1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

NPC that sells ws/cs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jaynus, May 21, 2021.

1. Kirisame

Kirisame Selkie Jr.

Jul 5, 2018
    7:30 AM
    Peke
    Night Lord
    Pigu
    If player A is selling an equipment at 150m, and player B is buying it (B has 150m mesos). Meanwhile, player C is selling CS at 150m.
    So before the trade, total wealth of 3 players in total is 450m.

situation 1: player A, B trade the equipment with mesos directly, total wealth is 450m minus the tax.
    situation 2: player A, B trade the equipment with CS, player B buying that CS from player C, total wealth is 450m minus the tax.
    situation 3: player A, B trade the equipment with CS, player B buying that CS from NPC, total wealth is 450m.

You can see the difference here.
    Maybe we can replace the mesos with time cost to illustrate it more clear.

Let's say it took average 30 hours to get a CS or make 150m.
    situation 1: total wealth is worth 90 hours of playing time minus the tax.
    situation 2: total wealth is worth 90 hours of playing time minus the tax.
    situation 3: total wealth is worth 90 hours of playing time.

2. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    besides being used as currency, ws/cs are hoarded for speculation purposes. increasing supply doesnt help much but encourages more hoarding and prices still go up anyway. #greedisgood

3. OP
    OP
    Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    9:30 AM
    Dralith
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    How will price go up when there's an NPC that sells ws/cs at a fixed price? It is exactly this problem of hoarding and speculation that my proposal aims to solve

4. OP
    OP
    Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    Dralith
    Bruh

5. OP
    OP
    Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    Dralith
    Let staff decide the price and then it can be slowly adjusted. Either way, any changes implemented will definitely affect someone somewhere somehow

6. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    apologies, i was referring to the current free market mechanism and totally agree with you.

7. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    7:30 PM
    I’d rather see more ways to obtain ws than an NPC that sells them.
    I don’t think the op is a bad idea but I’m certain it won’t happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    Dralith
    Prices will still remain pretty much the same regardless of supply, unless the supply increase is drastic

9. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    4:30 PM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Tbf, the stretch between valentines and anni event is very long. A lot of casuals stopped playing, and there's isn't event raffles. Prices can change a ton depending on how many players come back...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GunzGaming

GunzGaming King Slime

Mar 25, 2021
    Male
    6:30 PM
    FatBlunts
    historically in many games, and in real life. long story short: Price ceilings set too low or high have different negatives/positives. Often not meeting the intention of the regulations applied. In order to sustain a price ceiling item, the supply of those items need to be controlled. With an NPC with unlimited supply, and a set price that is "monitored" - This goes against the theory of a free-market economy, which is self-regulating. And if that supply were to be regulated, much more drastic negative effects come into play.

Rather than creating a price ceiling, I believe a safer solution would be to implement substitutes that directly compete with how WS/CS is obtained. Something that still allows the economy to maintain its freedom yet continues to promote community engagement.

Craftable WS or CS. Difficult, engaging, solo or Party play content that gives the opportunity to craft such items with the only cost being a user's time. This allows other means of gaining high ticket items that don't involve the meso grind of leeching, merching, or other current methods.

But, this isn't designed in the original game, and neither is a tradeable ws/cs NPC, so doing nothing other than Gach %s is fine and is a simpler solution to increasing/decreasing supply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kirisame

Kirisame Selkie Jr.

Jul 5, 2018
    Peke
    Night Lord
    Pigu
    Dropable gacha tickets isn't designed in the original game either.
    The original game is pay2win.
    When you can get NX from voting, it's vote2win.
    Then it's removed from Cash Shop, and added to monster drops.
    The grinding / farming is buffed, by a lot.

But clearly, there is other contents like bossing and PQing.
    For the same amount of time spend, you always have higher chance to get gacha tickets from grinding / farming,
    because you kill more monsters during that time.
    And I've never seen any boss drop gacha tickets, only have seen it from boss summons and PQ mobs.

12. OP
    OP
    Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    Dralith
    Without a price ceiling, prices are open to manipulation. Whales can buy out a huge chunk of the market which will result in higher prices. This happened many times, which would only reinforce the notion that ws/cs price would keep rising. Less people will sell ws/cs which will further exacerbate the problem. Your suggestion to increase supply will only work if the supply increase is high enough to the point that whales can't buy out the market to cause an artificial lack of supply

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GunzGaming

GunzGaming King Slime

Mar 25, 2021
    Male
    6:30 PM
    FatBlunts
    Whales gonna whale. It's a free market, prices being open to manipulation is a good thing. In real life, yea, Jeff Bezos is too fucking rich and needs to chill the fuck out and share. But in a game, I feel it's fine. it's just part of the market system and nothing but a simulation. In terms of market "abuse", One solution is might be, you guessed it, substitutes. Whales got all them meso, lets give them something else to spend it on rather than treating ws/cs prices as their little plaything.

1. Meso-sink in the form of a monthly donation competition with a 30 day prize.
    2. Meso Gach/Chair Gach: Meso Purchasable tickets to gambling on Rare-NX or time-limited untradeable items.
    3. Tradeable ETC currency (1bill coin) that is taxed on purchase, at a MUCH lower rate than normal trade tax, or not taxed at all. This gives ease of access to a currency outside of the 2.1b trade limit and remains stable. WS/CS hoarding is risky and shortens the supply to actually use on items.

One reason why Prices tend to stay stagnant and not decrease is just stubbornness as well. Cs/ws is a VERY price inelastic commodity. There are no substitutes and demand is always there no matter the price, so even if supply is increased, That price doesn't move very much. If it does decrease, other sellers will buy and resell at the original price. An NPC selling at a set price just dictates that price, and now is the responsibility of the admin. If set too low, power creep becomes too rapid. If set too high, it does nothing. If set just right, it may stop the monopolization of the market and inflation, but then players will just find another item to use as a tax evasion ETC and toy with its price in order to profit. Then the cycle continues. Once you dictate the prices of an item, you then have to dictate all the prices of all items. I grew up in Cuba so I have some first-hand experience on the negatives of administrative market control. But this is not real life and just a mushroom game. Playing monopoly with cs/ws prices sounds fun anyone wanna give me a loan?

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
  15. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    technically there's an npc selling coins now - the prestigous shop

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    How i wish we could've given this idea more thought before we used coins. I would've prefer what you had suggested @ 100-150m and changing server meso rate to 0.5x or halfing meso drop rate.

• Like Like x 1