1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make HP Washing Optional

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mettzi, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    2:47 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    The ammount of bias by players that haven't washed is funny. Oh well, shit won't change so it doesn't matter xd

2. OP
    OP
    mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    1:47 PM
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Uh, what about the bias by players who have washed?

A lot of disagreement about HP washing in general comes from players who don't want their effort devalued. These players put in effort to exploit a game mechanic, and they want everyone else to suffer the same fate. In their eyes, HP washing mustn't be changed at all. AP resets cannot be cheaper. HP washing cannot become optional. Otherwise it'll become an endless bitchfest about how "it's not fair."

They care more about the time they personally spent rather than the overall health of the server. Once again, selfish.

Correct me if I'm wrong rather than marking "Disagree" on my post.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  3. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    You can say whatever you want, It won't change things, hp washing is here to stay, deal with it. Removing it won't make the server better, it will just make it lose players and make things easy. But keep asking for it to be removed, go ahead, I don't really care either way.

4. OP
    OP
    mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    I'd love to hear your reasoning as to why we would lose players if HP washing was made optional. I would guess that the only people leaving would be the aforementioned people in my post. In that case, good riddance.

It seems that at least once a week there's a thread made by a player that basically says "I didn't HP wash. Am I screwed?" Is HP washing such a beloved mechanic and staple of the Maplestory experience that this change would cause a mass exodus from the server? Clearly not. That's ridiculous.

Throughout all of the old-school Maple servers of past and present, people bitch about HP washing. Most of the people that support HP washing are the ones who have already done it. As I said, they don't want their "achievement" to be devalued.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

6:47 PM
    OP, can you name me a server that has successfully gotten rid of HP washing? Genuinely curious if people actually actively play it (not sarcasm).
    Most of the ones Ive heard of that have tried to find solutions (automatically adding more HP per level, etc) have either closed or have very little players.

6. OP
    OP
    mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    MapleSaga (rank 3 on GTOP) is one server with this implementation. The boss damage is reduced on bosses such as HT and PB to compensate for unwashed players.

If Legends were to implement this change, I don't see any reason why it would doom the server.

I would say that most servers with optional HP washing, or none at all, fail due to being a poor server overall. Not due to their HP mechanics.

Legends would be the first quality GMS-like server to implement this AFAIK. The other servers are custom, buggy, corrupt, unpopulated, etc.

EDIT: Correction - MapleSaga increases HP gain per level on low HP classes. They don't reduce boss damage. My mistake.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    Kim already said that hp washing is here to stay... I don't understand why people can't get that into their heads.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Of course it won't be removed. People have been HP washing since the birth of the server, and that's why I'm not asking for it to be removed. I'm asking for an alteration of the current mechanics.

Until Kim herself shuts this idea down, I don't see any reason to stop the discussion.

Feel free to add something constructive to the thread rather than speak for the MapleLegends staff.

9. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

Interesting, however they're EXP gain is also 4x ours, leaving very little time to HP wash to begin with (vs our 2x rates, longer to level, more time to develop a character).

Im pretty neutral on this matter in general, ive played MapleLegends for over 2 years now and have never washed a character. I still horntail quite regularly on my bishop and have a buccaneer that has enough hp (with HB) unwashed to HT at level 131 - therefore, ill definitely have enough hp to HT at lvl 155. You definitely aren't "forced" (even if its in quotation marks) to HP wash to boss. You ALWAYS have the option to opt for another class (warrior, bucc, bishop) since they have the advantage of HP gain / MG.

I agree that if you chose to select a stronger class such as Drk, NL or BM, you should have other challenges, like washing. As for HP per level, I believe it is way too late to implement unless you consequently increase the HP of every single player whos already washed / leveled past level 1, individually. It would literally require a wipe or a new server.

As for decreasing mob damage, I think its absolutely obtainable to reach HP required for horntails CURRENT DAMAGE (EASILY as mentioned by others) if you set your priorities right.

At the end of the day, you chose everything: Class, HP wash or not HP wash, Gachapon, Merch, Hairstyles, Grind vs Leech vs Quest, etc. There are so many OTHER aspects of the game that don't involve horntail, and MapleLegends is definitely not centered around Horntail. If you wish to achieve a certain goal in the game, you must accept and take the steps required to achieve it.
    I will not accept the statement that "so many people" quit due to hp washing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    I don't know nor did I ever claim that many people quit due to HP washing. I simply don't have the data to back that up. I also fully realize that HP washing is not an unattainable goal. With enough planning, it can be done. Like you said, you can avoid it entirely. Just make a warrior, mage, or any other class that doesn't need it. My point is that it's an unintuitive and unintended (by Neckson at least) mechanic in the game.

