1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about washing too

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimmy, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    1:07 AM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Doing nothing solely on the notion that others have put in the effort is a logical fallacy. If we applied that same logic to the real world, it is entirely unfair that the elderly only had libraries and didn't have access to the Internet when they were growing up, therefore the younger generation should not have access to the Internet and should do all of their research using libraries. You see how silly this is? Upgrades make life easier for newcomers, yes, and it is inherently unfair that the older generations did not have the same luxury. But this is the way of things. Sometimes it is an upgrade, sometimes it is a correction to government / economics / social norms. Bringing this analogy back to HP Washing, yes - of course it is unfair to those who went through the effort and stayed vigilant. But when we KNOW it is broken and choose not to fix it is not rational. As Kimberly pointed out...

If MapleLegends begins hemorrhaging players and starts to wither because of HP Washing, should Kimberly just let the server die because it is unfair to the older players? A change is necessary - that should not be up for debate any longer. The question we're still grappling with is HOW this change should be done.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    10:07 AM
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    I've said this many times before and sadly I'm gonna have to repeat myself once again: old players aren't against the change because they want you to suffer like they did. They have been in this game longer then anyone, and thus they realise that if you add a system where you can gain 1.6k hp (at least since this removes the need to HP wash) it will just make everyone's HP go even higher then it already is, even the people who have washed already. This means that almost everyone will (flash) jump around with insane amounts of HP and dying becomes something of legend as it never happens again.

If you remove HP washing while adding this system you prevent new players from reaching these insane amounts of HP, but in turn you make older players broken beyond belief.

If you keep HP washing and implement this system everyone will become broken beyond belief.

So please, realize that in theory, this always benefits older players. It's just not a benefit they believe should be in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Alright, so thanks a lot for the replies so far.

I am going bring up another idea I had, which is free to be discussed

My idea basically involves the very soon coming Monsterbook feature.

Basically, my idea was to reward people that collected a specific amount of sets. Not just cards, but sets. This means having 5 cards of 1 mob counts as one set. So from now on I will refer 'set' or 'sets' as such.

Basically, if my counting went right, we will release Monsterbooks with around 300 monsters, which means 300 sets.

The idea I had in my mind is to introduce a ring that goes by 'tiers'. The more sets you've collected the higher the tier of the ring will be. Example, you have 30 sets, you will receive a ring that is tier one. Collect 60, and you can upgrade (exchange) your tier 1 ring for a tier 2 ring. The ring will be untradable and one of a kind.

The goal with this idea is to reward exploring and hunting at unusual places to help progress the game. As expected, the ring will be giving HP and a bit of MP, and the higher the tier (the more effort you did put completing the book) the higher the reward will be.

Personally I think its a pretty original idea and it also put a nice purpose on the Monsterbook feature, as well as extra rewarding the casual users that like to grind at the non 'meta' maps. Obviously the big question will be if the drop rates will and are a cake walk, and I am very positive that that isn't going to be the case.

Thoughts? I am completely aware some will say this may not be an 'end game objective' but it will make people do something else besides leeching, you can do it solo, and it rewards your effort filling the book. Furthermore, you spend time grind at weaker places to fill the book in exchange of strengthen your character.

Clarification edit: I am aware you can't wash with MP gained by equips, so the purpose of the extra MP wasn't to wash. The HP is to combat that bit.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Creative Creative x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. matt2946

matt2946 Slime

Nov 11, 2017
    Male
    4:07 AM
    Kiid
    Bishop
    This is a much better idea than having boss drops that give hp since we need said hp in order to do the boss in the first place. +1 vote for me

KimberlyKimberly any idea on what kind of stats the max level ring would give? I think it would need to give a very substantial amount of hp if it is going to replace washing.

5. Ayderac

Ayderac Pink Teddy

Mar 13, 2018
    Male
    Sweden
    9:07 AM
    Ayderac
    Bishop
    Abyss
    Non repeatable, rewards ingame play not leeching and uses a slot that currently doesn't have too good options. I like it!

6. mosshroom

mosshroom Orange Mushroom

Mar 18, 2017
    Female
    11:07 AM
    Chara, mosshroom
    Hermit, Shadower
    Halcyon
    Personally I really like the monsterbook idea! Mostly because i was planning on completing it anyways. Would like to hear peoples opinions who are not that into monsterbook stuff tho.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Added an edit at the end of the post about MP in equips not being able to be used by washing: I am aware.

8. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    Don't have much to say other than approved:cool:

9. Soyourken

Soyourken Dark Stone Golem

Jun 24, 2017
    Male
    4:07 PM
    Soyourken
    Shadower
    Family
    I think the point is that if we are able to implement this revised system well. It won't result in a system where everyone becomes broken beyond belief. It's not supposed to make things "easier". At least that's the gist of what I got from the initial suggestion by Kimmy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    question:
    does the book counts sets of the same card?
    or would we be forced to keep them in out etc?

alsoooo if it is really 300 diffrent cards and if we need to collect 5 of each
    that would be 1500 in total with some being easy to very hard to find.

i really hope the hp boost or maybe stat boost is gonna be worth it :eek:

11. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    You probably are not 100% aware how monsterbooks work yet. Basically, once you pick up a card it automatically gets added to the book, up to 5 each unique mob. No, you cannot get the same mobs over and over.

12. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    ohhhh i though it would only save 1 card and the rest we need to exchange later xd

somehow i though it would be similar to gms monsterbook :3

13. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    It will be similar as GMS' monsterbook, but the pre-big bang one, so not Crusader Codex that was released after big bang.

14. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    Doesn't seem to me that she suggested anything that prevents my points from becoming legit concerns.

