1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does a long Damage Reflect duration add depth to a fight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beegoratto, May 18, 2023.

Does making Damage Reflect last longer than 5 seconds make it more interesting?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    6:48 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Damage Reflect has a brief window similar to Weapon/Magic cancel where damage is reduced to 1, after which it has the added effect of doing a flat amount of damage to the attacker each ability cast. DR effects can last as long as 30 seconds, during which players will sometimes have nothing to do but stand around and wait for the effect to end.

I would argue, and I would imagine most players would agree, that the most “interesting” part of DR is the first 5 seconds, where the player has to transition from attacking to not attacking, and it is during this window that most players will die due to not reacting quickly enough. After the first few seconds, once everyone has stopped attacking, DR more or less just effectively functions like a Weapon Cancel.

My question to the server is, does this duration actually add any depth to the fight, besides effectively functioning as a timer burn and a pot burn for Buccs? What are people’s thoughts on instead having shorter DR durations but more frequent casts, such as 30 second CD but 5 sec duration for DR during PB main body? Or even transitioning back into a WC-like state after a few seconds to help Buccs save pots?

This discussion can also extend to Weapon/Magic Cancel but I’m more curious on people’s thoughts why DR lasts so long when the most interesting part of it happens in the first 3 seconds.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    9:48 PM
    Why is helping buccs save pots a key concern?

But overall I agree the dr/wc mechanic to be lame af. Would at least prefer it to have a much more variable duration to reward people who pay attention.

3. OP
    OP
    beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Because being forced to repeatedly smash your face into DR when every other class can stand there and wait isn’t really fair

4. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Isn't bucc already one of the least pot intensive class?

5. OP
    OP
    beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Depends on the fight. DR is not an insignificant source of pot burn that other classes do not have to deal with in PB and Auf on top of normal pot usage. Even worse in Auf if you have a warrior controlling Auf as they do not get i frames from rush as warriors already have monumentally large pot burn

6. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Would have made more sense if it is mainly warriors doing the burning then.

Don't see the justification for helping buccs reducing pot costs when they get so much savings from iframes in every other situation.

7. OP
    OP
    beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    It also helps warriors for what it’s worth. Pot burn also isn’t the only reason DR is problematic.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    10:48 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    in my opinion the most "difficult" of DR is this. When you know that the mob is in DR it's easy to "not attack" (I even use hammer to give 50k damage), maybe when the dr is running out it makes it a little difficult?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    5 more seconds to take my hands off the keyboard poggers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    9:48 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    I love damage reflect because it gives me a 30 second break.