1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make HP Washing Optional

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mettzi, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Kyle

Kyle Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    Male
    9:57 PM
    Paladin
    imagine looking at something so black and white

2. R0wdy

R0wdy Pink Teddy

Oct 1, 2017
    10:57 PM
    R0wdy / PPFingers
    Spearman, Assassin
    Because it is. There are two types of players. Those who wash. And those who don't. People who aren't washing are making that choice freely, so they have nothing to complain about. People who wash and complain are complaining for various reasons (it takes too long, blah blah). But that's still a decision you freely took. Proposing changes to make it easier amounts to whining.

It really is black/white.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    5:57 AM
    Thief
    the thing is hp wash is what makes this server custom and not anything like the good old maple we all liked
    maybe 0.1% of the player washed at that time and the thing is now is completely unlike oldschool ms atleast in global ms.
    i can back up vids from that time with nls not having the hp for ht and i already showed why hp wash was impossible at that time
    u mentioned ring and items that give hp, yet explained it will be custom and unlike oldschool ms
    the complete opposite is the truth
    in oldschool ms the approach of Neckson was to actually give hp rings/belts/other item to give hp to make bosses / high dmg monster like skele possible for nl/arch and i can back it up as well with data from that time
    i agree making custom changes is bad but the current situation is much more
    there are plenty solutions to this situation that doesnt fuck the veterans who already hp wash and i can mention some if you like

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    HP wash was not impossible - just very expensive. A lot of "pro" players from the 05-07 era did not wash because they did not want to remake characters; some of them did, however. And a lot of newer players from 08-10 definitely did wash if they were 'hard core.'

You are absolutely correct, however, that for the majority of people, it was not done at all. It was far too expensive to even attempt; 100 resets from MP conversion to main-stat would be 310,000 NX (i.e. $310) which is quite a lot, though certainly impossible for those with jobs (full-time or part-time; it would be a matter of saving and your financial status). HP washing is not something that makes this server custom. The problem is that we have free vote NX in order to obtain resets; that is the difference between then and now. We can get resets for free and thus it is implied that we should be using this free NX to 'benefit' our characters. Moreover, we are limited by the staff's decisions to give us X amount of NX every time we vote so that we must optimize even further. If a server decided to give out 10,000 NX or so a day per vote, it would be much easier and I personally believe there would be far fewer complaints.

Looping back to the bossing issue; I distinctly remember a Night Lord from Khaini's HT runs, a NL by the IGN 7heft, and he didn't have the "required" minimum HP like you are saying. Most of the "High HP" items I recall are post v-62 but I believe that is a call on the staff's part here at ML. Zombie Rings are the only HP items that come to mind; we already possess the Dep Star for HP (though we also have HTP and lack MoN). Belts from Dojo did not have HP - they are just All-stat items, but the high-end ones do come with some w.def/m.def that are a slight buffer. Medals and Monster-Book mods (titles) are definitely post-v62.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marc Antony

Marc Antony Master Chronos

Mar 24, 2016
    Male
    7:57 PM
    Reagan
    Shadower
    Brave
    This is a philosophical issue. Maplestory has lots of anti-player mechanics. The XP curve is awful, the weapons upgrade system is asinine, unbalanced classes, and HP washing. The benefits of easing these systems are an accessible game that's more friendly to people like OP who will reap limited benefit from a time commitment. The cons of easing these systems means weakening the challenge that players work to overcome with their friends and guild members, forming strong bonds along the way, and achieve enduring satisfaction that is really unrivaled in video games, in my opinion.

If that last sentence didn't give it away, I'm not of the opinion that HP washing should be made optional. I think it should maybe be made easier and I think the best way to do that is either increase the amount of MP we can get from INT gear, and by lowering the cost of AP resets. Beyond that, the system should not be changed and it should not be removed.

In my opinion, Maplestory is an ironically brutal game that hides its abusive mechanics behind adorable pixie sprites of characters and enemies, and creative and charming game worlds with a beautiful musical score. The aesthetic of the game is so detached from the nature of it and I think the reason Maplestory in GMS is so unsavory now is because the gameplay was eventually 'cutified' and matched up with the art style. That isn't a winning formula, and making games more simple and more approachable is usually the best way to make sure they don't survive. Runescape is a perfect example of this. The modified version of the game from 10 years ago, when it was more difficult, has almost double the userbase the modern version does.

Frankly, if you're playing v62 Maplestory, you should be playing it because you accept that you have to suffer a little bit. Suffering is the only thing that makes winning worthwhile.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Danny07

Danny07 Pink Teddy

Dec 18, 2016
    Male
    MrRogers
    Priest
    And nobody NEEDS a Porsche 918 Spyder but there they are and there I am -- wanting one. In either case of car or video game -- both are not necessities in life but the heart wants what the heart wants~ and mine will have its fill till the hearts' content. <33

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    5:57 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    I fully agree , after reading on the forum about hp washing i got to a conclusion that it is not necessary . i mean you can just ad ap to hp and that's it , of course u will loose damage wise but i think that is the point of the class creating , to make a choice ( u want a godly dpm no hp for u , u want to be a tank play a warrior or put ap in to hp) .
    ppl who want to change the system sound to me a little bit greedy , they want to have the best of both worlds without doing anything . I mean hp washing is an exploit and a bug it was not suposed to be in the game, but it is an option and you can get the best of both worlds all you need to do is invest time .
    if we will change this bug then lets change the xp lose on death , i can by charms for vote nx but i dont want to waste the nx and the time so lets just remove the penalty all together . and after that we remove other stuff to make the game easy , maybe add an option to create a lvl 100 character instantly or lvl 200 , maybe remove luk from mage equipment ?
    the game is graindy as hell it takes a lot of time and effort to achive your end goals , but that is what it is all about so leave it alone or go play royals i got to lvl 100 there in 2 weeks

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3