It can come with effort or whatever, but at the end of the day all this will do is make the entire server have 1k+ hp more.
    Like mentioned before, I love this or other idea's that have been posted in the thread for a fresh server. But in a server where people have HP washed already it just adds onto the HP pool of already OP ranged classes.

Even for newer people that aren't super washed NL's yet, they will probably still HP wash a bit on their ranged classes, and have a much easier time reaching a state in which they won't need HB. And that's not something I'm happy about.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Cora

Cora Selkie Jr.

Apr 3, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Nier/EviHs
    ohh only know about crusader codex

and that also very late since ems never had the chance to get it before merge :eek:

16. Soyourken

Jun 24, 2017
    Male
    Soyourken
    Shadower
    Family
    This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If it comes with effort, it makes all the difference. The point is that to wash now currently requires a certain amount of time and effort put in, e.g. int/leeching/meso. If the new method goes a different route but requires an equivalent or more amount of effort e.g. time/meso/questing, what we do is redirect it into a different kind of washing, but without the need for int for that particular amount of HP. The entire server can already have 1k+ hp more, they just need to up base int enough to wash it and spend more time grinding. The way I envision it, is that if it's done, it's not going to be the preferred washing method for people who want to reach 15k HP, since their intlord + leeching will still be more effective to reach 15k HP, requiring an equal or less amount of "effort".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    The point right now is that the route to extreme amounts of HP is hard, takes a lot of investment, time and not in a fun way. And that's how it should be if you want to break the game by reaching these HP levels. It shouldn't be fun or anything like that. It should be discouraged.

I'm not saying I agree with the current HP washing system either tho. It's shit. But it's the system we decided to use 3 years ago. And all this system does if you put it on top of the HP washing system is make it easier and more fun to reach 8khp+ and make HB irrelevant.

Like you said, the entire server could already do this doing more grinding with more int and waiting longer on resets. And that's what should happen if they want to reach a state where they break the game and no longer need HB. If we only had this system, it would be fine. But it just adds up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Soyourken

Jun 24, 2017
    Male
    Soyourken
    Shadower
    Family
    Yes, this is exactly my point. I'm saying that this revised way of washing should be no less harder or require less investment, but just that instead of having to have done it at the start, you do it at a later stage, and it would be capped at a limited amount of HP.

Now, if THIS is the point that you disagree with me, then I'd just have to say we see things differently. But the reason I support this is that I believe that if done properly it wouldn't make things "easier", but just give a different path for people to take. People playing their classes shouldn't be shafted because they didn't add base int/have meso for int gears. At the same time, we shouldn't be just making HP washing easier either, because that invalidates the entire system. This is the reason why I put out 2 wordy suggestions with in depth elaborations on how I thought the slightly revised system should be.

All in all, what irritates me in this thread is that it seems people are having knee jerk reactions to what is being said without actually reading into it. This isn't everyone, and maybe I'm seeing it wrong too, but I would like it to be more of a discussion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    1:07 AM
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    My concerns are still around having the new route completely replace normal HP washing as a system. I believe the new system should be comparable to the old in terms of meso cost and time cost. This allows the new idea to address the actual 'problem' (remember, we're supposed to be solving an actual problem) of players missing out on normal HP washing without causing the normal HP washing to become completely irrelevant. This monster book idea does not address meso cost concerns that were raised, nor is it time-gated, which means somebody can do this monster book route at the same time as normal HP washing, which is something I wanted to avoid.

I think I can address all these concerns by having the monster book system give base MP rather than an HP equip so you still need to spend NX on AP resets to HP wash. Furthermore, you should have to spend mesos on 'something' in this monster book system. This addresses the meso cost concern, the time gate concern, and as a benefit it gets everybody out from popular maps into the whole wide world AND it even gives a small amount of mutual exclusivity to normal HP washing so people can't automatically or freely do both systems.

Then, the biggest difference between the two systems is that the new monster book system is available to those who 'missed out' on the normal HP washing system and that one system requires exploration while the other leaves you as a wet noodle.

EDIT: to clarify about the meso cost concern. This is to address the HUGE investment needed in INT equips for the normal HP washing system. To balance the two systems, I believe a meso sink should be needed to create a disincentive to do both systems. You can still do both, but it becomes more practical to do one or the other.

I completely agree with you and I hope I addressed these concerns with my idea above.

EDIT 2: ALSO, the quest suggestion mentioned earlier, but with MP as a reward instead of HP, could also be implemented alongside this and have a cap to the total MP you can earn from both? (maybe at slightly less than the maximum HP needed for a fully unwashed NL/BM/MM to reach 5600 HP at level 155 as this is a common request, but this is fine-grained detail.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I can tell you that the highest tier wouldn't ever give something like 5,000 HP or something. The point of the idea is for a casual user to gain HP without the need to buy overpriced INT equips, but if the person is hardcore enough he would still do both.

Seeing casuals do not buy int equips and most likely go with base int instead, I still do not think the int equips will be effected as much the concerns are. The hardcore people want more HP than the small bonus, and casuals that do not want be forced to make a mage first and then buy overpriced int equips will have a small boost to at least survive HT with HB. This still takes a lot of effort since the amount of sets you require will force you to also go after the higher level mobs, and thus makes it also a semi end-game project, and a very time consuming one (drop rates will be pretty low of the cards).

Its just.. an alternative. One that you can do solo, one that doesn't force you to make a mage, one that doesn't force you to buy overpriced int equips, but one that doesn't completely destroy int equips, since it won't be that powerful or easy. It will still be a grindfest, it will be one at weak maps, since you are forced to go to non-meta maps to collect cards, which will probably be a loss of mesos already due to less equips, and less XP due to weaker mobs. Thinking about it now its really unattracting and I don't think it will be seen as something OP, but rather boring if you are not into collecting... But its an option for a user to take anyway.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.