There are plenty of aspects to Maplestory, but at the end of the day Horntail is still the endgame boss. Of course nobody has to fight Horntail. You can FM hoe, play Omok, make an Islander, or do anything else that you find enjoyable, but it doesn't detract from Maplestory being an MMORPG with an endgame. I think it's reasonable to say that in an MMORPG, players expect to be able to actually participate in the end game content, without exploiting, when they reach a reasonable level.

This is just my opinion, but progression should be gained naturally through grinding, questing, bossing, and getting gear. HP washing just doesn't fit in with the mix. It's so unnatural and unimmersive. Do it if you want. Just make it optional.

And please, someone give me a reason why HP washing is so great. There's no true difficulty in it. It's all about voting and pumping INT. What would be lost if it was made completely optional?

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    1:47 AM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    HP washing is indeed achievable, optional and not a necessity, and I agree that it is all about choices, and make proper planning for your choice.

Let's for a moment, limit the discussion on those who choose to hp wash.
    If you choose to wash, you have to work for it.
    So let's say reduce the price of AP resets, what happened?
    1) Unfair to those who have washed
    2) Causes extra customization of the features (but this isn't a 100% vanilla 0.62 server already)

The staff proposed to reduce the AP reset price, and was met with negative response because of sudden announcement, and lack of discussion and feedback from the community, hence discussion and thread like this is very necessary and important.

My stand is on reducing the AP reset price to <insert an appropriate amount, and this needs extensive discussion as well>.
    What about those who have washed? You do realise for those have washed, if they have desire to make new character, they too benefit from it, do you?
    Of course it's unfair, those spent NX can't be recovered, but what is fair? Don't expect life to be fair. Is RNG itself fair?

So what's the benefit of this? Lowering the amount of waiting for vote NX of course. Some may think this is fair or unfair, arguing you have to work for it and not lowering the price.

Then how about lowering it a little, but not too much?
    How much is too much? This have to be discussed thoroughly also.

Any new changes, there will be people affected, hence, changes should be implemented gradually, and not drastic changes, something like a buffer.
    I would suggest reducing the AP reset price by a suitable amount first.

Ok my opinion is biased maybe, because I haven't washed. But if I do washed before this, my opinion will still be the same.

P/S: In discussion, can we agree not to use sarcasm, or personal attacking anyone (not hinting or pointing finger at anyone who have done this). Counter the opinion with arguments, attack the idea, don't attack the person giving the idea.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Rod

Rod Selkie Jr.

Apr 18, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    I agree with this suggestion and I have washed in both of my characters. I know how painful it is and demotivating, especially when you're forced to wait to be able to HP wash because you can only buy 1 AP Reset every 24 hours, so you just have to play a mage in the meantime, otherwise you're gonna be useless either way if you play a class and you decide to wash without the NX required to do so.
    I think people who say that the server would lose players if HP washing wasn't a thing are completely clueless when it comes to game design, this is exactly one of the flaws in older versions of maple and Neckson addressed this issue in later versions. Not only that, but also the skill balance is so bad in the old versions of maple that even the pservers are addressing that issue themselves, or some of them.
    - The real reason why people, including myself, prefer old version of MapleStory:
    Because of the training pace, the Party Quests (One of the best features of MapleStory) which was completely removed in later versions, and the very few classes. It's not because the skill balance is terrible and it sure as hell isn't because you have to waste time and money on AP Resets to become a useful character.

Unfortunately, they don't understand that nobody likes HP Washing and that it should never be an obligation, so we'll have to deal with it... Anyway, making it optional like you suggested or even completely fix it, not only would improve the game, but it would also encourage more people to play the game, since they could finally pick their favourite class without having to worry about not being good enough later on.

mettzimettzi to prove them wrong, you should create a poll:
    Would you play if the game didn't have the dumb mechanic called 'HP Washing'?
    Options: Yes / No
    And then we'll see who's right

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. staunch

staunch Slime

May 30, 2017
    3:47 AM
    stevecook
  14. AGGrey

AGGrey Chronos

Jun 30, 2017
    Male
    MistDragon
    Dark Knight
    If hp washing was an unintentional feature by Neckson doesn't that mean that Neckson never intended for low hp characters such as Nls and BMs to do horntail in the first place? You should be thankful this feature exists so that if you pick an attacking class, you can even attempt Horntail.

15. Rod

Rod Selkie Jr.

