1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Add a damage ranking system in bosses

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Endorphinss, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    3:15 AM
    Endorphins
    I think a fun competitive addition to the game could be a sorted list of how much damage every person did in a boss expedition.

All these bosses require talking to a npc to get out, what about adding another option to view who did the most damage to the boss and what is my ranking and damage output compared to others in the party.
    I want to believe the game already has a way to store how much damage is dealt to a boss since the exp distribution needs to be sorted somehow, and the highest damage gets a white exp line, so might not be hard to implement?
    The game already has @dpm function, but it only shows personal dpm and theres no way to compare against others unless dpm photos are shared

Of course such addition can sometimes lead to toxic behavior, but imo its adding a little competition and might give you a boost or motivation to get better gear or improve your damage output. The mobile maplestory game had this feature and i liked it

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    9:15 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Im worried for this can be death note about who to cull out next.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lucidcat

Lucidcat Mixed Golem

May 14, 2021
    give you a motivation to change class

• Like Like x 4
  4. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    2:15 AM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    We already have this. It's called whiting the boss.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    Endorphins
    thats what i said tho, i have no idea how i am compared to others, just who whited and did most damage
    maybe there was a minor difference between who whited and the rest? i think it could be nice to know

6. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    If you white a boss it doesn't mean you did the most damage when it involves multiple parties

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    I did not come here to get schooled with obscure facts by some maple nerd

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. GDLee

GDLee Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

May 29, 2017
    Male
    New York
    7:15 PM
    AMZN
    Night Lord
    Vengeance
    While an interesting idea, I'm personally against it.

As you already noted, @dpm exists for the part of the playerbase that cares to measure damage output and their character progress, and we have threads dedicated to people sharing such progress (e.g., Gurk's DPM Compilation Thread). I would consider myself motivated by gear and damage improvement, but not everyone plays this game to white bosses. Forcing a damage ranking to appear after every boss clear could be displeasing to those that don't self-select into the "sweaty" gameplay culture or facilitate toxic behavior (as you also note).

In any event, I find it most satisfying to not just focus on the raw DPM numbers going up, but instead focus on my DPM efficiency. Everyone has differing levels of funding/gear, but IMO skill expression in your class comes from making the most out of every stat/att you have on your character. OnionWhatever

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  9. OP
    OP
    Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    Endorphins
    didnt ask it to forcibly show the damage ranks after a boss, but to add it as an option in the NPC that gets you out of the map.
    meaning there will be 2 option: 1. leave 2. see ranks
    I dont really follow why its considered sweaty to want the knowledge of how much dmg i did and compare it to others in the party.
    will be much more sweatier to ask everyone to type @dpm before boss starts and ask to send images of their dmg

10. GDLee

GDLee Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

May 29, 2017
    Male
    New York
    AMZN
    Night Lord
    Vengeance
    Apologies if I misunderstood your original post. My impression was that you wanted an option to compare your damage against everyone else in the party or boss expedition. Even if the NPC didn't automatically display this ranking to everyone upon exit from the map, having a comprehensive damage ranking would require posting of every player's individual damage, no? My main point was that some people intentionally keep their damage numbers to themselves (or don't measure at all), which is a choice that I think we should honor. Creating a full list of damage for each character does force publication of information that some people just don't want others to have.

Now if your suggestion instead were that each player could choose whether to have their damage in the end ranking list, whereby the option to see damage numbers only showed stats for players that opt into the ranking list, I see no problem with this suggestion.

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. OP
    OP
    Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    Endorphins
    that is exactly what im asking for. Its ok to be against this idea tho OnionPretty

12. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    5:15 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Maybe this is something that only the host/leader of the expedition could have access to since they have the responsibility of coordinating and maintaining the integrity of their runs. It would be a powerful tool for them that aligns with their responsibilities as host, and ultimately they'd be the ones deciding what information gets disclosed.

While I'm all for transparency, I agree with GDLee that an open implementation such as this could create an even more toxic environment for some players who don't wish to participate, hence fragmenting the community even further.

That said, a server-wide leaderboard for certain expeditions could be very interesting.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    8:15 PM
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    Overall I’m against this because DPM is not an adequate surrogate for “contribution” to a run and could make people unnecessarily feel bad even when they shouldn’t (someone who does slightly less DPM but brings MW30 for the party for example is way more valuable to a run, in fact with your changes they actually make their damage comparatively worse than the rest of their party who benefits. How much of your DPM is because of my buffs?). This change creates an incentive for people to be selfish during boss runs rather than focusing on the shared goal of killing the boss as efficiently as possible. But at best if you wanted to implement this, an alternative could be showing you your personal “% of total damage done” to a boss or something like that, which is already information that could be obtained via @dpm anyway thus doesn’t create any extra toxicity.

• Agree Agree x 8
  14. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:15 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
  15. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I wish to share my 2 experiences which can be related with this.

