maybe 2~4 hours a week but get really discouraged by the concept of HP washing so much that they just give up. I feel like this system would truly change things if I could tell them, just play and forget about HP Washing. You just need to put some effort. I'm sure 100% of them would have a much better response.

Please add this to the game.

• Agree Agree x 11
  20. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    8:05 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    the whole point is not to force players to make a mage, unless they geniunely want to play that class. If this is the case i might as well play v83, where at least i can make a FP and get 12 levels of Blessing of Fairy (+12wa), at least its not effort wasted once im done using that char.

thats true, but there are also older players who maanged to enjoy without heavy washing, like AioriaX.

Also, there's a huge difference between playable but can be better, VS totally unplayable

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1