Apr 18, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    If it was fixed, you could attempt Horntail regardless. Now if you don't HP wash you're still dependent on Hyper Body, meaning if you play with friends and none of them picked Dark Knight, you won't be able to enjoy end game content with them without having to add a random just because you need their buff. Also, in the official game NX was obtainable with real money, so this was never intended and they eventually fixed it. This is a BUG, not a game feature

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. debater

debater Snail

Nov 29, 2017
    Just a comment from the perspective of a new member of Legends. I joined Legends with three real life friends. We were super excited to play different classes (I was the bishop; they would be DK, assassin, and buccaneer). We all started playing, excited to level and one day get to do awesome endgame bosses together.
    - Well, then we learned about HP washing. One of my friends quit before he hit 3rd job. He wanted to play a Pirate; he didn't want to have to make a mage to fund himself to make washing possible/efficient. Because he couldn't, he chose to go to another server which would be more balanced. Does Legends want to turn away new players for this reason?
    - Another friend decided to leech off me. We were going to level together and have fun together. Instead, he had to pump points into INT and I carried him all the way to 2nd job, which was extremely boring and tedious. Again, we were all new; we had no funding, no equips.
    - 3rd friend also quit eventually. Keep in mind I tried very very hard to convince all of them to stay. He said explicitly that he personally hates not being "optimal" whenever he plays games (this kind of mindset is REALLY common for gamers, it's a big deal. Even the IDEA that one day your character won't be able to access endgame content is enough to turn people off, even if they never get there). The only way he could be "optimal" was to make a bishop to fund his attacker so he could actually play the class that he wanted. And even then, he wouldn't be able to enjoy it properly until he was way higher level, making all the early to mid-game content very difficult and tedious work.
    - In the end, the only person who stayed with Legends out of my group of friends was me. Why? Because I actually like bishops, and I had wanted to be a bishop from the start. I got lucky that my favorite class is also the meta class.

1) It lessens class diversity.
    • Funding makes hp washing way easier (through obtaining INT equips), and the meta way to get more funding is to make a bishop. Trying to wash a sin for your first character with zero funding is impossible to do efficiently.
    • Mages don't have to wash. People say this helps balance things. Well, the server in its current state is clearly not balanced (huge population of priests/bishops), and is skewed in favor of classes that don't need HP washing.
    • Theoretically, washing might only take a few months of voting. Well, you also have to multiply the cash spent/the time spent by 2 when calculating the costs in order to take into account the opportunity cost of all of that cash. A new bishop character made at the same time that you make your character will have had months more of cash to spend on gach and amass funds while you were saving up for wash. Moreover, all that time could have been spent playing in, voting for, and having a good time on a different server instead.
    2) It creates a barrier to entry for new players who don't want to play mages.
    • Exploitation of game mechanic: it's not built into the game. Unless you're a maple vet, you don't really have any idea it exists. By the time you figure it out, you might have already spent a bunch of hours on your character. Again this might make you quit and want to join a different server.
    • "It's not that hard/make a new character/etc." Well, my friends (and a lot of people my age) have full-time jobs, and voting every single day for months just for one character is super time-consuming. They play Maple to have fun, not to grind away as a bowman with 80 INT while having zero funds from gach/leech. They want to actually be able to do the quests and fight the monsters they're meant to at their character's level, and enjoy early to mid-game content. Otherwise, they'd have to make a priest/bishop for funds, which, again, would take lots of time.
    • People with funds have an advantage. They can get INT equips, and maybe other equips to make up for high base INT. New players won't have this.
    Finally, HP washing sucks. Like, it just does. It's not fun. It doesn't build community. It encourages leeching, harms class diversity, and discourages real team play among different classes.

So, should the server value accessibility, attracting new (possibly more casual) players and class diversity more? Or should the server value "fairness" for the vet players and maintaining their loyalty/investments more?

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Rod

Rod Selkie Jr.

Apr 18, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    You said it all.
    You should be entitled to pick your favourite class and enjoy training with it since level 1 without having to depend on other people because you have to add INT to your stats when your class doesn't even require INT. And I also know people who quit the game because of HP Washing, it just doesn't make any sense at all to have this in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    feel like the owner needs to play the game having 100 base int without funding on a night lord from levels 1 to 150

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Great posts. I fully agree and relate to both of them. It's nice to hear from the perspective of new players who didn't know about HP washing beforehand.

BadohsaiBadohsai I don't think I'll add a poll. If I were, it would be something along the lines of "Do you think this suggestion would benefit the server?" But even that wouldn't turn out well.

It would result in people voting No without providing any reasons or counterarguments. Just look at all the disagrees on my posts. Only a few of them cared to explain why they disagreed. If people want to give their input, I want to make them put effort into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    I can totally relate to this.
    I decided to spend years accumulate NX to wash for my future assassin, even though most probably I won't have the time to do bossing anymore by the time I finish washing it due to family commitment.
    This is a kind of perfectionist mindset which I can totally relate to.