1. Long ago, I played MMORPG named 'Tera', which is usually heavily-focused on raiding bosses. Basically, game itself didn't provide any dmg-meter (even for player himself!), and a genius guy made 3rd party app which can measure pty memberes dpm exactly. That was revolution. It was great to see where I am exactly, and check I'm doing correct or wrong (also was awesome to see pure DPMer below me - tanking gladiator lmao). but Human mind isn't always nice like that. after few days, squad ldrs started to get that app too, measuring runners DPM, and started to cull weakests. Also, started to apply 'required DPM x amount' on their recruitment. Players who didn't have idea for that app (remember, this was unofficial 3rd party app from community) was like ????wtf?, and even more, that community started to make 'public blacklist' for who is meh for their jobs, by lack of player skills, lack of gears, just got too old so can't react quickly, whatever. Game playerbase got way more toxic, and this made many players got sick for it, so many ppls quit because we're playing game to chill and joy, not doing daily/weekly dpm exam to be tested and being compared with others. Eventually, that game ended its service because in the end only toxic 150~200 elitists survived played it, almost 0 newcomers. I miss that game so much when it was great fun. :(

2. This is ML experience. there was a PB run which was 30man, usually not so harsh for condition and classes. Ofc, initial stage is most unstable stage. we failed few runs, also successed few runs. Sweaties suggested to make it 'Duty' on every members do @dpm30 on statue and body, and report it on host or post on disc server. After that decision, I was almost about to quit that squad because I'm joining that run for funsies, not getting weekly DPM exam in my 5~6AM localtime saturday which I wish to oversleep honestly. Anyway, that suggestion was approved and everyone started to post their DPM with Apologies for not being great - This is what I most disliked. I'd say it's needed in 14~20man sweaty PB run, because it's pro players fiesta for efficiency and more benefit, but applying it on 30man PB sounded like tragedy on me, which should be cradle for new PB runners to get their experience. I bitched a lot, abusing my position (I was kinda only active Drk at that moment), and host had really really hard time to deal with me to persuade me to stay (sorry LOOOOOOL). I strongly wish to say, nobody plays ML to be sorry and apologize even when they tried their best, and if host makes circumstance which it is unevitable, I don't think that run is worth to spend my lifetime and I never hesitate to leave that place. After 2 weeks, Sweaties got sick for other players noobish (LOOOOOL yes we suck, that's why we joined 30man PB instead of 14~20man), decided to leave squad and make their own squad gathering pro players only, and only noobs left. Brilliant moment starts here - our host didn't give it up, but tried to cherish leftovers, also tried to keep run getting new members. Honestly I can't understand how he was so passionate for keeping team like that, even in such desperate situation, but his effort got reward. that 'Must report DPM' rule got removed because who suggested it left because we suck, and now we're trying our bests with lesser pressure, and started to finish run in success because every weeks, we get player experience and get better with it, I'd say it's in orbit of stabilization. We even tried to save apple using compared with common usage last week, it was impressive! Still poggers post their @dpm 30 to motivate others and fellowers see their futures from their posting, having hope. We're improving week by week.

This is why I'm so heavily against for 'public shared DPM mesurance w/o getting agreement from player himself'. You can ask it to runners setting it as rule, like, 'must measure DPM in personal and post it'. but this shouldn't be forced by system. Once this get forced by system, I'm ready to quit this game before it dies.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    As someone who has a lot of experience playing games with public DPS meters, I wanted to chime in to offer a different opinion. In organized run settings (meaning not randomly matched with strangers on the internet who you'll never see again), I've almost never seen toxicity involving DPS meters. At most you'll see friendly rivalries, but more often than not someone's DPS results are usually either used as a tool for hosts to see if a player lied during their application, or to help give tips and advice to an underperforming player.

For the former, I actually don't think there's anything toxic about cutting someone from a run if they aren't supposed to be there. If you are not contributing as much as your teammates, then you probably should be on a larger squad with more players of your level. If the host and rest of the run wants to carry you because you're their friend, that's great, but it shouldn't be the burden of the rest of the squad to carry if one person isn't actually qualified to be on a run. Nobody expects a 155 attacker to get on to a 6 man HT squad and they're much better suited to running 12 man, and the same goes for a high level player who is unable to perform to the standard of their peers on the run.

For the latter, if someone has secured a spot on a regular squad but still consistently performs below what they should be, these DPS results can help identify problem areas. I've seen people languish on PB squads for months without improving their DPM because they don't realize that they can. So many obvious performance issues fly under the radar because there's no reliable way for hosts to monitor the performance of their runners. For many parties, these damage numbers aren't used to cut people from the squad but help people realize they could be doing better, and on top of that it can help identify skimpers.

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily think this suggestion should be implemented, as it seems the community isn't ready for it, but I did want to give an opposing viewpoint to what others have said. This information doesn't automatically lead to toxicity, especially for small communities. In larger, random-matched communities where anonymity is prevalent, I'll admit that I have seen this information used to flame others out of ignorance, but for smaller communities I've only ever seen this be a helpful tool.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    as they say ignorance is bliss

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. LiquidOoze

LiquidOoze Mixed Golem

Feb 7, 2018
    8:15 PM
    Where's your disagree asaniqqasaniqq? You won't be able to eat your falafel shwarma pizza sushi combo in PB no more :(

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Beasee
    Shadower
    I am Doordash’s most loyal customer, you leave my food out of this!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    Endorphins
    i think people are taking this way to far and deep, i will never imagine a blacklist for players that dosent pass a certain dpm threshold for any bosses in this server
    majority of the people here are very nice and mature enough not to go down that hill
    thats just how i see things

• Agree Agree x 3