1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Complete defence formula

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sneakyking1, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Sneakyking1

Sneakyking1 Blue Snail

Mar 4, 2022
    5:07 PM
    Naond
    Beginner
    i would recommend the formula from warcraft 3,the way how they have % defence. such as 100 defence give 32% damage reduction

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    2:07 PM
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    I haven't played Warcraft 3 before... only Warcraft 2
    • What's the formula for the defense calculations?
    • Example:
      • Zakum Helmet = 150 def
      • Egged HTP = 250 def
      • 150 + 250 = 400 def
    Based on Warcraft 3's formula for defense... how much % damage reduction would 400 def come out to be?

3. OP
    OP
    Sneakyking1

Sneakyking1 Blue Snail

Mar 4, 2022
    Naond
    Beginner
    the reduction is different in different custom map and its changeable, therefore, its possible that maplelegend can do is graph out the possible equipment at each tier of lvl such as 50 55 60 65 and 100 above. and the ratio of monster attack, boss damage, the reduction % which are acceptable. since Zakum helmet are some what very powerful in this case which give 150 def, certain gear such as this can be re scale or re balance in term of defense,as long the stats of int dex luk str are the same, i dont think people would mind it.

4. OP
    OP
    Sneakyking1

Sneakyking1 Blue Snail

Mar 4, 2022
    Naond
    Beginner
    as number get larger, compare to early stage which 30 defence offer 15% reduction, 100 defence would offer 27%,and 400 would give 38% and so on. it doesn't multiple like 60 defense become 30% damage reduction, always maybe HP washing wont be needed anymore if this way works,sory, my english is bad

5. Koneko

Koneko Orange Mushroom

Jan 21, 2021
    Female
    KonekoDxD
    Bandit, Chief Bandit
    Cool idea, not sure how it would be implemented though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Junaki

Junaki Stone Golem

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Northern New York
    Google, Piks, Arkin, JunakiG, Doss, Nezi
    Hero, Paladin, Dark Knight, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster, Marksman, Night Lord, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Galaxy
    So you are saying defense should be based on tier level and not job specific? That would get rid of the whole "Warriors are tankier"
    Sorry, but I do not agree. They need to find a different way to subdue the whole HP Washing. However, in the process we simply can not just defeat one class over another.
    We can't just make a NL as tanky as a warrior. Now they would be Tanky and avoid most hits, in that case, why make any other class?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    HP washing is still a big part of the community, and a part of how MS is coded.

If defense formulation can be improved to:
    • Reduce Damage by 1k-2k, this would already be a big improvement on lowering the HP Washing amounts (without cutting into the HP washing issue)
    • For Example using MAXED out Def Equips:
      • if having +500def = reduce ~1k dmg, then that's 1k less HP to Wash
      • if having +600def = reduce ~2k dmg, then that's 2k less HP to Wash

Maybe? IDK... but most likely could be a hassle to implement, especially since Staff (volunteers) all work hard already! :heartbeat:

Currently, 300def only reduces damage by a little bit... ~50 to 290 ish over all, so most people immediately trashes the Def Scrolls.

upload_2022-3-8_10-42-28.png
    upload_2022-3-8_10-43-34.png

upload_2022-3-8_10-44-26.png
    upload_2022-3-8_10-44-53.png

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/guide-major-bosses-hp-required.41825/

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Oof those boss numbers are pathetic. Yeah honestly if def was tweaked just enough to reflect those suggested numbers, people would actually pick up defense. Or maybe "normal" builds would be more viable since higher gear would have better def/mdef stats.

I think a good way would to scale it a bit to reflect level trends, have a soft cap and then a hard fall off so people can argue over the sweet spot.

So like(spitballing, I barely pay attention to def numbers per level), maybe it's like 1def:1damage until you hit something like 150 def, where it becomes 1:1.7, and then at 250 it becomes 1:2, and then at 300 it becomes 1:2.25, and then after 350 it becomes 1:1.75, and then really starts petering off at 400(1:1 again), leaving 500 at 1:0.8 and falling off quickly afterwards, eventually 600 would be something like 3:1.

And ofc the damage reduction would only apply to that range, 250 - 300 would only add 100 reduction, not 500-600. And getting beyond 500 would not drop all of your defense to 400 reduction, it would just make every point invested afterwards only account for .8 of defense.

Job equips could reflect levels intended. Warriors would likely reach 500 fairly easier than everyone else. Thief and Pirate would have to balance for ranged, but since bandits can equip shields that can be somewhat balanced in their favor(though meso guard pretty much nullifies that necessity). Maybe brawler could have a skill add passive defense just to make it slightly fairer for them, but they still need to balance damage over survivability(or maybe str just adds passive defense?)

That was a fun thought experiment lol

9. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    Yeah defense in this game could have been way more useful for sure. I am not a huge MMO guy though besides Runescape and Maple. Is defense ever a big time stat in the other MMOs? I am not sure myself.