1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Link Skills

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Oatmeal, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Mano

Dec 23, 2019
    6:58 AM
    Alright this one's bound to be controversial but hear me out. Recent times have shown an interest in the staff and players of the server to create a valid alternative to the nuisance that is HP washing. There's a clear understanding that mechanics shouldn't simply be left alone to preserve oldschooly-ness, but should be modified as needed to create a more welcoming environment for players. That's why I think it's maybe time to open discussion about dealing with the other big problem plaguing old school maple servers: multi-clienting.

The Problem

Multi-clienting can be done to leech, get better farming map coverage, provide utility or extra damage in party play, and provide buffs. In the past, staff has made changes to multi-client farming or expedition play since they thought it was too powerful and needed to be kept in check. These changes have been meant to address gameplay becoming too easy rather than adjusting for quality of life improvements, but I think there's opportunity for that here as well.

Multi-clienting for buffs is a nuisance. The mechanics of having to run multiple clients and rebuff your main every 3 minutes doesn't make for good gameplay and lowers the accessibility of the game. It create a gameplay element around one's ability to manage windows and their system's ability to manage them, things which are completely disconnected from the game itself. In the case of multi-clienting for farming or bossing, there's an argument to make that one's ability to manage these things is a form of skill expression which can enhance the gameplay experience. However, in the case of buffing, there is no active component, your simply parking alts on a safe spot or in the fm and pressing a button every 3 minutes.

The Solution

That's why I suggest link skills. Link skills would work much like they do in the main game, except instead of providing a random buff or passive, they would provide any party buffs which the class has levelled. These link skill buffs would be self-only.

With these link skills, instead of having to level an alt on a separate account and then multi-client in order to access something like holy symbol, you could just level a priest on the same account, then get it for all the other characters on that account through a link skill.

Let's take the following account as an example:
    • Page Lv. 40
    • Priest Lv. 71 (Max bless, 1 HS)
    • Night Lord Lv. 120 (Max Haste & Meso Up)
    Here our page would have access to max level bless, haste and meso up, along with level one holy symbol through link skills. Now instead of having to multi-client these buffs, the player can just utilize them from the character they're actively playing.

Concerns

Now, this evidently creates concerns for game balance in expeditions or pqs. Normally slots are limited in such environments and buffs can greatly influence the classes which you choose to bring in. Obviously then link skills will not be available inside of expeditions and pqs to avoid destroying class diversity in these contexts.

There's also a concern for population being lowered. While anyone whose already playing on the server would know why the active population might be reduced due to such a change, new players wouldn't and would only see a lower player count over other possible servers.

That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's other possible issues that could arise with such a system, not to mention the complexity of developing such a thing. I encourage anyone to give any feedback or thoughts they have on this.

Thanks for reading.

• Disagree Disagree x 21
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    12:58 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I like the idea but think this would be too much of a gamechanger and destroy the oldschool vibe. Imo your concerns outweigh the benefits and your problem could be better solved by implementing "decent skills".

For those unaware they were buff skills that you could get on an equip (having them obtainable at a low rate on the last level of a timeless item would make sense here) that granted a weaker version of a couple skills (among others HB, HS, SE and SI).

It's pretty neat having the option of foregoing your SE mule as a NL at the cost of a chunk of damage but not being tooo much weaker.

Not saying this should be added either btw.

For more info you can check this link, no pun intended.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:58 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i think a very nerfed blessing of fairy is a better Idea

4. OP
    OP
    Oatmeal

Oatmeal Mano

Dec 23, 2019
    I'm not really sure I see how this change in particular would harm the oldschool vibe vs any number of the other changes which have been made to the server. I'm also not sure I understand why a system using decents would be any better. Not that I'm disagreeing. Any way of obtaining these buffs directly on a main is the point here really.

I think you're missing the point of this proposed change. The goal here isn't to introduce rewards for having alts leveled on the same account, it's to avoid having to multi-client party buffs.

5. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    Wouldn't this destroy the need for party composition? Everyone will just have permanent SE and HB?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Oatmeal

Oatmeal Mano

Dec 23, 2019
    Outside of PQs and expeditions where do party compositions matter? People already multi-client for grinding. Link skills wouldn't harm party compositions anymore than multi-clienting already has. Unless your arguing that artificially having a party composition where one person plays every character is somehow valuable.

Were already living in the reality of permanent buffs since people will just multi-client for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    5:58 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    For many, the primary aspect of playing this game is social, and this just kills it. No thanks. Multiclient isn't even that much of a nuisance, and removing what little player interaction there is in expeds for this seems unnecessary and unproductive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I think this is just too big of a change. At the end of the day, part of what validates some classes is the buffs and utility they provide. Giving any version of this buff would decrease the need to recruit these classes to any given content. I don't think multiclient buffing is that big of an issue personally.

What i would personally be in favor of (given the hypothetical case that the game was perfectly balanced and every class was validated) is to limit multiclienting in expeditions. This is a take i haven't given much thought to i must confess but my general ideas are that it would make balancing the game much easier. Utility skills would always have permanent unreplaceable value. Even a class like bishop who hardly finds a role in smaller bosses in favor of mules would have to be included if more exp is desired. The biggest con i can think about is running certain smaller bosses would be way more complicated since you'd need to find more people and overall less profitable if you need to split. I'd say that is inherently an issue with how unprofitable bossing in general in favor of leech/multimaging and less of a problem with this idea. Other problems like the natural inclination of playere to certain classes (NL) would mean that it's hard to optimize party given the current class distribution but i'd argue that would solve over time if a change like this were to be implemented. There's probably a bunch of other cons i missed out on so feel free to point them out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. DrChuchu

DrChuchu Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 21, 2020
    Male
    DrPikachu
    Night Lord
    As some have pointed out in the past, limiting multiclienting in bossing makes the game pay2win, where players that own multiple devices have a distinct advantage in bringing characters over players with only 1 device.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    That's hardly a problem. You limit the HWID for same computer usage and you make it against ToS for one user to bring in multiple characters that they are controlling. Measures like this have been successful in the past in other servers.

I'm sure most players that are advanced enough to multiclient wouldn't really risk their progress over muling at one boss anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:58 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    as ZoreleZorele said, the point is it affect the real player.

who have the mules will keep with mules, if is beter level up a mule than other char in same acc people Will keep muleing.

this suggestion is nice in point to "must to have", for example: if Archer d/c on ht people can be better with self se.

12. OP
    OP
    Oatmeal

Oatmeal Mano

Dec 23, 2019
    In what way would this harm the social parts of the game? Would people who are actively seeking parties to grind with others be the types to instead opt for relying on link skills? Why wouldn't those same people just multi-client mules right now since they can?

I also think you may have misunderstood, I specifically mention link skills wouldn't work in pqs or expeds.

13. OP
    OP
    Oatmeal

Oatmeal Mano

Dec 23, 2019
    I see the sentiment that perhaps there could be an adverse effect on party buff classes being less wanted outside of the exceptions of pqs and expeds, but where exactly would that be? Is there any other context where someone couldn't just multi-client the buffs from mules?

14. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    6:58 PM
    Give archmages HS

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    4:58 AM
    Corsair
    Give us infinite inventory expansions so I don't gotta multiclient my storage mules to hoard trash scrolls.

• Like Like x 2
  16. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Most of them definitely did not read your post. I do not actually disagree with your premise, but I think this suggestion is probably impossible to implement in this game without some insane overhaul.
    Moreover, most mules are created for bossing anyway, so the impact might not be as much as you expect.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    3:58 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't think it should be all buffs but maybe one party buff can be chosen per character and not in bosses/PQs. Overall I really like the suggestion and think it would be a huge QoL improvement.

18. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    reminds me of how official servers gave almost everyone flash jump and deals shit lots of damage lines - only for players to leave the game

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    3:58 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't think it's comparable at all. People already bring mules everywhere for these buffs. This change would simply allow people to benefit from characters that are on the same account and remove the need to have multiple clients open.

20. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Made a similar suggestion before (implementing HS/HB versions of coke pills) but the community just don't like it. https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/coke-pills-for-not-weapon-attack.45373/

After some thoughts, I feel this is one of those "if it aint broken, don't fix it" kind of thing. even if changes does improve the game, not everyone would accept it if it breaks certain fundamentals on the surface